“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   317 West 14th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #8 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at Chelsea Pines for the second time in November 2012, and had an even better stay the second time round! This Inn deserves all of the hype. The staff not only go above and beyond to make sure every guest has a comfortable stay, but a great time in New York, with a daily newsletter and restaurant and entertainment recommendations. Breakfast every morning is delicious, and such a nice change to the typical breakfast in chain hotels. Yes the rooms are on the small side but considering how little time you're likely to spend there given you're in New York this is not a problem. There are also stairs, but we welcomed the exercise given how much food we were enjoying! The resident cat Charlie is delightful. I hope we are lucky enough to stay here again!

1 Thank Lu_and_Pete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sandnessjoen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I recently spent 7 nights at Chelsea Pines Inn, and we really enjoyed it! The location is great, the decor at the hotel is eccentric and cool, the tasty breakfast is a perfect kickstart of a new day and the owner and the staff really knows how to make their guests feel like home. Thank you so much for a pleasant stay. We hope to come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I just spent a wonderful weekend at Chelsea Pines. This was our second visit and it was even better than the first one. What other hotel can you walk into and be hugged hello by the owner? What other hotel remembers your name after one visit? The people who run this hotel go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and will help you with reservations, tickets to shows, etc. The breakfast is such a treat and there is certainly something for everyone to eat -- and it's included in the price of your room. The rooms are immaculate and comfortable. And have I mentioned Charlie? He's the mascot cat who is always on hand to greet you. This has become our go-to place when we're in New York. We will never stay anywhere else. I recommend that you get yourselves over to the Chelsea Pines Hotel. You will not be sorry -- you might even get a hug!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My sister and I spent 3 nights at the Chelsea Pines and can't say enough wonderful things about it. Never mind the fabulous location, the eccentric decor and the delicious breakfast, the owner and staff are the most hospitable and fun people to have as your hoteliers. They also act as great tour guides and recommend great restaurants withing walking distance. This was our fourth trip to NYC, and probably our most memorable. This will be our place to stay from now on.

Room Tip: Be sure to book really early to get a room on a low floor as there are no elevators, and you can be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Everyone at Chelsea Pines is SO nice! They went the extra mile to make us feel so valued and they pampered us since it was our anniversary. The rooms were probably the cleanest of any hotel we have ever stayed at and the breakfast was super yummy, much more special then other hotel breakfasts! We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Be ready for stairs if you stay on a higher floor!
Breda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We spent another week at the Chelsea Pines Inn the week after Thanksgiving. This is our third stay here and it is getting better and better every time!! Everyone is super friendly and helpful. We had a lot of nice conversations with them all. Jay is very funny and tells all kind of funny stories about everything. The atmosphere is so wonderful, that chelsea pines feels like your home the time you are there.
The breakfast is wonderful -- fresh bagels, croissants, muffins, cereal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, coffee, and more. You get to meet the other guests and you feel that everyone is relaxed and feeling comfortable. And I'm sure that is due to the atmosphere the staff is creating.
The room was spacious and clean.
The hotel's location is the best. Near the subway and near Chelsea, the West Village, and the Meat Packing district.
There are a lot of nice shops and restaurants: meatball shop, Rafele, and I always like Spice We'll be back to Chelsea Pines as often as we can. We love NY but we love chelsea pines inn even more!!! Thanks for a great stay and I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone for a nice stay in NY.

3 Thank rotterdamerik
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was looking on TripAdvisor for a decently-priced hotel in the Union Square area and came across the Chelsea Pines Inn. I was shocked that a non-chain hotel ranked #2 in all of NYC had such affordable rates! I decided to give it a try and my girlfriend and I were so impressed. The staff was so friendly, the little cookies and juice at 11 PM were delicious, and the continental breakfast was simply perfect. I knew I was in for a treat when Daniel welcomed me to "the family" and greeted me by first name every time I walked by the front desk. I met Jay on the way out and he gave me his card and told me to let him know when I next planned on staying. I couldn't have asked for a better stay - the price was well worth it and I can honestly say the #2 rating is well-earned. Excellent location - close and convenient to all. Thank you!

Room Tip: We paid for the Superior Deluxe room and got a room of the first floor. The building does not have a...