“Excellent first time stay”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #56 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My first time to New York and Chelsea Pines. What can I say that hasn't already been said. Our room was dedicated to Debbie Reynolds and was excellent. Jay and his staff are so welcoming and helpful, and Charlie Chaplin (cat) adorable. Chelsea Pines is so well situated on 14th Street, extremely close to the subway. Each morning an excellent breakfast awaited us. very good selection. Drinks and snacks available throughout the day which was very welcoming after a busy day seeing all the wonderful sites. If booking and you have difficulty with stairs then request a room on the lower floors, the stairs are quite steep, the staff carried our bags up and down the stairs. I would recommend walking the High Line (an old railway line) near to Chelsea Pines, great views. There is an entrance close by. Taxi from JFK cost $70 which included our tip. Take extremely comfy footwear and have an idea what you want to do daily then you will get everything out of your stay. I stayed 5 nights, six days and cannot think I missed anything I really wanted to see/do. If I return to NYC sometime in the future I would look no further than Chelsea Pines Inn for my stay.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs then book a lower floor room. No elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pam S

Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Chelsea Pines Inn was the perfect spot from which to explore New York City, Centrally located, just steps away from the 14th Street subway station and the Highline trail, very clean, beautiful (and filling) breakfasts with a new baked treat every day, knowledgeable hosts with wonderful tips about the neighbourhood and the city and a helpful staff - even at 5:00 in the morning when I needed access to the business centre. My wife and I had a wonderful and relaxing stay and are looking forward to returning soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Unbeatable location just steps from the 14th st subway station.
Service is flawless, as are the rooms, maybe not spacious but very practical, clean and with all amenities you can wish for.
Breakfast is wonderful, and snacks and coffee is available all day.
It realIy is really hard to find fault with this place, the only drawback is the steep flight of stairs you need to climb to access most rooms. If you don't find that a problem, then this is the place to stay when visiting the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank OlleT
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here for a week couple of weeks ago, can not speak highly enough of Chelsea Pines, Jay & his incredible staff.

No attention to detail is overlooked, incredibly clean, beautiful breakfasts and snacks throughout the day.

I loved my room but the fifth floor with no stairs was challenging! Felt fitter by end of week though. Suggest booking on second or third floor. Ground floor is a little noisy with the breakfast room.

After a gruelling 30 hr trip from Australia, coming here felt like home. Every time came in and out of hotel, whoever was on reception was always chatty & helpful and great restaurant advice. We had our itinerary sorted before we came, but I imagine you could get so many great ideas from the staff.

We stayed in an inferior hotel in the upper west for the second week and it just highlighted what a gem Chelsea Pines is, location was great too, right on subway and easy to get everywhere.

I'm a fan for life, I shall return and would send anyone I know your way Chelsea Pines!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Nikross
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We took a miniature honeymoon after our wedding in sunny Florida, and came to frigid NYC for just 3 days. It was my first time to the city, and we knew we wouldn't be able to see and do even half the things on our list.We didn't even know where to start! Luckily, we chose to stay at the Chelsea Pines. First of all, the location is absolutely unbeatable. You still feel like you're in the heart of the big city, but it's quiet and peaceful.Our room was lovely, comfy, and totally quiet. We showed up with a bouquet of flowers to put in our room but they had beaten us to it, as room already had a card congratulating us and welcoming us with gorgeous roses. Coming "home" after sight seeing in the frigid weather, we would have the most delicious hot apple cider you have ever tasted. Breakfast every morning was incredible too. We definitely felt spoiled the entire time we were there and the service was absolutely FLAWLESS. Every single member of the staff was unfailingly courteous, polite, and sweet to this wide eyed southern bride. And I can't even suitably express how helpful they were to us with dining and entertainment recommendations, info, maps, directions, advice... it seriously felt like going to stay with old friends in the city. We cannot wait to go back! Thank you Jay and crew!

2  Thank EFerry310
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Given the hotel rates in NYC (and I thought CA was expensive!), we considered AirBnB for our trip. The 3 places we checked declined our requests but I think it was for the better. First, they weren't that much cheaper than the CPI and we would have missed an amazing place as well as great people.

We were greeted by Anna and George (I think), and of course, Charlie. They offered to upgrade us free of charge. I'm sure the room on the first floor was great but 404 (Ann Margaret) was a little bigger. We chit chatted for a while, got amazing advice on where to eat, they even took our luggage in our room for us.

The room was perfect. Really, the carpeting looked new, the room was decorated with gusto, the bathroom was immaculate, even the tile joints were spotless. We were impressed! The bed was comfortable and we had a nice view on the patio. The catch was to climb those stairs after walking all day but they were worth it.

Breakfast was great, with Bonne Maman jams, pumpkin butter, cheese, cold meat, nuts, cereals, fruits, olives, croissants, other pastries, juices, coffee and tea. The best thing is coffee, tea, bottled water and pastries are there for guests to enjoy all day long. Free WiFi in the building, convenient business area on the second floor. The location can't be beat.

Most staff was amazing and professional. The lady preparing the breakfast did a great job and so did the guys cleaning the rooms, or helping us with the luggage. We talked with Rumel upon leaving, congratulating and thanking him as well as the team. What I love about those BnBs is that if it's usually not cheap (again, in terms of NYC rates, $259/night breakfast and perks included was a great deal), we know where the money goes. We also loved that it was quiet, especially because there weren't any kids. I don't think it's a policy but since it's small and there are many stairs, I guess it's not a first choice for families. Good for us! Oh! and they're also good at marketing; the day before we left, there was a bag with the bill, a handwritten note and two Chelsea Pines inn mugs with Charlie on it, thanking his guests and asking when we're coming back.
We don't know about that but hopefully there will be a next time and we'll call Rumel to make reservations. Thank you all!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jessica4wildlife
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Had the pleasure of staying here recently and it is absolutely fabulous. Service is courteous, helpful and friendly. The breakfasts are amazing! Rooms are gorgeous and absolutely spotless. Location is great and close to the subway. Look out for Charlie the cat, he is lovely. You would be crazy to stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Rooms on lower levels may suit those who have difficulties with stairs.
3  Thank MezRuss