“Home from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

I have just spent 10 days at Chelsea Pines with my 15 year old Grandson. We booked the hotel last March for an August stay mainly based on Trip Advisor reviews. We completely endorse all that has been written - location, cleanliness, wonderful staff, quality of rooms, breakfast, peace and quiet, value, etc. We would definitely come again though next time I would pay a few more dollars to stay on the third floor, rather than the forth, in a larger room but still overlooking the garden - so my Grandson can escape my snoring!!!! To sum up we wanted to stay where we were welcomed and could relax and feel at home - that is exactly what we got.

1 Thank GolfnutKen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Racine Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

I am a planner ("obsessive" is the word my family might use). I wanted to take each of my three kids on a short trip to celebrate each of their birthdays. My older two chose cities I have visited before, so that was no problem. My youngest chose NYC, and the planning began three months ahead of our August departure.
His criteria: two musicals, great food, and interesting things to do. His best friend accompanied us, and her criteria, all that plus shopping (she loves thrift shops). I went back and forth between staying very near Times Square, with lots of "busy-ness" for the 16 year olds, or staying somewhere a little quieter for me. We all three loved Chelsea Pines Inn!
The neighborhood was excellent. There was so much to do and see within a short walk. The subway station is only 1/2 block away, so getting to other locations was a breeze. The best part, though, is the staff. They all made us feel so welcome, and there was not one sigh when I asked for directions or should I take the "A or E" for the tenth time. The restaurant recommendations were fantastic. The room was just big enough for the three of us, but who spends time in the room, anyway?
We were able to start slowly each morning with a wonderful breakfast in the courtyard. My son agreed that the choice for our stay was perfect.
We had an awesome trip, and I will cherish the memories made with my son. The staff at Chelsea Pines helped make this happen.
Looking for crowds, Starbucks, and meals at Applebee's or McDonalds? Then, this is not the place for you. Looking for charm and personalized care? This is your place.

3 Thank lakemichiganmom
Stockholm County, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

It is a warm and very personal hotel. Jay and his amazing team will make you feel special and rare. The rooms are personal with inspiration from films and stars. The breakfast is very good with good coffee, fresh fruit, bread and juice. The best is the small garden outside. There you can eat in the morning or rest in the evening. You are in the heart of Chelsea, with restaurants, clubs and The High Lane just around the corner. I would highly recommend this place, it´s a special little star in the jungel of hotels in New York. We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden is very nice, and quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Hedvig C
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

The staff make the Chelsea Pines Inn an extraordinary place to stay while in New York. Ramal is the best! The rooms are comfortable. The breakfast is very generous and tasty. The subway is down the block. High Line Park and the Chelsea Market are a few blocks away as well. As a tourist, I was always given help with my less than well-thought-out plans. Guests were even provided with umbrellas when it rained. Charlie Chaplin the cat also makes the Chelsea Pines Inn special. Definitely my place to stay while in New York City.

Room Tip: It is a walk-up so if you do not like stairs, choose a lower floor.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

Five days in New York, doing the 'must see' sights, was amazing and thanks to the authenticity of the Chelsea Pines the pleasure didn't stop once we had walked into the lobby each evening. The hotel was as much a part of our experience as Central Park and the Guggenheim were. Why experience 50% of what New York is all about when you can get 100% by including Chelsea Pines in your itinerary? You know you are in Manhattan when you are in the Chelsea Pines. And who doesn't love Charlie the cat?

Room Tip: A good range of rooms that suited our family's needs. The top floor suite worked well with our 1...
Covington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

My heart sank a little when the taxi pulled up in front of the Chelsea Pines Inn; it's quite ordinary on the outside. But as soon as I entered, I felt better. I was greeted with a warm, cheery smile from Ramal. He had me drop my bags and took me down the hall to a cozy refreshment area for a cold iced tea. A few minutes later, he handed me my room key and I began my ascent up 4 long flights of steep stairs. My room was tiny with a loud A/C unit and a leaky sink. It had a college dorm vibe. I slept fitfully but all was forgiven in the morning because of the wonderful breakfast that was served on a leafy outdoor patio. The location is great for all that is hip and cool downtown. It is my understanding that there are bigger rooms, which I'd love to check out-on the first or second floor!

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Carolina930
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

If you are looking for accommodation which is bland and impersonal and only caters for one type of guest then the Chelsea Pines Inn is not for you. Jay and his team made every effort to ensure we experienced the best of New York: in addition to the daily newsletter for guests detailing local restaurants, events and history, Al and Lewis on the front desk offered tips and advice that catered for our individual needs. There was even a party for guests to celebrate the beginning of Pride Week.....very good wine and food and a chance to meet a diverse range of travellers.

Breakfasts were fabulous...fresh berries, yogurts, juices, breads etc....and not overly sweet ( often a problem for visitors to the US) and tea as well as coffee. ....and the garden setting made it even more enjoyable. Our rooms were comfortable and well-appointed. Noise was not a problem. The only down side for some will be the lack of a lift....walking up 4 flights of steps is good for your health if you can do it...but would make staying here very difficult if you can't.

The location is fantastic. We were only steps away from the subway station which gave us easy access to all of New York....the High Line is only minutes away...As is Chelsea Market.

Room Tip: If you have access problems, ask for a room on one of the lower floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends