New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea

Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea
Ranked #259 of 479 Hotels in New York City
NYC
“A lovely boutique with the kindest staff....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Like Magnus2009, my friends are staying at the Hotel Indigo as a result of displacement from Hurricane Sandy. ALL the staff have been unbelievably helpful, friendly and professional. The hotel is modern and close to Penn Station, Chelsea galleries, the High Line, etc.

The rooms are very clean, bright and modern. The bed is very comfortable. My friends have not had noise problems.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Jersey City, NJ. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I am blessed to be staying in this hotel as a result of being displaced from my home due to Hurricane Sandy! As a double victim (I'm out of my office for several months as that building sustained severe damage as well), it is refreshing to deal with a staff that is probably the kindest, most professional group of individuals I have ever encountered in the hotel industry! (And I've travelled a lot due to my career).
While not particularly "fancy", the Indigo provides comfort and ease in buckets. The bed is great, the place is spotless and the location truly cannot be beat! Major subway lines are within a block in either direction, and dining from fast food to gourmet is within walking distance. It is pretty much in the center of anything one must see in New York! I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
indigo21, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Magnus2009,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with your stay at our hotel. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed yourself and we were able to accommodate you in a time of need. As you have experienced, our staff is always there to take care of any guests needs or requests without hesitation. We hope that you are able to get back to your everyday life as soon as possible however will be here for you whenever you need. Thank you again for your review and let me know if you need anything.

Hotel Indigo New York City - Chelsea
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Overall, I am pleased with my stay at the Hotel Indigo. However, I have found that the desk staff are not nearly as welcoming as the staff at properties such as the Trump SoHo and the Mondrian SoHo. When I checked in, hardly a word was said. Not even a "welcome". But since then, I have conversed with other staff, whom are very friendly. Rooms are clean and nice, but the hallways feel run down, like a re-habbed, old Holiday Inn.
Not sure I will stay there again...tonight will be my 4th night, and I will be happy to go home.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor, so was afraid that the street noise would bother me. But I didn't have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sue_GR_12,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review on your recent stay. I apologize for the negative experience the staff provided you during your stay and I hope from reading other reviews you can understand that this is absolutely not typical from our hotel. I will personally look into and please contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you again,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for almost a week back in Sept. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Decent size rooms for location. Location is excellent for Macys, Empire State, Time Square etc. Very quiet. Would highly recommend but is on the expensive side for what you get. Agree with other comments on the restaurant, could do with a more main stream menu.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear 901eire,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your experience with our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the location, staff, and room sizes the hotel offers. In regards to pricing, we do have much higher rates during the fall season due to city demand which causes rates to go up. Please don't hesitate to contact me on your future trip to review rates as we would love to have you stay with us again. Hope to see you soon and thank you again for your review.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was traveling for business after Sandy and most of the hotels I stay in were book or god awful expensive.
I had high hopes and was excited to try something new...DIS A POINT MENT.
The rooms were fair. Small but lacking in charm. The bathroom was small and lacking anything WOW like you see in other small hotels.
The roof top bar was 80s-reject tacky and the restaurant was hit or miss but the decor was crazy. It was a painful experience.

With regards to service, they gave a stranger a key to my room and checked him/her in at 1:30am. Which was an awesome surprise but what was even better, is that the receptionist called :30 later to confirm that there was someone (me) in the room and started to ask me a bunch of questions. I finally convinced them that we could discuss it at length in the morning.

The hairdryer, iron and razors they provided were crapola - pretty standard for the hotel overall.

Oh, and this was strange, but the floors all felt slippery or greasy. GROSS!!!!

If I were you I would stay at the Roger Williams or the Thompson 60....this place was just Meh

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Cabelltini
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Cabellgirl,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We take comments such as these very serious and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is and please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Came here in June. The Indigo was a charming little hotel, the staff on the ground was pretty sparse but they did try to do everything they can to help. In general everyone was super lovely and helpful. The area we were staying is pretty divvy but the metro was close by so it wasnt all bad. The room was small but clean, well maintained and funky.

tiny thing to moan about - the conciege recommended a lunch place which we had to walk 4 long blocks in 30 NY weather in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank winniyuan
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were surprised at the spaciousness of the room compared to other hotels in NYC. Although we faced a fire stairwell and an office window there was plenty of sun. The area is an eclectic mix of floral supply houses complete with the early morning bustle of merchandise on the sidewalks and high energy wholesale transactions of stores and restaurants picking up their shipments.
The room was well appointed, modern, and clean. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit cramped but doable. The sinktop did not have room to leave makeup items but luckily I travel with a hanging toiletry bag. They were slightly skimpy on towels.
The staff was extremely helpful and welcoming. They didn't have a problem with a late checkout.
I'd stay again if doing business in that area.

Room Tip: The restaurant attached to the lobby is not your best bet for breakfast. We had 2 boxes of cereal, y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business