“Amazing vegetarian”
Review of Dirt Candy

Dirt Candy
Reserve with OpenTable
Dirt Candy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #426 of 13,619 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Between 1st Avenue and Avenue A
Transit: 6 train to Astor Place, L train to 1st Avenue, N&R train to Eight Street and F train to 2nd Avenue. The M8 bus stops in front of the restaurant. Banquet Facilities: We are willing to close the restaurant for private events. Please contact us for details if you're interested.
Description: Cutting edge vegetarian food with added flavor and no politics in this sleek and stylish restaurant that's a showcase for crazy, pop-tastic dishes from award-winning chef, Amanda Cohen. A below-the-radar wine list, raves from Gourmet and Bon Appetit, and vegetables presented in all their earth-shattering, gob-smacking glory.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Amazing vegetarian”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

No description can adequately summarize this incredible culinary experience. The chef is brilliant, the setting is lovely, and the service is wonderful. Smoked cauliflower and waffles, parsnip gnocchi...you have no idea how delicious these gourmet preparations are until you try them and come under Chef Amanda's spell.

Visited May 2013

• Korean first
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, but not great!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I'm vegetarian, but my husband is not, but we decided to try this restaurant because of its unique menu. The jalapeno hush puppies were good (but the butter was great!). We really enjoyed the fennel soup, but thought the mushroom appetizer was okay (perhaps just not what we thought). We then shared the bean entree - the saffron sauce was flavorful and had a nice kick, but it was just too many beans. I liked the entree more than my husband, who only had a few bites of it.

You can get a half glass of wine, which was nice. It is an extremely small restaurant, so it is an intimate feel. Our waitress was nice and helpful.

All in all, a good meal, but we probably won't come back, especially if we have to make another early reservation (at least a month in advance).

• Visited May 2013
London
“Mind-blowingly good food”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Dirt Candy is a KILLER of a restaurant; I'd really advocate that you do your damnedest to get to eat there. We were fantastically lucky to get a
late cancellation, but if you have to hock your car to bribe your way in, it'd be worth it. The food is completely inspired; strong, clean, gloriously complex and blissful tastes. The staff are charming and any time we're back in New York I'll be booking two months in advance and thinking myself lucky if we get in. I still want to persuade them to relocate to London, but I don't like my chances. Buy the cookbook too; well-written, well-drawn and very touching (oh yeah, and the recipe for jalapeño hush puppies - next to the Holy Grail in my mind).

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mm_account1
New York City, New York
“Vegetable Brillance”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Went with my partner & 2 friends for their annual birthday celebration. The 2 friends are vegetarians so we thought this would be perfect. It was hard to get a reservation because its very small. Finally got in on the waiting list.
The food was amazing ( but VERY pricey). Very simple menu and each dish was creative and well thought out. I am a happy carnivore, so I expected to leave hungry.... But I didn't.
Over $200 for 4 people and no liquor.

But it was worth it! Just can't go as often as I may like. Only complaint is their beverage offerings are EXTREMELY limited. Just wine & one non alcohol beverage.... They should make some kind of fresh fruit infused drink at least.

All in all a lovely meal.

Alicante, Spain
“Modern Vegetarian Restaurant”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This small veggie restaurant had a number of good choices which were inspired in design but let down slightly in taste.

The wine list was excellent and the staff were knowledgeable and friendly.

It's not the kind of place I would visit every day but it was nice to mix up the usual meal options.

• Visited March 2013