“What a great place now even better!”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #37 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Kamuela
“What a great place now even better!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I had stayed at CPI before back in the late 90's and enjoyed it's sort of laid back urban charm. It was no 5 star property, but for the price and location I remembered it as being a real bargain given it's great location.
What a very pleasant surprise to find this small hotel transformed into a very modern and stylish urban abode! There were so many nice little touches like the wall mounted flat screen TV's, the wonderful assortment of bath amenities from Gilchrist & Soames,
the iPod docking stations to charge my iPhone and the great (and free!) high speed wireless internet throughout the hotel.
I was there on business to conduct some interviews, but had time to spend with friends too as well as wander around this amazing city on my own some. For all these things the location couldn't have been more ideal. It's right off the ACE line and every place I needed to be was really just minutes away...including my friends in Wiiliamsburg (talk about a transformation)!
The staff is very friendly and helpful. I was delighted each afternoon upon returning to my room from my day's outings to find that the Housekeeping staff had put my room back into the immaculate state it was in when I arrived. (No small feat as my room was not that large and I'm not the tidiest traveler)!
I can't recommend this place enough. For the price you won't find a sweeter place to stay.

Room Tip: If stairs are a hinderance for you, request a room on one of the lower floors. (I booked sort of lat...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 3DHI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I've stayed at Chelsea Pines since 2000, and I keep coming back. I think it's unique in its approach to hospitality in New York: a five-story brownstone that has been transformed into a chic boutique bed & breakfast. The accommodations have gone upscale immensely in the years I've stayed there (gorgeous bathroom fixtures and beautiful furnishings throughout), but the prices remain reasonable. Having breakfast provided in the kitchen/cafe (including outdoor space in warm weather) is a boon: it gets you started right for your day in the city, and chatting with other guests (if you like) adds to the friendly atmosphere. The staff is top-notch: friendly, helpful, and professional. If you need advice about Broadway tickets, they're right there. If you need assistance with navigating the subway system, they'll provide it. I'll keep coming back as long as they'll have me.

Room Tip: It's a 5-floor walkup, so decide whether you want a lower or higher floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dgchgo
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed here one night. We had a lovely time. The management gave us a free upgrade! THANKS!!!!! Extremely clean, rooms a bit on the small side, but since we were on a budget & just the two of us, it was plenty comfy cozy. NO BED BUGS (we checked). The room is fully appointed. There was a white noise machine (which was great!), a small fridge, a closet with a safe, hangers, iron, small ironing board, smallish TV with the basic channels (I think), a writing desk, chair and last but not the least - an alarm clock with an iPhone dock. The toilet is separate from the bath area (awesome idea!). The bath soaps, shampoo etc were top of the line. It is LGBT friendly and I loved the atmosphere. The breakfast spread was great (fresh corn bread anyone?). Upon check in we were provided with a list of places to eat. We went to their recommended restaurant called Bill's Burgers a quick walk away. Great food. It was central to many bars, a CVS is around the corner and a Duane Reade a few blocks away. When we got back that night, their very friendly cat Charlie accompanied us to our room :) The next morning, we headed to the High Line for a walk before check out. All in all, an awesome, stress free, romantic stay for tired parents of toddlers :) Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anjali E
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We spent two weeks in the Chelsea Pines Inn and that was a wonderful experience. The hotel is extremely beautiful, the rooms are cosy and very clean and the staff is absolutely lovely.
The neighborhood is great and the team of the hotel is full of good tips, not to mention the daily newsletter of the hotel.
The hotel is doing its best to make you fell at home and that was our case. We were upgraded after two days, without asking anything and without having experienced any trouble, just because it was possible.
I was in NYC for business so I needed a lot of facilities and I found more than what I needed there. The business center is perfect.
Last but not least, it is an incredibly good deal.
We recommend this hotel, without thinking twice, for a great holiday or a successful business trip.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My wife and I were warmly greeted by proprietor Jay on our arrival. From the free coffee while we waited for the guest before us to be assisted, to the delightful introduction to the area Jay was the perfect host. The Chelsea Pines is well located very near a good subway and close to the High Line park. While not in the heart of the Village or Chelsea, it is accessible to both localities. The room wasn't huge, but it was comfortable and perfectly adequate for our needs. The movie star themes were a nice touch. The breakfast food was plentiful and enjoyable. I liked the enclosed patio area where you could eat while bathed in natural light. The heating was good (basic you'd think, but the place we stayed in while on the UES had poor heating!). While I was concerned that the walk up the stairs would be quite an effort, the porter had little trouble taking our bags and I needed to invest some effort to pass on my tip (which I prefer to being pestered). Check out was also smooth, and the staff were all friendly. I thoroughly recommend the Chelsea Pines and will go there again.

Room Tip: Note that the room prices vary depending upon the floor - so if you want to save money, ask to be on...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PeteinPerth_11
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Loved the use of space, the privacy, the cleanliness, the kind and helpful staff... everything about it. And so reasonable. I will come back again and again.

Room Tip: Our room was probably the smallest, but it's just us two and we prefer cozy quarters. There are...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ncwriter2
san diego
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Found this place on TripAdvisor and loved every minute of our stay there. Stylish, fun "movie-themed" rooms and walkways. Reasonably priced to begin with, but the hotel staff, service, and location are what make this place such a phenomenal bargain. Jay and his colleagues were friendly and knowledgeable about, well, pretty much everything. Yes, you may have to walk up the stairs but the staff are more than happy to take your bags up for you. In terms of detail and going the extra mile, Chelsea Pines went first class all the way.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple