“Fabulous Location and Wonderful Staff!!”

Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street
Ranked #344 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This review is long overdue. I took advantage of a great Jet Blue sale rate from Oakland to JFK to surprise my nine-year-old son with his first-ever trip to New York City over the Veterans’ Day holiday weekend in 2012. I used AmEx points for three nights and chose Holiday Inn Wall Street (51 Nassau Street) because the location was a perfect downtown hub and because reviews of other higher end hotels in our price range weren’t that great. Our trip was scheduled ten days after Hurricane Sandy hit Manhattan and we did not know what to expect. While much of lower Manhattan was still recovering from water damage, the hotel was fine. We were on a Friday night red-eye with a planned hotel arrival at 6:00 a.m. I phoned The Holiday Inn the day before our departure to let them know that, while I booked Friday night, our actual arrival would be around 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, so we’d be able to immediately check-in to our room. When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk had noted my phone call, and had our keys immediately available. And they didn't care that I had used points to pay for the room. The front desk staff was incredibly competent and friendly. We went up to our king bedroom and took a power nap. The hallways of this hotel are indeed narrow, but not a big deal. The king bed corner room itself was very spacious for a New York hotel room, and there was even room to move about the bathroom. The shower had decent water pressure. The room was clean, the bed incredibly comfortable, and we even had a view of the new Freedom Tower. The hotel is conveniently located to numerous downtown attractions and subway stations, just two blocks away. My son was excited to experience the nearby Dunkin Donuts and downtown location of Les Halles. While the hotel is tucked away on a quiet block, the lobby is tiny, and the hallways are narrow, this hotel is a perfect spot as a base location to experience all that Manhattan and Brooklyn have to offer. Although we didn’t eat at the hotel restaurant (there are too many fabulous places to dine in NYC!), I was glad to have the option available. Hotel staff was able to offer the best subway lines around the City and back to JFK. We were able to check-out but leave our luggage with the bell staff so we could do one final tour of Battery Park before returning to JFK. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Select a room with a view of the World Trade Center.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank slynns
Nick C, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for your review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. - Thanks again for your review and hope to see you soon.!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street

Reviewed December 15, 2013

To he honest this hotel was fine. It was clean, in a great location and was what you'd expect of a NYC budget hotel. I can't give it anything higher than 3 stars though because of a couple things that really were an inconvenience and could have been simple to fix.

First, handles of the furniture literally pulled off in my hand when I tried to open a drawer. Second, although the drawers look to be a normal size once you can get them open, the are so shallow and short that hardly anything fits. The rooms are too small to live out of your suitcase because there is no where to put your suitcase so not being able to open or use the drawers was a pain. Third, the management must tell the housekeeping staff to be as stingy as possible with paper products because when I checked in there was maybe a quarter roll of toilet paper. Not a huge deal but the next day, they didn't even leave anymore so when I returned to my room at 11pm there were like 2 sheets of TP left. I know it sounds hilarious but imagine how awkward it is to call the front desk at 11pm and have to ask for more and sit around and wait for 20 minutes until someone brings it. I really laughed afterwards imagining what that poor delivery guy was thinking having to bring TP to my room at 11:30pm! Either this hotel values their TP so highly that they refuse to make sure you have enough or the housekeeping staff is completely inept. And lastly, And this was the worst, the showers are little corner stalls in the bathrooms and the have an "L" shaped shower curtain that is not only not wide enough to reach either wall, but are also a full inch shorter than the floor. So every time you use the shower, the entire bathroom floor ends up wet, It was disgusting. When you're done showering you have to immediately clean the floor with towels and then you can't use them again so you are wasting resources.

This hotel could make a few small adjustments like investing in better furniture that offers actual storage space and doesn't break, making sure paying guests have enough basic supplies and purchasing longer shower curtains. Until then, I wouldn't return and I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at my hotel. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I have taken proper steps in the housekeeping department to ensure these issues wont happen again. Thanks again for your time and I hope to have you back anytime soon. Do not hesitate to reach out to me directly 212-227-3007 - Be well,

Reviewed December 9, 2013

First things first, not that cheap but all relative and that is the cost of staying in NYC. The hotel staff were excellent. The comp breakfast and wifi both were excellent. Room was smallish but bathroom fine size and space at a premium in the big apple. Quiet too so an excellent sleep. Great location for subway and battery park. Recommended

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Allan O
Nick C, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing us! - I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

if longer in NY recommend to buy a METROCARD .Very good location for tourists and business people who dont mind using the subway.
Tourist have the major places to see on your doorstep.Plenty of restaurants of all pricelevels close by. Safe place to stay. Even at night I felt very safe walking in the streets. Also shopping places arein the vincinity..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
LilianaSindler, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are so pleased you liked the fine location of our hotel. We are steps away from Broadway and that makes our location even more convenient as mostly all subway stations can be reached only steps away from our hotel.

I also have to agree that neighborhood is very safe.

I thank you again for your comments - they are vital to improve our service.

Have a most wondeful day

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a work trip. The location was great as my office is just down the street. The room itself was nice, but small (as is typical for hotels in Manhattan), but this was really small. Amenities were nice though in terms of desk, lighting etc. About the only thing that I found terrible was the food. I didn't even eat it but the breakfast menu looked of very poor quality. So I went to Starbucks down the street.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel regarding your last stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, as your comments are vital to ensure full guest satisfaction.

I want to say thank you for the positive comments regarding our location. I am sad, however, to hear you did not like the size of the rooms and the food in our Restaurant.

We have different sizes of rooms – some of them are way bigger than others. I am sure you stayed in one of the small ones. I would like to invite you to please contact me when you are planning to visit New York City again so that I may personally handle your reservation and assign you a very nice and big room for your next stay with us.

As for the Restaurant food, I am so sorry you didn’t like it and will pass on information to Restaurant Manager for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and have a most wonderful day.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during my marathon trip. Very close to ferry (10min walk) to get to the start and easily accessible by subway (to get from the Central park back). Otherwise good hotel; not tall enough to have a view from the room other than a building on the other side of a lane.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
LilianaSindler, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel regarding your last stay with us and thanks as well for the positive comments regarding our location.

As for the view, you are correct - due to our hotel's location is in the middle of the Financial District , we are surrounded by buildings that are taller than us. I hope, however, that the great location, nice staff and comfy rooms compensated the view you did not get.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was a great place to stay! After staying a night at Pan-America in Queens with my family and realizing the sketch neighborhood wasn't for us, I looked up a hotel with an affordable rate in Manhattan and this is what came up!

While walking into the lobby wasn't as glorious as you may think, this place was great! The service was great and the rooms were just enough size, considering the inner city location. I had my parents and two siblings with me who were first time NYC visitors and the ease of travel with four different subway stations within walking distance was great. It was also very close to landmarks such as the 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, Trinity Church, and Battery Park (to get to the statue)

Overall, location and service was great. Beds were comfy from the hours walking around and being a tourist in NYC, plus the rates were great (matched that of the Pan-Am hotel that we left).

Would definitely stay here again when I come back to NYC!

Room Tip: Room on south side of the building faced the windows of the building across the street and you can l...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JaseDom
LilianaSindler, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property and thank you for the “Excellent” score you gave us. Your feedback is vital to us as this continually helps us improve the service we offer to our guests.

We are so pleased you liked the fine location of our hotel. We are also very glad to hear that our staff reached and even surpassed your expectations. We have an outstanding team that would do the outmost to make your stay enjoyable and we are happy you noticed it and that you left satisfied.

You mentioned you will definitely be back. I want to offer you a complimentary upgrade on your next stay just as a token of our most sincere appreciation for staying again with us once more. Please do not hesitate to contact me when your plans bring you back to NYC. I will ensure your next stay will be the same or even better than this past one.

Again, thank you for your comments and have a most wonderful day.