“Watered Down Caribbean Food”

Sophie's Cuban Cuisine
Ranked #4,572 of 14,381 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Cuban
Neighborhood: Financial District
Neighborhood: Financial District
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I wish they would have stuck to their guns and put out real, bold flavored and spicey (as in spiced, not hot) latin food. Unfortunately (especially for me a hispanic), the full flavors of the caribbean are muted however this does not mean the food is bad only that it lacks what we would call full flavors. Is it worth eating, yeah, I guess so but don't expect to be wowed in any sense of the word.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

A very little, very nice place.
We got there after a long walk through the city and were really hungry. The more happy were we when we saw those huge portions. We had grilled chicken and it was really good. We also liked the Moro rice very much.
The service was friendly and the place seemed to be clean.
I would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Have had lunch a few times at Spohies on Lexington Ave between 41st and 40th Streets. The place is very busy, very clean and has a terrific selection of dishes.
I have enjoyed it each time.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

It was the first time I ever had Cuban food, and it was SO much and SO amazing.
Get there a little before lunch time rush because the place will be OVERRUN by Wall Streeters. They will not seat you unless your entire party is there, so everyone better be with you.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Roasted pork, rice and beans with a side of sweet plantains. Lunch couldn't have been better!