WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Carvi Hotel New York

Carvi Hotel New York
Ranked #173 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Sewickley, PA
“OK in many ways, but just that”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I am somewhat at a loss as to how I feel about this hotel. Positives: courteous staff; clean rooms; good location near where I had a meeting (2 1/2 blocks). Negatives: the room was a bit small, even by NYC standards, albeit well arranged to use all of the available space and adequate for one person - couples be warned; the hotel itself is a lobby, rooms, and a small roof deck, so there are no amenities to speak of; the prices were higher than one might expect for the accommodations. To be fair, I was there in December, when rates are always higher in the city, so I can't say what they might have been in relation to the competition. I can say that when I stayed at the Omni Berkshire last month I paid over $100 less per night for a full service hotel with a somewhat larger and somewhat nicer room. So, on balance, I didn't dislike the place, but neither did it engage my interest on any level other than the fact that I could walk where I was going in just about five minutes. They provided a coupon for 10% off at a good, friendly, reasonably-priced diner across the street and another coupon upon checkout for 10% off my next stay, which was a nice gesture.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Oberst06
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Oberst06.

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay! We understand your concerns regarding our property due to the lack of size. If our guests are not 100% satisfied, then we certainly are not either. Having said that, please take comfort in the fact that your comments have not gone unnoticed. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our property so thank you for your honest feedback! Hopefully we have another chance to exceed your expectations instead of meeting, or falling short of them.

Regards,
Victor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Clinton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Excellent service. The room was very clean. The TV didn't work too well, but we got by fine as we spent very little time in the room. Very nice having PJ Clarke's very close by. In all we were very satisfied with our accommodations.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear DavidBSaranac ,

Very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We will be sure to check the TV in your room so thank you for letting us know. Hope you got the Cadillac Burger at PJ Clarkes!

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Just south of Central Park and in convenient distance to the UN Headquarters, the Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue, and Times Square, this slim but tall hotel is inconspicuously tucked away in the front of houses off 55th Street. Staff are friendly although check-in took a little while, and the room was only ready mid-afternoon (one is welcome to wait on the roof-top terrace). No food is served in the hotel, neither are there other facilities (gym etc.), but wireless internet is complementary, and a diner across the road offers breakfast discounts to hotel guests. Due to the layout of the building, many rooms would not have windows / natural light (mine didn’t) which plunge guests into a confused state of timelessness. The bathroom was very modern and pleasant, and there was a coffee machine on the room with a selection of coffees and decafs (percolator though, not espresso). Use of the desktop computer and printer in the reception area is free for guests which I much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank veepka
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear veepka,

Hope you had a safe trip home! I'm so glad to hear that your time in NYC was made better by our staff and hotel!

Hope to see you again!
Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

It's always a challenge to find a hotel in NYC with: good price + good location + nice and modern rooms.
Well, the last time I went to NYC, Carvi hotel fulfilled these requirements.
Unfortunately I chose a room without window and it was so small I could barely open my baggage on the room... And there is no restaurant at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tainan B
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Tainan B,

So glad to hear that we were able to meet all of your requirements! Next time you come we will have to try and work together in order to get you a bigger room.

See you next time!
Niteroi, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Carvi Hotel is a charming hotel very well situated in the heart of New York, the apartments are super comfortable, the bathroom is excelent, and the people who serve super educated.For all those reasons is my favorite place since 2011 when they open.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear JRM160,

Thank you! It's great to hear that we are you favorite spot in New York! Hope to see you many times in the future!

Houston, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I selected this hotel from many in this area based on previous reviews. When I confirmed my reservation in advance, there was a choice of a guest room with no windows for a lower rate or a standard queen for a higher rate. I chose the standard queen at the higher rate and received a confirmation for my reservation. When I checked in yesterday, I was given a guest room with no windows. I went down to the front desk with my confirmation to correct their error. I spoke with Flavia and showed her my confirmation for a standard queen. She insisted that I was confirmed for a room with no windows even though that was not what the confirmation indicted. She offered to upgrade me for an additional charge. I stated that I had already paid a higher rate to have a room with a window. I asked to speak with the Manager on Duty and was told that there was no Manager on Duty. She eventually did call someone and spoke to them in a foreign language. She told me that she had spoken to the owner and that there was nothing that they would do to correct their error. I simply wanted the standard queen that I had confirmed, and I received no customer service.

Kathleen Craig
Leisure Travel Consultant
Rovia Travel

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank 77002
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear 77002,

First off, I apologize for the poor stay at our Hotel. After taking a look at your reservation, and your review, you are correct in saying that you were confirmed for a Standard Queen Room. Unfortunately, the room you wanted to stay in was an Executive Queen Room. I apologize for the confusion but the confirmation was for a Standard.

As for my front desk staff there is no excuse. Your situation was not handled properly and for that we are very sorry. This predicament will not happen again with the staff here. I hope you have a good rest of 2013.

Sao Paulo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

My friend and I had a room with double beds , very nice and clean a big bathroom and as my friend is a smoker we had easy acces to the terrace. The staff was very nice and helped us with everything we needed . We also had a 10% courtesy discount at the breafast diner across the street. The location is very good near the Metro and the shops. I will be back.

Room Tip: Try the room near the terrace .