“Nice room, good find”

Ranked #211 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney
“Nice room, good find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

When looking up places to stay in New York, it was hard to find a place that was a) decently reviewed on TripAdvisor and b) had no history of bed bugs. Carvi Hotel was one of two hotels I found with good reviews, zero history of bed bugs and in my price range. It was a good find. The rooms are good for the price, it's located in a pretty central spot (nearby places worth checking out include MoMa and Momofuku Milk Bar's mid-town outlet) and it has what you need if you're after a nice, unfussy place to crash while in NY. The Wi-Fi is good, too.

One slight warning though – we asked for a cab to take us the airport, and the reception booked us a hirecar instead. We didn't think there'd be a big difference, but there was – a $90 ride to JFK versus a $60 cab fare. So, if you are thinking of asking reception to book a cab to the airport, just clarify that they are booking you an actual taxi cab, and not a hirecar. It will definitely save you some souvenir-buying money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ltlSydney
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear ltlSydney,

Thank you for taking a few minutes to drop us a line! I love your hotel qualifications, we take our customer service and cleanliness very seriously so this makes us proud!

I am very glad to hear that we were able to provide a nice quiet place for you to crash while in New York. Although, I do apologize for the confusion by our staff regarding the hired car. This certainly seems to be a mistake on our part and I assure you this has been clarified in order to avoid future problems.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I hope you had a safe trip home!

Victor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

The Carvi Hotel is family owned and you feel that from the minute you walk in the lobby. The rooms are standard with all the basic needs covered. The bathroom is updated and very clean. If you are doing business in mid-town NYC this is a perfect place to stay. All the staff was beyond friendly and efficient.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear jgfranzheim,

Thank you for such a lovely review! We certainly are family owned and our entire family appreciates your comments immensely!

I'm glad to hear that everything in your room was clean and nicely appointed. Seeing as how we are your home away from home...we would like to inform you of some renovations that will be taking place... We are going to be working on our lobby and guest rooms in the next few months in order to make your stays even better!

We hope to see you soon!

Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Good placement, clean rooms, quiet, warm environment. Just a little noise problems caused by air conditioning the building side, but nothing that can not be overcome with plugs for sleeping.
I enjoyed the stay in the Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Antonio S,

Thank you for taking time to leave us such a great review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again!

Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am very happy I tried this new place. The size of the hôtel is reasonable so I felt spécial for the staff. They gave me lots of good tips (where to get the métro with easiest entrance, where to get what I need in the neighboorhood) showing availability and courtesy.
I was alone in a double room so did not suffer from the lack of Space and by the way the room size is totally acceptable for New York city standards.
The room was very clean. For breakfast we have à voucher at the dîner indeed (did not tory so cant say anything) but also a starbucks at the corner! So Nice! The neighboorhood is nice too, Thére is a big pharmacy (duarne) whère you can find all you need! i Will definitely Côme back next Time I go to nyc and they said I would have 10% off!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Mathildenz,

Thank you for such a great review and hope you had a safe trip home to Paris!

We are so glad that we made you feel comfortable here. Our staff loves making a difference in guest's stays so thank you again for the lovely comments!

See you next time,
newyork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

After trying a dozen hotels in Manhattan last year, I decided Carvi Hotel is my favorate. The people at the hotel are wonderful and professional. A very quiet block in a great location with an access to many subway lines. It has everything I need - a small fridge, free wifi, free access to a computer and a printer in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank newyorkscuba400
Dear newyorkscuba400,

We are so glad to hear that we are your home away from home! Thank you for taking some time to leave us a comment and hope to see you again!

Gourock
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Carvi Hotel could quite easily missed in the midst of Manhattan. We were met by a very personable receptionist who's smile was most welcoming. We were booked into a small room without a window. We asked at once if there was a room with a window available. The answer was in the affirmative, so we decided to upgrade at once. While we did get a room with a window, we were looking directly into an office. The room being at the rear of the property, was very dark, and with office workers looking on, we decided to close the blinds, and curtains to have some privacy.
There was no restaurant in the hotel, but we were given a Discount Coupon for a small Diner located across the street. They advertised a 24 hour Room Service, so we did ask for Ice one evening. We later discovered that the porter who brought the Ice, had to go across the street to the afore mentioned Diner to get the Ice. This hotel was alright for someone adventurous, but not for somebody who preferred a little less of the "Faulty Towers" type Hotel.
We did enjoy our stay, but then we have a little bit of a "Sense of Humour", something we could tell our grand children about, if we had any grand children!

Room Tip: don't go back to this hotel if you wish to have a drink in the bar, there is none. Don't go...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank clydeport
Dear clydeport,

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave us a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that overall your stay was successful!

As we all know, space is the toughest thing to come in New York City. What we do to make up for our boutique scale is providing friendly service; it sounds like we succeeded in making you feel safe and comfortable!

I hope you had a safe trip home and hope to see you again!

Sewickley, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I am somewhat at a loss as to how I feel about this hotel. Positives: courteous staff; clean rooms; good location near where I had a meeting (2 1/2 blocks). Negatives: the room was a bit small, even by NYC standards, albeit well arranged to use all of the available space and adequate for one person - couples be warned; the hotel itself is a lobby, rooms, and a small roof deck, so there are no amenities to speak of; the prices were higher than one might expect for the accommodations. To be fair, I was there in December, when rates are always higher in the city, so I can't say what they might have been in relation to the competition. I can say that when I stayed at the Omni Berkshire last month I paid over $100 less per night for a full service hotel with a somewhat larger and somewhat nicer room. So, on balance, I didn't dislike the place, but neither did it engage my interest on any level other than the fact that I could walk where I was going in just about five minutes. They provided a coupon for 10% off at a good, friendly, reasonably-priced diner across the street and another coupon upon checkout for 10% off my next stay, which was a nice gesture.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Oberst06
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Oberst06.

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay! We understand your concerns regarding our property due to the lack of size. If our guests are not 100% satisfied, then we certainly are not either. Having said that, please take comfort in the fact that your comments have not gone unnoticed. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our property so thank you for your honest feedback! Hopefully we have another chance to exceed your expectations instead of meeting, or falling short of them.

Regards,