“The quintessential New York experience”
Review of Hotel 31

Hotel 31
Ranked #223 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I loved this place. But if I were to compare this hotel with just about any other anywhere in the US, I probably wouldn't give it more than three stars. And it has nothing to do with shared bathrooms. Our supposedly non-smoking room reeked of smoke and even my pillow smelled. Fortunately the window could be opened, so by the second night we were able to air it out. On one occasion there was no hot water, on another - the elevator did not work.

But I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone to stay here. It is a lot more than just a place to sleep. For a tourist, in my opinion, a hotel like that is a must. I wouldn't quite liken it to, say, visiting Statue of Liberty, but it is kind of like trying to get a cab in a middle of a rush hour and then riding in it across Manhattan, if only for a mile or two. You haven't really been to New York until you've done that.

I walked into Hotel 31 and saw that elevator with two doors - one wooden, one brass, both of which you have to open yourself. I walked the darkish narrow hallway to the door to the fire escape. I looked out the window of my room at those 20 or so story apartment buildings - so old and lived in. And I knew that I couldn't have been anywhere else, but in New York.

It didn't hurt that the staff was friendly, Wi-Fi was free, the street was quiet, yet subway station was only a block and a half away. There is a good sushi place right next door. And it was a very good price for Manhattan.

As for shared bathrooms, just be sure to bring a robe or presentable pajamas, so that you wouldn't have to get dressed if you need to use it in a middle of the night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wanitall

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend and couldn't have been happier. Yes, the rooms are small. Yes, we had a shared bathroom. But it was extremely clean, comfortable, affordable, and was in a great location. The subway is one block down. The staff was friendly and helpful at all hours of the day. Also, the cafe around the corner was fantastic! You get a discount for staying at Hotel 31. I would absolutely recommend this hotel and will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Good enough budget accomodations. Photos are accurate. Stayed for 7 nights and 5 of them the elevator did not work. Made the eighth floor room difficult to get to. No evidence of bed bugs during first few days but for some reason the last day we were eaten alive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank David H
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The location of the hotel is pretty nice. Comfortable to walk around, close to the subway station, easy to find restuarant and cvs. Staffs were friendly as well. But the room was small and bath room was seperated. At least I had sink in the room. I felt like I could find cheaper one with this level of facility since I only stayed at the hotel room for sleeping at the night. The building itself seems little old and the elevator was not small, it was tiny. But using small elevator made me feel like I'm in old New York. It was nice though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

In the city with a Days Inn going for $300 a night this little property is an absolute gem! The hotel's style reminded me of walking into the Hollywood Tower Hotel from Disney's ride Tower of Terror. The location is wonderful - just 5 minute walk to the subway and really about 20 minute walk to everything midtown. Of course the rooms are small - but what they lack in size they make up for in cleanliness. Seriously the best value in town!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 7, 2013

BAD: Tiny room window looked out to a brick wall, NOISY airconditioner, no fridge or even tea/coffee facilities, not really that close to tourist attractions, 8min walk from Penn station is a lie- 8 min sprint maybe...

GOOD: Shared bathroom was clean and available most of the time, did have air conditioning, good maid service

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in August, and then actually returned for 2 more nights in September when we returned to NYC and needed some unexpected accommodation. It really is a great little hotel, good location, 2 minutes from subway (the 6). You can walk a lot of places in Manhattan from here too if you fancy. We had a cosy room, and found the shared bathrooms always clean and available. This was all for an excellent price. Reminded us of a small old-school hotel in Paris. Really is a great place to stay if you are looking for budget accommodation in a central location, which is clean, cosy and safe. We'd go back again definitely.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple