“Just as described...Excellent”
Review of Club A Steakhouse

Club A Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Club A Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 14,592 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R & W trains to Lexington Avenue/59th Street.
Description: Established in 2008. Bruno Selimaj was born and raised in a small village on the Northern Albanian/Montenegrin border and began his life as simple farmer. But at the tender age of 18 and with his parents blessing, he embarked on a journey to America in search of new life. In an Albanian household, it is tradition that a guest is treated with the utmost respect and as a member of the family. Bruno brought these core family values to his restaurant and Bruno Selimaj's life defines true restaurant hospitality. In December 2007, Bruno closed his legendary restaurant after 30 years with a new idea and a continuing passion to strive to be the best. He re-opened his famed restaurant as Club A, a modern American steakhouse in the same location. His new venture manages to encompass the characteristics of a traditional steakhouse and new world modernism. His latest accomplishment has established Bruno as one of New York's legendary restaurateurs.
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Lovely interiors,charming waiter(Frank from Queens), great onion soup, tuna tar tare, onion rings and filet. It is not pretentious and not overpriced.Even the wines by the glass were reasonable. The owner is on top of everything and has operated this restaurant since 1978. There is construction outside on the street, but once inside all is lovely. The meal was better than any I had in Paris just two weeks ago. The ambiance upstairs, once it is dark, is quite romantic...twinkling lights in the trees......,Downstairs we found a quiet table for two along the red wall which was perfect...Loved the evening...

1  Thank celebrationtiger
Bruno S, Owner at Club A Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

celebrationtiger,

I am glad that everything was enjoyable when dining at my restaurant.

Thank you for dining at my restaurant as well as taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

As an owner/operator for over 40 years, my customer feedback has always been pivotal in making my future customer experience better.

I look forward to seeing you again when you do return and please do recommend to all your friends.

Bruno Selimaj (Owner)

Write a ReviewReviews (2,927)

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We travelled to Manhattan for a weekend to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Like many others we booked based on the fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor.
The road is currently dug up outside the restaurant which detracts from the attractive front of the restaurant and white lights. We arrived at 19:00 but were swiftly shown to our table even though our reservation was for 19:30. As we were sat at our table we were wished a happy anniversary which I had mentioned on our booking. Our table was upstairs right by the front window which would probably have been my first choice.
I tried to email the restaurant to book some way in advance for a reservation but unfortunately never received a reply to the email. I eventually booked a table a few weeks before through the Open Table website.
For appetizers My wife had the French Onion Soup and I had a rasher of Canadian Bacon. The bacon was lovely and my Wife enjoyed her soup. We were then brought a small complimentary portion of Mushroom Ravioli. It was nice but not something I would order by choice.
For our main course we both went for the Rib Eye and both were beautiful and cooked just as requested. I cannot fault the steak in any way and all the cuts of meat being served around us looked excellent. I really don't think you can go wrong with any choice.
We ordered two sides between us which was the Hash Brown and the Sauteed Asparagus. Initially we were brought mash instead of the Hash Brown. I pointed this out and it was changed but by the time it arrived I was half way through my steak. I found the Hash Brown more spicy than expected and I wasn't overly keen. This is more of a personal taste thing though.

We were then brought out a plate of assorted desserts which were complimentary with happy anniversary on the plate. They also took a photo of us which was presented to us by the owner at the end of the meal. This was a nice touch. Although it was nice to receive complimentary desserts they were not what I would have chosen had I been given a dessert menu.

I would recommend this restaurant as they really do know how to provide a quality steak.

However, I have graded this restaurant fairly harshly regarding our visit for a number of reasons:- 1) At $250 including tips I would not say it was truly exceptional. It surprises me a little that this is currently rated the third best restaurant in New York.
2) Although the service with regards recognising a celebration, the owner speaking with his guests and the photograph is excellent I did feel that getting our order wrong detracted from this. 3) A complimentary dessert was very welcome but I would rather choose my own dessert and although presented as complimentary it is clearly built into the price of the main courses.

2  Thank Paul_M1979
Bruno S, Owner at Club A Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Paul_M1979,

Reviewed April 17, 2014

The best steak I have ever eaten. This restaurant is brilliant, the food is excellent, the staff are wonderful and it is fantastic value for money. Overall a fantastic experience.

2  Thank StaceyAlbus

StaceyAlbus,

Reviewed April 16, 2014

When I was deciding on a steakhouse in Manhattan I was looking for a small, personal experience rather than a big corporate business clientele place. Club A Steakhouse is amazing. Bruno, the owner, and his family are on premises and making sure that the evening is perfect. Yes, he gave our table of 5 free mushroom appetizers and then a huge desert tray of goodies but that is not where the value of this meal was for us. The owners and staff cared for the clients! Ilir (?), our waiter was smart and pleasant. He knew the menu perfectly and explained the details for whatever we needed. He made suggestions that turned into winners (I had a T-Bone steak for one that was delicious). So, the food was all delicious- from the shrimp cocktails and escargot to the steaks cooked exactly right for everyones needs to the deserts. Add lots of cocktails and wine and I can only say we had a priceless evening.

2  Thank drretire

drretire,

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Food in this place is amazing. Went with our friends for their anniversary and we received a complementary dessert plate and nice group photo. The cheese cake was stunning as was the steaks, lamb chops and the largest sea bass we have ever seen. Staff and owner very attentive this place is a must Will be back when we next visit Nyk

1  Thank familydenn
Bruno S, Owner at Club A Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

familydenn,

Once again, happy anniversary to your friend's with many healthy and happy more!