“Great Find for Budget Traveller”
Review of Hotel 31

Hotel 31
Ranked #228 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, England
“Great Find for Budget Traveller”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Being a single mature lady I wanted somewhere central and reasonably priced, which was in a busy(ish) area and where I would not feel afraid to be out after dark.After reading lots of reviews I chose this hotel. It is a small ,old hotel, with the Otis type lift and old fashioned good service from staff. I had booked a single room ( expected a box) and was given a double),the porter ( a lovely man, even older than me) took me to my room. It was warm, cosy, spotlessly clean with a view from my window of the EmpireState building.
Only disadvantage was the lack of kettle or coffee maker, I missed my early cuppa, but there were good delis nearby.No internet facility.
I opted for shared bathroom, bathrooms were spotlessly clean as was the rest of the hotel,pride in the hotel shone from every polished surface.
You have Madison Ave, Park Ave ,5th Avenue within 5 mins walk and yet it was quiet at night, only disturbance was noisy people in next room.

I would certainly stay there again, value was amazing for such a centrally situated hotel.

I had a 7 day Metro pass $29 dollars this is useful for unlimited travel on subways, buses, the Roosevelt Island cablecar,,went as far as Brooklyn with it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mareliz65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Miami Beach
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Got a room with a shared bathroom for about $100 USD. Super cheap for the location!!!! Most hotel rooms in this area are much more $$$... Yea, shared bathroom but not so bad and there is a sink in the bathroom... Great for base to explore New York City.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Beautyquest
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I chose to stay at the Hotel 31 based on reviews on multiple sites, including this one. In addition because of travel the next day I wanted to be relatively close to Grand Central Station. I had chosen a double with a shared bath. The shared bath was no problem at all. It was clean and convenient. In addition there was a sink and mirror in the room which was convenient.

The room was small, which I expected. It had a desk and free wi fi. My only real complaint was (1) the room was dark and I could not do much about that. (2) There is radiator heating and no room control, so the room was pretty warm until later at night when the heat was turned back.

Some folks have complained about the small elevator, but I am used to small European hotels, which my wife and I quite like, so I enjoyed the quaint feature.

All in all for a place to rest at night, the hotel works just fine. If I planned to spend much time in the hotel, which on some trips I like to do whether working or on leisure, I would miss some of the amenities generally found in modern hotels. When Priceline and competitors are not yielding much below $200 a night, the Hotel 31 will make a lot of trips possible for guests on a budget.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2012

PRICE
The price was one of the cheapest in the entire Manhattan island, and even relatively cheaper than Comfort Inns outside of Manhattan!

LOCATION
Being located close enough to the main attractions is an extremely good thing! I've booked so many hotels before and location matters! When you're holding lots of shopping bags or would like to rest in the afternoon, you always wish for the quickest travel time back to your hotel.
It's about 5mins walk to the subway green line, 10mins to Korean town, 15mins to Macy's!

QUALITY
Given the price and location, the room was clean and spacious. It was a great stay overall. The only weird thing is that the safe deposit box wouldn't open up at random times (happened twice) but no big deal, just call the front desk for help.
Note that the heater is controlled centrally (you don't have access to change the room temperature).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MTL-BornTraveler
Adelaide
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in a shared bathroom double room in August. The hotel is dated no question, but the facilities are reasonably clean, and no bed bugs as for as I was concerned. The room is spacious in terms of NYC sizes, ample room for my suitcases and the in room wash basin is really useful. The air conditioner didn't quite hold up in the record heat, but then again, I doubt anything short of sitting inside a freezer would've helped on that 105f day. Staff are friendly if not too helpful. But if you're staying here, you probably know your way around NYC and are just looking for a place to put your stuff, grab a quick shower, (which, by the way, was ALWAYS available and ALWAYS clean no matter what time of day I used it) and out the door. Good budget option. Don't expect any luxuries. Not too noisy and just a short bus ride/cab ride to Times Square if that's where you're headed. Does the trick for a money conscious trip to New York.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank libertiness
Herts, UK
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself and my partner took a trip to NYC for four days from 28th October 12 staying at Hotel 31 mainly due to the location and positive reviews.
The Hotel is old be very well kept. The outside was covered in scaffolding which reduced the kerbside charm.
I liked the old style lift, very quirky. The room was small with no view but had everything we needed (safe, sink, tv etc) The shared bathroom situaton was never an issue, i believe there were 3 bathrooms per half a floor which was more than enough and they were always kept clean.
The location was the best part of the hotel, only three blocks from the Empire State building and 20 mins walk from Times Square. We walked everywhere from the hotel due to its central location. Granted the south of Manhatten is about an hour's walk.
Unfortunately Hurrican Sandy hit hard whilst we were there which plunged the hotel into darkness for 4 days, no electrics or hot water. Our flight home was also cancelled however we were able to stay for the duration at the hotel without issue which we were very grateful for.
The staff did their upmost to assist with the power issue, constantly walking up and down the stairs with torches to light the route and opening the doors etc.
We had to stay for an extra 7 days due to the weather, the last 4 of which were with power as normal so we were able to enjoy our stay.
There are better hotels in the area however for the price, Hotel 31 is hard to beat. And besides, you dont go to New York to sit in a hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple