“Wow!”
Review of Club A Steakhouse

Club A Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Club A Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 14,394 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R & W trains to Lexington Avenue/59th Street.
Description: Established in 2008. Bruno Selimaj was born and raised in a small village on the Northern Albanian/Montenegrin border and began his life as simple farmer. But at the tender age of 18 and with his parents blessing, he embarked on a journey to America in search of new life. In an Albanian household, it is tradition that a guest is treated with the utmost respect and as a member of the family. Bruno brought these core family values to his restaurant and Bruno Selimaj's life defines true restaurant hospitality. In December 2007, Bruno closed his legendary restaurant after 30 years with a new idea and a continuing passion to strive to be the best. He re-opened his famed restaurant as Club A, a modern American steakhouse in the same location. His new venture manages to encompass the characteristics of a traditional steakhouse and new world modernism. His latest accomplishment has established Bruno as one of New York's legendary restaurateurs.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I dined here last night as part of our honeymoon visit to New York. The night was perfect from start to finish. As soon as we arrived we were treated like royalty. We were seated on the second floor which is gorgeous with trees lit up outside. There is so much choice on the menu and whilst we were deciding what to have the waiter served us some mushroom ravioli, on the house! These were delicious and the pasta tasted so fresh.

I decided to have the Dover sole, my husband had the filet mignon, and we shared 3 sides: garlic herb fries, onion rings and the steamed asparagus. As soon as we tasted our food our first words were 'wow'. The fish was beautiful with a light lemon and white wine sauce and my husband tells me his steak was the best he's ever had and cooked to perfection.

During our mains Bruno, the owner, came and introduced himself. This was such a lovely touch. He was asking us about our visit to New York and when we told him it was our honeymoon he started telling us about his wife and family and how much they mean to him...very personal and really lovely. He then bought us both a drink to celebrate, another personal and lovely touch.

After our mains we were pretty stuffed but the waiter then arrived with a selection of complimentary desserts and a plate of fresh watermelon. Everything was perfect and we did find some room for these wonderful desserts! When we were leaving we thanked Bruno for our perfect meal (my husband and I agreed that it's the best meal we have ever had); Bruno then showed us photos of his grandchildren and asked a little more about the rest of our trip. Again, this was a really personal touch and a lovely way to complete the meal.

Overall, last night was the most perfect night. It's quite difficult to put in to words just how amazing it was, although I have tried to with this review! If you are visiting New York make sure you book a table at Club A...we wish we could go back every night!!!

2  Thank AngelaK1986
Bruno S, Owner at Club A Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

AngelaK1986,

First off, congratulations on your wedding!

I am glad that everything was enjoyable when dining at my restaurant.

Thank you for dining at my restaurant as well as taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

As an owner/operator for over 40 years, my customer feedback has always been pivotal in making my future customer experience better.

I look forward to seeing you again when you do return and please do recommend to all your friends.

Bruno Selimaj (Owner)

Write a ReviewReviews (2,846)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I searched for a dinner choice on TripAdvisor recently while in Midtown NYC for business. Based on my location, Club A came up highly rated. TripAdvisor never usually let's us down, and this choice continued the good reputation!

I came in early (5:00PM) and no one was there, and all staff were very polite and helpful. I was seated in a primary location on the second floor overlooking 58th Street. The music was fun and lively and the environment was very nice. I was soon joined by some young couples, and another single businessman.

The waiter explained the simple 'steakhouse" menu and the specials. I ordered the Tuna Tatar special appetizer and the Filet-on-the-Bone special entre. A class of Italian wine complimented it nicely. The Tuna was tasty, but nothing memorable, I prefer raw tuna in larger simple pieces, more like Sashimi. This was a little over processed, but served with a fresh mixed green salad and some chopped onion. The À la carte Filet was cooked just as I ordered, but was larger than I really wanted - but I suppose that's the nature of a steakhouse. The Filet was crispy outside and flavorful inside. I also ordered the sautéed spinach, which was still slightly crispy - which I liked. It also was not overly garlicky.

The service was very good. I noticed at the fellow next to me, that when his food arrived he wasn't sure he liked the side he ordered. The waiter and his assistant went out of their way to ensure that the customer had what he wanted, even it meant replacing the side ordered.

I ordered a second glass of wine, when they brought a "complimentary" dessert: mini cannoli, tiramisu, and chocolate crème puff. The crème puff was out of this world! It tasked like a light Beignet filled with light chocolate crème - yummy! This is definitely on my list when I return.

1  Thank Spa-Foodies

Spa-Foodies,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We decided to go to Club A based on reviews from Tripadvisor. First, I thought we were not going to make our 7:00pm reservation, so I called to see if we could move the reservation up by half an hour. I was told by the host not to worry, and that we would have our table ready upon arrival. True to his word, when we arrived 18 minutes late, our table was ready for us. We were actually greeted by the owner, Bruno, who personally escorted us to our table. ( Of note is that he did this with all guests) He graciously asked us whether we were visiting New York, which we were for the first time. Not even a minute after we were seated, we were brought a delicious assortment of breads. Bruno came back to our table to ask whether the room temperature was comfortable. Yes, he actually did this!! We ordered appetizers ( the calamari was fresh and crispy). Right after, they brought a complementary mushroom ravioli for all us. My boy didn't particularly like it, so he allowed my daughter to eat it as she loved it. However, all of a sudden they brought my boy a slice of tomato with buffalo mozzarella, totally complementary, since our waiter noticed that he didn't like the mushroom ravioli. That hit the spot! We ordered steaks and 3 side orders.y son and my daughter disagreed as to whether they should get herb garlic fries or onion rings. We went with the fries. We then ordered our steaks. Our food was brought in good time and, to our surprise, they also added the onion rings on the house, as the waiter said that he noticed how the kids couldn't agree on which side to order. Then, the steaks. If my steak wasn't the best that I've tasted, it comes darn close. I had the 24 ounce Ribeye. It was cooked perfectly and the flavor was absolutely wonderful. If the experience had ended there, the dinner would have been a total success. However, the best part was when I intended to order desserts. Before we ordered any of our food, I wanted to know whether there were any special desserts as it was my little girl's 10th birthday. So, before I even had a chance to ask, they brought an assortment of desserts that included tiramisu, cannoli and cream puffs covered in chocolate mousse. And yes, they were also complementary! Finally, the crown jewel of service. Before we got our bill, Bruno came by our table and gave my daughter a beautiful rose for her birthday. By the way, he came by our table at least 4 times to make sure that everything was to our liking. He visited with all guests just as he did with us. All in all, this was a truly fantastic experience. Club A is frankly a jewel of a restaurant.

LRG71,

First off, happy birthday to your daughter!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My date and I dined at Club A Steakhouse. The moment we stepped to the hostess stand, we felt welcome. We were met by the hostess and the owner, Bruno. We were shown to a window table on the second floor. The atmosphere is lush, to say the least. We had the jumbo lump crab cocktail, which was simple and delicious. I had the dover sole. It was light and rich at the same time. My date had the ribeye. It is not his usual cut, but he enjoyed it. During the meal, we received great attentive, but not intrusive, service. The wine list was familiar and wines we order elsewhere were very reasonably priced. Bruno, the very warm and entertaining owner, checked in on us and even indulged our curiosity about the place We finished the meal with dessert and the tiramisu had a strong espresso taste, which I loved, and was not at all mushy. One of the best I've ever had. There are so many restaurants in New York and we don't get back that often, but we have already recommended this restaurant to our friends and will visit again.

AmyPD_13,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I chose to visit the Club A Steakhouse on our recent visit to NYC for our honeymoon. It proved to be a great decision, as we enjoyed a wonderful dining experience, very much in keeping with the reviews we had seen on Tripadvisor.
Every element of the evening was top notch, from the warm welcome we were afforded by the owner (who wished us a long and happy married life), to the excellent service (led by our waiter Libiu), to a truly sumptuous dinner. My steak was among the best I've ever tasted and we were also treated to delicious starters, desserts and wine. At every step, the service was attentive but not overbearing, allowing us to feel at suitably relaxed throughout the meal.
A memorable night and one we very much hope to repeat in the future.

Liam O,

First off, congratulations on your marriage!