“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #244 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in the flower district with very easy access to the subway and Penn Station. The best feature was the quietness of the room, windows must be of good sound proof as I didn't hear much of the construction next door and/or sirens, so quite pleased with that. The first night, I nearly froze to death as the AC seemed to be "stuck", after all, it was winter still, but the problem was resolved the next day as I brought it up to the front desk's attention, and they were friendly and efficient about it. For some of you who feel that reception is not that friendly, remember, you're in NYC, that's the culture, so expect some formality (which I prefer really).

The rooftop bar was closed for repairs/remodeling, so I don't know how long that will take to be completed, so if that's an important feature for you, I suggest you check in advance wether is completed or not.

Didn't dine at the restaurant, but had breakfast one morning, but unfortunately wasn't thrilled, though I ordered just the usual eggs, toast and bacon, and coffee, they were out of cream, and they didn't offer cappuccinos or lattes so I skipped the coffee all together. Perhaps the hotel don't have the demand for proper coffee, as there's plenty of coffee houses nearby.

We normally wouldn't stay here for business, though my partner had a business meeting, but we were also seeing Placido Domingo in La Traviata at the Met.

Overall, great value for your money in NYC. At least it was during my visit!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Operatica
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Operatica,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is delightful to know that you found our staff to be friendly and our location suited your needs. It is hugely motivating for us to read such nice words from our valued guests. Your additional comments regarding our breakfast have been noted and we'll pass this along to the appropriate departments so that we can further improve on our efforts.

Again, thanks for the candid feedback and I hope we get the opportunity of hosting you again soon.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Rooms are small but clean. OK if you have a king size bed, but not really workable with two double beds. My friends could hardly move around their room without crawling over the beds. Rooms were small EVEN by city standards.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Hotel is in the flower district, not Chelsea.

Not a great street. But not far to walk to better streets.

Walking distance from Penn Station makes it convenient to get to, even with luggage.

Room Tip: Check in on Foursquare and get a $15 mini bar credit! (As of May 2013)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks on a business trip. When I arrived, I had 3 bags and the Taxi driver honked his horn about 5 times to get the attention of someone to come help me but that proved useless. After lugging all my bags in, two of the staff members were holding what sounded to be a personal conversation about their plans later and just sort of ignored the fact that I existed. The man who helped me was friendly though so he gets an A+. I otherwise didn't really interact with them all that much which is strange considering the length of time I was there. The hotel restaurant didn't suite my taste but was very nice from what I could see.

The rooms are small but this is New York City so I'm sure that's to be expected. The housekeeping was okay for the most part. Read as: the room was clean. Every day I was losing towels - I started with 2 bath towels, a hand towel, and a wash cloth. Day 2 I lost my hand towel. Day 3 I lost a bath towel. It was strange. I also realized about the 3rd day that in order to have the trash can under the desk cleaned out, I had to put it in the middle of the walkway. The WiFi was awful. I was on the 5th floor (it's a 16flr hotel) and couldn't get but 1 bar on my brand new iPad. My laptop managed 2 bars - enough to get onto Facebook and check some emails. But overall I can rate my WiFi experience at a 1. The "gym" was very tiny ... again ... NYC. And I never made it to the rooftop bar.

It was incredibly loud for my entire trip. I was right next to the housekeeping closet and it was either that or the stairway door but people were just in and out all the time and the slamming was ridiculous.I could hear other guests through the vent in my bathroom so clearly that I could have participated in their conversation (even with the door shut). And forget about sleeping in; Nearby construction started at about 7 am every single day and was LOUD.

The hotel location was great, it was nice walking down the street through the fresh flowers each day but I spent as little time at the hotel as was possible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear AuntBethi37,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We greatly appreciate any feedback positive or negative, and will do our best to address any issue. Please accept my sincerest apologies for certain mishaps during your stay. I have brought this up in my monthly meeting with my staff and have forward on over your comments regarding your room to the respected departments.

Thank you very much for staying with us. Below is my contact information if you find yourself back in the city.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Good location, Has a subway line just steps from the hotel door. It's right in the flower district, so it's nice to walk among flowers when getting back to the hotel. Close to madison square garden. Not the prettiest street in Manhattan, but not the worse either. The hotel is very clean, comfortable, and spacious for a NYC hotel. Looks like it's brand new or just remodelled. Staff is friendly. Free Wifi. Business center and Fitness center located in the basement. I have no complaints about this hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pepito506,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. It is always nice to hear guest feedback regarding our location and I am pleased that you have enjoyed the many flower shops around the hotel in the morning hours! We are looking forward to having you return. Below is my contact information.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have to disagree with previous comment. We stayed for 9 nights and had excellent service. The rooms are compact, but we didn't spend long in them as we were out enjoying New York. Complimentary WiFi is a plus.

Room Tip: The higher you go the quieter it is.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Emily L,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the staff. If you find yourself in NYC again, I hope you will come back. Below is my contact information.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Although the location is great, this is not a 4 star hotel. I wish I would have listened to the other reviews. Service was terrible. Housekeeping never answers their phone & front desk is rude. We had to call several times to get towels. The air conditioner broke & maintenance offered to bring us a fan! Beds are not attached to the wall so they move all over the place. Walls were dirty. Overall a bad experience.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jen11111345
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Jen11111345,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We greatly appreciate any feedback positive or negative, and will do our best to address any issue. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your experience with the staff and your room. I will be sure to bring this up in our monthly meeting next week with the front desk, for this is definitely an issue to discuss. I will also forward on your comments to our housekeeping department as well.

Thank you very much for staying with us. Below is my contact information if you would like to discuss further.

Statesboro, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very friendly staff, efficient check-in/check out, nice perks for Priority Club Platinum members, and fast elevators. Very comfy mattresses, nice shower, Aveda bath products. Main front doors are very heavy to open, wish they were automated. ONE ice machine for the whole hotel located on the floor below the lobby. Business center PC's and printer worked great for flight check-in, boarding pass printing, etc. Fitness center was small but well equipped given the space. Rooftop bar, one of the main reasons we chose this location, was closed for renovation.

Having stayed at many Indigo's this one feels like it's "barely" an Indigo. It's very tall and narrow, so things are pretty crowded--service carts crowd the business center/fitness area & guest floors around the elevator at certain times of the day, etc. It feels like there is just not enough space for everything. The rooms could use more electrical outlets around the desk & bedside tables, like the kind on lamp bases many places have now. The TV system can be fussy. Most Indigo's I have stayed in are "inspiring" in their design but this one feels like all the other tall/skinny hotels dotting the city but with Indigo wall paper. It's just missing the architectural extras that make Indigo special. Outside at night are constant car alarms, trucks beeping and backing up, dumpsters slamming--all the usual big city sounds which the hotel can't control. I was on the 17th floor and heard them all.

Overall it was a nice hotel, no real problems, but I'm used to more from Indigo in terms of design. If I had to stay in the area again, I would compare rates with the similar Holiday Inn a street over (Indigo and Holiday Inn are part of the same parent company).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends