“Our home away from home =)”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #53 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We just want to say a big Thank You to all at Chelsea Pines Inn! The nicest hotel with the friendliest owner and staff! We spent five wonderful days there a couple of weeks ago =) This was our second time around and we don't want to stay anywhere else. It is a small, quaint hotel, the location can't be beat and the owner and staff are very friendly and helpful. The roses and the personal note when we checked in made our entire week. We will definitely be back. Thank you again!

Room Tip: I would say ask for a room facing the backyard.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UlricaUlander
There are newer reviews for Chelsea Pines Inn

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I travel quite a bit for work and pleasure, but this was my first trip to NYC. Chose Chelsea Pines based on the glowing reviews in Trip Advisor and while there were a few things I'd change, overall, I would say it was a positive experience.

Believe my room was the Sheree North room, at the top of the stairs on the second floor. Had read a lot about the walk up and lack of an elevator, so was fully prepared for that. Be warned, though, that those stairs are steep, long and narrow. Was glad I was only on the second floor. Could see where being on a higher floor would be quite taxing after a long day of sight seeing if you're not exceptionally fit.

Staff was very friendly to the extent that I interacted with them. Because I had taken a red eye, I arrived early in the morning, knowing it was too early to check in, but figuring I'd take a chance. They were fully booked, so no luck, but the guy behind the desk asked me if I'd like to have coffee or breakfast and when I said I thought I'd probably do some sightseeing and asked for a recommendation for a restaurant (was in the mood for a full breakfast), he gave me the recommendation for a diner down the road that fit the bill nicely and then gave me his card and said to call back around 1:00 and he'd let me know if any rooms were ready early. I went off to do my sightseeing and was crashing by noon, so decided to just go back and wait around if room wasn't yet available. To my surprise, when I arrived the clerk said they were cleaning the room and it would be available shortly. I had a cup of tea and about 15 minutes later it was ready and they'd already taken my luggage up (much appreciated given those stairs!).

My room was in the back of the building, overlooking the courtyard, which was lovely and quiet. But given that hotel is on a busy street, could see how rooms in the front might be a bit noisy. Having heard plenty of stories of postage stamp size rooms in NYC even at the priciest hotels, I had low expectations for space and was pleasantly surprised that the room was bigger than I thought it would be with very high ceilings that helped it feel more spacious. Not much space around the bed, but roomy enough in the front of the room with a little table and chairs, a small armchair and plenty of space or my luggage.

That said, there were a couple of downsides to the room. While I appreciate spaces that are kitschy and quirky, I found the dark paint colors and heavy velvet curtains a little oppressive. They made the room dark, which it really shouldn't have been given the large window and sunny conditions. The bathroom also wasn't my favorite. Sink and toilet were in a tiny little room where there wasn't much space to move and it would be quite hot if you had to shut the door. Shower, to me, was just weird. Can only assume that they'd converted an old closet into a shower as it was separate from rest of bathroom and opened right into the bedroom. Big enough (May have actually been larger than the room with the sink and toilet) but could have seriously benefitted from some Tilex and elbow grease. Mildew was such that I felt the need to wear my flip flops while I showered, which I don't do often in hotels. That, really, was my only complaint regarding cleanliness. Also, could hear voices in hallway outside my door very clearly, but there wasn't so much hallway traffic that this was a problem. In all other respects, the room was fine. Furnishing were basic but perfectly fine and rates were reasonable given that it was high season in NY and everything was pretty pricey.

But here were the things I really liked about this place. Loved the location. Great neighborhood, easy walk to lots of interesting sights and restaurants and only a half block from subway. On direct line from JFK so if taking subway in from airport, no need to change trains with your luggage and it's a very short walk from station once you arrive.

Hotel itself reminded me of little family-run places I've stayed at in Europe. They're not necessarily fancy and may show their age or eccentricity, but they have a character that you don't get in a big chain. Sometimes that's just what I'm looking for (and sometimes I want the comfort that comes with a generic chain with a room that will be pretty much the same no matter where you are in the world). It didn't surprise me that most of the other guests while I was there seemed to be foreign.

I appreciated the breakfast each morning. A generous selection of meets, cheeses, cereals, pastries, juices, teas and coffees, it was a great start to the day that you would have paid handsomely for anywhere else. It was great to have a leisurely breakfast overlooking the yard while I planned my day's activities. Also, the young man that maintained the spread was lovely and friendly and chatted with me each day. I appreciated the little newsletter that they slid under my door that recommended local restaurants and sights.

Overall, as a solo traveler, I appreciated the more personal touch, homey feel and character at this hotel. It was a nice respite from the chaos of the city and for this trip, it was just what I wanted. If I were to take another trip to NYC, I might look around to see what else is available, but I wouldn't have a problem returning to Chelsea Pines or recommending it to others. As long as you know what it is and what it isn't, you'll be fine. I think it's a solid option for the area.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank JosieCA
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I was only in NYC one night, but I know where I'm staying when I return. Chelsea Pines is in a great location, has friendly helpful staff, and a real oasis in Chelsea. The breakfast was simple but plentiful, with multiple juices, bagels and fruit. Louis, the front desk manager who checked me in, was extremely helpful with directions, restaurant suggestions, an kept my drivers license handy when I left it at the front desk. I cant think of a better place to stay in Manhattan.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Ken_Carrano
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was only here one night but wished I stayed longer. Its in a great location and everyone is very friendly, the hotel is very cosy and homeley rather than one of those grand ones. If you are looking for a small hotel then this is the answer. The rooms are of good size and the beds are so comfy. Only downside is no lifts but not a problem for me.
Like I said, this isnt one of those massive grand ones but it rivals it in terms of service. Stay here without a doubt!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in late May. The breakfast was great, so was the hospitality of the staff. They make you feel like home. The location is the best, near the High Line, the best restaurants, Chelsea Market, unbeatable! Subway half a block. Free wifi. Snacks all day. I strongly recommend it! The room was very nice, the bed comfortable. I really felt like home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank polipau
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

This would be a wonderful hotel because of the location. Direct subways almost everywhere and not far from anywhere. Great bars and food just over the street. It would be a great hotel, too, because of the smart (if small) rooms and peaceful garden. And great, as well, because of the lovely breakfasts and endless coffee all day. But what really makes it great are the people who run it: I've never stayed anywhere so helpful or friendly. So don't book anywhere else.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JDG764
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I would highly recommended the Chelsea Pines Inn. The service is friendly and attentive with nothing too much trouble. At the same time it is never intrusive or overbearing. The proximity to the subway system could not be better. The free wifi and business centre facilities are a real bonus. The breakfast (and snacks) during the day are delicious and I have never been so pleased to see a nespresso/espresso machine in my life. Coming back to the hotel mid-afternoon to regroup before heading out for the evening was a treat with the charming courtyard ideal for a coffee or a cool drink and some delicious crumb cake. Yes the stairs are steep but so was my calorific intake. Will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Choose your room class carefully and pay attention to the detailed descriptions on the hotel's w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo