“Playfully delicious”
Review of Dirt Candy

Dirt Candy
Reserve with OpenTable
Dirt Candy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #217 of 14,593 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Between 1st Avenue and Avenue A
Transit: 6 train to Astor Place, L train to 1st Avenue, N&R train to Eight Street and F train to 2nd Avenue. The M8 bus stops in front of the restaurant. Banquet Facilities: We are willing to close the restaurant for private events. Please contact us for details if you're interested.
Description: Cutting edge vegetarian food with added flavor and no politics in this sleek and stylish restaurant that's a showcase for crazy, pop-tastic dishes from award-winning chef, Amanda Cohen. A below-the-radar wine list, raves from Gourmet and Bon Appetit, and vegetables presented in all their earth-shattering, gob-smacking glory.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Who eats eggplant tiramisu with rosemary cotton candy and loves it? We do! Our meal experience at Dirt Candy was one of the most eclectic - with indescribably delicious explosions of flavor - that we've EVER eaten. Ever. The jalepeno hushpuppies should have been served for dessert. The homey feel of the restaurant makes you feel like you're eating a meal with 18 of your closest friends you've never met. Ha! Amanda is genius ~ that's reason enough to go there. Reservations are a must.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The strongest dishes are the appetizers and main dish. The coconut tofu was amazing. Their desserts are hit or miss and small-portioned. I also recommend their non-alcoholic wine-- I'm usually not a fan of non-alcoholic wine (I mean, isn't it just grape juice?) but the one they serves is amazing!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Excellent vegetarian cuisine showing off modernist technique and delicious fresh veggies.

The restaurant is in a small well-lit place with a partly open kitchen. Not loud, but just enough noise to encourage conversation. Small wine list with lots of good inexpensive bottles.

I understand that the menu changes regularly, so these options may not be available anymore. We had the jalapeno hushpuppies (unbelievably light with a great crispy shell), the "mushroom!" appetizer (pate, mushroom bacon - total umami bomb) and "cucumber!" soup (who even knew you could roast cucumber? lots of texture in this one) and the "broccoli!" entree (hot dogs! unexpected and delicious) and the "beans!" entree (enticing forbidden rice oreos are the nifty bonus on this one). Also had the eggplant tiramisu desert (with a great big cloud of rosemary cotton candy).

Go here.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great clean and gourmet food for anybody and everybody! Not just for those of us who prefer thoughtful and healthy food. Did I mention the food is great? It's creative, tasty, exciting, well presented and well done. Service was laid back but spot on and thorough. You'll love this place! Go!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I've been to many great vegetarian/vegan restaurants and and enjoyed some outstanding dining experiences. And just to be clear, this is a casual-style restaurant in the east village. However for overall inventiveness in the menu, food preparation and presentation, I would have to give Dirt Candy my #1 vote. We waited 2 months for our reservation (it is a tiny sliver of a restaurant) and had previewed the menu in advance. I wasn't won over with the menu as some of the combinations seemed strange. But that is exactly why you should try this restaurant. Go with an open mind and a good appetite: the portions are good sized and everything was a delicious adventure (even the eggplant tiramisu, which I said I was not going to try ended up eating more than my share). Even my finicky 12 year old son was enjoying the food and eating off our our plates!