“good space for NYC” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #248 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“good space for NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were surprised at the spaciousness of the room compared to other hotels in NYC. Although we faced a fire stairwell and an office window there was plenty of sun. The area is an eclectic mix of floral supply houses complete with the early morning bustle of merchandise on the sidewalks and high energy wholesale transactions of stores and restaurants picking up their shipments.
The room was well appointed, modern, and clean. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit cramped but doable. The sinktop did not have room to leave makeup items but luckily I travel with a hanging toiletry bag. They were slightly skimpy on towels.
The staff was extremely helpful and welcoming. They didn't have a problem with a late checkout.
I'd stay again if doing business in that area.

Room Tip: The restaurant attached to the lobby is not your best bet for breakfast. We had 2 boxes of cereal, y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rellots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks and were sorry to leave. Staff very helpful and professional. We had some issues with a number of things not working (Internet in room was not reliable so we were relocated - thanks Jay) and while it would have been better if there had been no problems these were sorted out. Rooms are bright & comfortable, bathroom fine (not sure why so many have issue with the shower configuration) and the roof top bar was perfect place to recall our daily outings. We would definitely stay here again due to the location and friendly smiling staff

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter but higher rooms at the front have wonderful sunny aspect (and some li...
1 Thank BusinessBear
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a trip scheduled for Indigo the weekend after Sandy struck. We couldn't get a consistent answer from the reservation system and there was no answer by calling direct. It appeared that since the property is in Chelsea area that it was in the middle of the lower Manhattan power outage but looking at the Con Ed outage map we couldn't be sure. It was very frustrating that we couldn't get a straight answer from the 800 reservation system but that's about where our frustration ended.

It was a great and memorable trip.

We've stayed at this, as well as other Indigo's before, and seek them out. As I said we were concerned that when we called the 800 number one agent would say yes they're open and then we'd call back and another would say no they had had no contact since Monday and they were closed. Finally on Thursday evening (the night before we were to leave) I emailed the hotel directly. Yes I should have done this before but I assumed since I couldn't reach them via phone then email wouldn't work either. But I got a nice note back from the GM about 30 mins later saying the hotel was operational.

I'll cut to the chase--we arrived checked in and left our bags (it was mid morning). When we came back around 3 our room was ready. The only two hiccups we had were that there was very limited housekeeping services available--which there were signs advising this--so we ended up with only 1 bath towel the first night. The second involved the internet not working on Friday night but by Saturday it was on. Likewise when we returned to the room Sat afternoon from being out our room was made up (we'd actually made our own bed not thinking we'd see anyone from housekeeping) and we had 2 towels!

The hotel was jam packed (we noticed a couple of TV celebrities staying there, as well as some city residents--my assumption was their power was out but was very quiet (we were on the 10th floor). Even though I'm sure everyone working there was stressed from how busy the property was to worrying about their own families and homes it didn't show. The staff was great as always--although we tried to stay as low maintenance as we could.

So it was a great stay even with the record breaking storm.

As a side note re NYC; it was great. The subways didn't run south of 34th until Sunday morning but everything uptown was running, albeit busy and slow. But the property is in a great location that's close to the action yet far enough removed that you don't feel like a tourist. If you like walking it's in a nice neighborhood. I would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: We've stayed on the east side each time--there's no view but it was quiet on the 10th floor!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ohiocoalminer
Morton Grove, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Wonderful hotel, nicely located, well-apportioned rooms and easy check-in, etc. Absolutely would stay here again. The only negative is the onsite restaurant isn't very good, but that's not a major problem when there are so many places to eat within easy walking distance

1 Thank egswanso
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

After 2 nights of anxiety, cold and discomfort in the dark following Hurricane Sandy I was delighted to find a room at the Indigo. When I asked if I could get a good rate based on being senior, disabled and ex airline staff, I was given a better rate. I found the room to be warm and comforting with fine amenities. I was especially delighted by how bright, friendly and accommodating every member of staff was. Special requests were met. An an older guy, I found all these young people to be terrific. I wear braces on my legs which are not visible but carry a crutch, which is, of course. At a time when just being comfortable seemed a luxury I found so many people ready to help out...like the Bellman who ran to the corner to get me a taxi when I checked out. I've traveled around the world but I've never stayed in a hotel in New York. If this is an example, then I feel I'm encouraged. I don't have all the names, but Hanna and Jay at the front desk, Tracy (I think) and Iris at the restaurant, the gentlemen who delivered my meals and the Bellman on morning duty on 03NOV, have my gratitude.
If I may...the only thing I'd change is the overhead rain shower. Maybe esthetic in theory, but really not practical, especially with today's lo-flo plumbing. And too high to adjust. But that's a minor thing.
I'd recommend the hotel without hesitation.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Andrew G
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Good hotel. Very clean rooms, nice and helpful stuff, location great for all parts of Manhattan. About 20-30 min walk to central park, same to Greenwich village. For price we paid (360 for 2 nights) it was the best! Nice rooftop bar. Lots of places around

1 Thank AndrewSuh
Hillsborough, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great hotel! Clean, convenient and great service! Check in was was quick and pleasant! Room was decorated very nice, lots of towels, wine glasses (no plastic cups) roof top bar, was really cool way to spend the evening! Great location, restaurants, shopping, walking distance to alot of sites. Felt safe and wasn't noisy for sleeping! Would suggest to anyone and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We were on street side 6th floor no problem with noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends