“Good location, nice warm room”
Review of Hotel 31

Hotel 31
Ranked #220 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Good location, nice warm room”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was my first time in NYC. The room was very nice. It was small but i only spent my nights in the hotel and walked around all day. It had a queen bed and enough space for my big suitcase and other items. I spent 5 nights here so i can tell you this is very good value in NYC. The subway is less than a block away and you can walk to times square in 15-20 mins. The room is very warm. I didnt even use one of the blankets that were provided. The only thing is the shared toilet. If you dont mind that then you really be wasting money staying anywhere else. In my 5 nights i didnt have to wait for the toilet even once. Everytime i needed it it was empty. I paid $550 for 5 nights. Pretty cheap for Manahttan if you ask me. I thought the location might be a problem, but it really wasnt. I just took the subway everywhere. I am lazy :)

Room Tip: Buy a 7 day pass for $30 for subway rather than per ride. I only found out about the 7 day pass at t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
12 Thank Akshay N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I like both this hotel and the sister Hotel 17. Everything is very clean and the hotels are very well located. Nothing spectactular, but a very good value. Staff was pleasant and we will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Tommy M
West Yarmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Recently stayed here with my girlfriend for two nights. In terms of value, for about $100. a night in the heart of one of the greatest cities in the world, the hotel is tough to beat ! Staff at the front desk were very helpful with getting around the city and just about any information we needed. They were also very professional and patient when I first arrived and my manners were less than ideal. It took little time to get comfortable and enjoy being in such a great place. There's plenty of good delis, restaurants and pubs within a short walk. It was pretty awesome to walk back to the hotel after a late night dinner viewing the illuminated top floors of the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. Rooms were small but probably average for NYC; beds were very good. Shared bathrooms were about the cleanest I have seen anywhere. Two nights was a short time to experience New York. Hopefully, we'll have the chance to return soon!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert S
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I booked this hotel on Booking.com next time I'll use hotels website.Good location,less than $200 for 2 nights,private bath on Superbowl weekend. Quiet,clean what more could you want in this price range?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sligo11
Albany, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

I do not write reviews too often but I felt this hotel needed to be reviewed. We arrived to NYC early so I called to see if we could check in early. The person that answered the phone was extremely pleasant and said we could check in early. He also gave us directions from Grand Central to the hotel ( a nice easy walk down Park Ave). When we arrived I asked for an upgrade if possible since we had 2 beds and shared bathroom. We were immediately upgraded to one bed and private room. Everyone we encountered were helpful and polite. The lobby wash all but I loved the old fashioned feel to it. The elevator was small but again I loved the vintage feel to it. The room was very clean and the view of the Empire State Building outside our bathroom window was gorgeous. The only complaint I had with the room included no ice on the floor..it's in the lobby and we were unable to control the heat. The heater made it stuffy in the room but nothing unbearable. I was happy to have the private bathroom, but walking past the floor bathroom I noticed it was very clean. I think we saw one other couple on our floor the entire time so I am sure the bathrooms are easy to share. If you are looking for a quaint, old fashioned hotel with great staff and a great location this is your place. I would absolutely stay again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Jacqueline R
Seaham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in November. We opted for shared bathroom which wasn't a problem at all and were lovely and clean!! Hotel has a lovely feel to it, just what we imagined a quaint little hotel in New York would be like!! We stayed in room 410 and could see the Empire State Building from our bed, looked fab all lit up at night!! Hotel is in a great location too, walking distance to Times Square and theres a subway two streets away if u didn't want to walk!! Staff were all really helpful too. All in all our stay was spot on and we would definitely stay at Hotel 31 again!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lucy D
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in March 2013, I wasn't sure how I will like it because they have bathrooms on the floors but I was looking for something with good location, clean, cheap, with good reviews, really just to sleep in since I had 2 busy days in NYC and I was really happy, it wasn't busy so didn't have a problem using bathroom when I needed to, it was REALLY clean, cleaner than most 2 or 3 * hotels, my room was tiny but with sink and again really clean and the staff was really nice and helpful, I could check in earlier and leave my luggage there during the day when I was checking out. They even called Broadway theater for me because I wasn't sure if there is a dress code.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo