“Clean and cheap”
Review of Hotel 31

Hotel 31
Ranked #220 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Our room was tiny, but clean. Nice flat screen tv. Great view of a wall. The staff leaves much to be desired. We would probably stay again, as the location was great. The hotel elevator is pretty scary. We were lucky that our room was right next door to the bathroom. There was a 2nd one on the floor if that one was full, which was nice.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The rooms are small, bed comfortable, the bathroom shared, everything very clean. Had no difficulty getting into the bathroom each time I needed it. Two on the floor. Even though our room was next to the bathroom, we never heard any noise from there, maybe because the air conditioner was so loud. The elevator is tiny and slow. Don't bring a lot of luggage. We were pleased to find that there was free on street parking on the block from 6 pm Friday to 8 am Monday. When one of us sat in the desk chair, the other had to climb over the bed to move around. Very inexpensive and well worth it. Convenient to the place where my workshop was being held.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We wanted a quiet clean place to sleep in a central location. The hotel was clean, the beds comfortable, it was safe and while the air conditioning sounded like it was about to take off into space it was fine. Absolutely recommend if you want a place to rest your head in a central location. Plenty of places to eat close by. While we were hardly there we really liked the charm of this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kiwigirlAucklandNZ
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We paid $130 USD plus tax for two single beds (one was a double) in July 2012. Hotel is very conveniently located on 31st avenue just below Park Avenue. Room is small but has a lot of character. Beds are comfortable. Very quiet although the AC unit was loud. Safe and blowdryer provided. Halls are also lovely and very clean. Shared bath is very clean and not a single complaint there. Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Stairs at end of hall for evacuation. Not crazy about the elevator - it looked old and scary - but there was never any wait. Internet was fine in one corner of the room only but it was fast. Would most definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Excellent location and decent rooms with an awesome price tag, I don't think you can do much better in Mid-Manhattan. Remember you get what you pay for tho, the hotel is aged and the rooms are tiny. But the beds are decent, hotel is safe and the staff is so friendly. I've stayed at Hotel 31 multiple times since 2005 and have always been happy with my accommodation. If you don't mind sharing the bathroom and plan on spending very little time in the room, this is your best bet in Midtown Manhattan. Within walking distance of Empire State Building, the location does not get much better.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cutepinecone
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We recently spent 4 nights here and have stayed here before. (We've also stayed in Hotel 31's sister hotel, Hotel 17, near Gramercy Park.) I almost hate to recommend this place because we want rooms always available to us. For the price and location, these hotels can't be beat. The rooms aren't fancy or large, but they're clean and comfortable -- and when we're in NYC, we're out of our room early in the morning and back late at night, so we just need a place to settle our things and sleep. We've stayed in only the rooms with shared bathrooms, though the hotel does offer rooms with private baths. There are only a few rooms on each floor, and each floor has two bathrooms, so waiting has never been a problem. The bathrooms are kept very clean -- essential, of course. In addition, each room has its own sink. From Hotel 31, we've walked all over Manhattan. It's an easy walk to Midtown and Penn Station, and a pleasant (though longer) walk to Washington Square, Little Italy, Chinatown, and Wall Street. Note that we're not kids: my husband and I are in our 60s. This hotel isn't the Plaza, but it's perfect at what it does. We prefer to spend our money on the great food and museums, etc. that NY has to offer. This isn't the place for everyone, but for a clean, well-located, inexpensive place to stay in NYC, it can't be beat.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JLKZ
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The only great thing about this hotel is its location... the rest is really poor. The sink in the room almost had NO water at any time of the day.... it was even hard to brush your teeth! The room was extremely small (i had to put my 2 suitcases on top of each other) and somewhat dusty. They had a room service menu in the room (provided by an external company) and when I called reception to be connected to them to order my dinner, I was told that the company had gone bust 2 months before... When I asked 'so why do you still have their menus in the room?' I was told: 'we are still waiting for them to come and collect the menus'...
The shared bathrooms facilities were clean but extremely small. I had my 6 years old child with me and it was impossible to be together in the same bathroom!! I once left my shower gel and never found it again!
I booked this hotel because of its location, but I will never go back to it!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Veronica G