“Fantastic Meal”
Review of Dirt Candy

Dirt Candy
Reserve with OpenTable
Dirt Candy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #622 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Between 1st Avenue and Avenue A
Transit: 6 train to Astor Place, L train to 1st Avenue, N&R train to Eight Street and F train to 2nd Avenue. The M8 bus stops in front of the restaurant. Banquet Facilities: We are willing to close the restaurant for private events. Please contact us for details if you're interested.
Description: Cutting edge vegetarian food with added flavor and no politics in this sleek and stylish restaurant that's a showcase for crazy, pop-tastic dishes from award-winning chef, Amanda Cohen. A below-the-radar wine list, raves from Gourmet and Bon Appetit, and vegetables presented in all their earth-shattering, gob-smacking glory.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Dirt Candy was, by far, one of the best dining experiences I have ever had! The food was excellent and the service was great. I can't think of anything negative to report about my experience. I dined with 3 friends and tried several different dishes on the menu. I was the only vegan, but Dirt Candy can make every meal on the menu vegan! We started with the hush puppies, which I didn't try but my friends raved about them. Our server brought me vegan maple butter for the bread--I could have eaten the butter with a spoon! We had the mushroom and the potato appetizer, both were delicious (and I am not a fan of mushrooms, but I couldn't stop eating it). For entrees we had the beets, beans and broccoli. The broccoli was outrageous! Smoked broccoli with kraut on a bun! For dessert I had the sweet pea ice cream which was was very tasty. Our bill, which included 2 bottles of wine, was just over $200.--very reasonable for a great night with delicious food and wonderful service at a "specialty" restaurant in NYC. I will be making my next reservation for Dirt Candy today..only wish there wasn't a 2 month wait list!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked DC for a valentines treat. Being a vegetarian for over 24 years I have experienced the good, the terrible and the uneatable meals restraunts offer.

DC is different, as soon as you walk in the door you are transported to a relaxed and ambient environment.

The menu is varied and well priced.

Staff are extremely pleasant and nothing is too much hassle!

Wine and beer options are varied in price and cater for all.

The food, well one word..wow! Incredible flavours, perfect portion sizes, extremely well presented.

Couldn't recommended DC enough.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Took me a long time to finally snag a Friday night reservation and coincidentally for my mom's birthday.

The restaurant at the East 9th street location, about 8 tables I think. I read somewhere the restaurant is moving to a bigger location downtown in 2014.

Vegan options are available and that's the first thing the waitress will ask if that's what you require. I must say, the portion sizes are small but at the end of the meal it was extremely filling. Menu changes seasonally and each dish has a vegetable theme.

The best appetizer would have to be the mushroom. The portobello mousse on it's own was bland but smeared on the toast with the pear & fennel compote really transformed the flavor. My sister's spinach mille-feuille was mentioned by the NYTimes in December 2013 about beautiful works of art as food--and it certainly was beautiful to look at; almost a shame to have to eat it. My potato appetizer was interesting--it was a salad of japanese yams, grilled sweet potatos presented like noodles. It was also a bit bitter.

I was really happy with my entree--corn themed. The tempura poached egg sitting on top of a bed of grits with corn cream was so rich it's not hard to miss meat. My sister was disappointed with her broccoli theme. It mentioned broccoli dogs so she assumed perhaps some type of hotdog made from broccoli instead of literally broccoli stalks resting in a bun. The broccoli stalks were smoked and had a flavor of bacon though. My mom's beet themed entree featured several colors of beets, beet gnocchi in a curry coconut cream sauce. I'm not a fan of beets but she thought it was delicious.

For dessert, my mom's celery theme was a cheesecake roll with peanut filling and a side of celeriac ice cream. I had the rosemary eggplant tiramisu. The eggplant appears to be just the crisps on top of the mascarpone tiramisu. And the rosemary is the infused ball of cotton candy resting next to it. My sister's ice cream nanaimo bar was made of sweet pea, mint and chocolate. She didn't like the scratchy texture as a result of sweet peas being the main ingredient in the ice cream.

I'm not sure I will revisit since this was a very expensive meal for vegetables--albeit creatively dressed vegetables full of flavor.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This restaurant deserves a higher rating. What I love about New York City- my home for more than four years- is that intimate restaurants with chefs that don't just make your meal, but tell you about your meal and may even serve it to you, still exist. This is a tiny jewel box where the dining is fine regardless of its vegetarian persuasion- I'm not a veg-head, but this is still one of my absolute stalwart favourites. Everything has been so carefully thought through, the flavours meld, and the depth is there sans demi-glace. A great evening guaranteed- chef Amanda Cohen will ensure it. You can't go wrong, but I LOVE their new cucumber dish, the Beans! dish with slow-poached tofu, and the mushroom pate. I would bring even the staunchest carnivore to this produce temple.

1  Thank Mcklauren
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We visited Dirt Candy on New Years Day 2014. Taking the suggestions of the very helpful waitress on board, my girlfriend and I ordered the Mushroom and Potato to start, and had the Broccoli and and Corn as mains. We also got a plate of the Jalapeno Hush Puppies for free, as the restaurant was celebrating an anniversary of some kind.

Let's just say everything was fantastic. In particular, the portobello moose in the Mushroom starter and the stone ground grits in the Corn deserve particular mention. The smoked broccoli dogs were also very tasty. I personally didn't think the Hush Puppies were that great, although my girlfriend would disagree.

For dessert, we shared the Rosemary Eggplant Tiramisu and the Ice Cream Nanaimo Bar. Once again, the flavours worked to perfection. The rosemary cotton candy was surprisingly good, and the mint and chocolate balanced out the sweat pea flavour in the Ice Cream Bar very well.

All in all, an excellent meal. We'll most certainly come back, and will definitely book in advance in the future. We were very lucky to get a table here, given that Dirt Candy is usually booked out weeks, if not months, in advance, and we were only in New York City for a few days. I really hope that 'Big' Dirt Candy (opening later this year) will hold up to the same standards as this restaurant, otherwise NYC will really be losing a gem!