“Hidden Gem”

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #37 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Just returned from an overnight stay in New York City. Could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. The rooms were warm and inviting. Surprisingly quiet for the city. The bed was very comfortable. The location ideal for what we wanted to do in lower Manhattan. The staff were very friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The patio off the hotel was very relaxing. The complimentary breakfast was better than most hotels. The Chelsea Pines Inn is like a home away from home!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We lodged in this cute, nifty designed, clean and fair-priced hotel during our 5-day trip to NYC. We booked a standard double and were upgraded to an air-conditioned deluxe double, situated at the calm roofside of the old brownhouse (only a little noise from the close-by breakfast room in the morning). The staff is very, very friendly and helpful (thank you all so much!!!). They gave us a lot of good hints to discover Manhattan, particulary the MPD neighborhood with its good restaurants, the stunning Highline Park. Even they cared about the celiac disease of one of us. We had nice conversations about music and concerts in NYC; they really know what they're talking about! The hotel is perfect situated in a trendy, secure nighbourhood between Downtown and Midtown Manhattan and very close to the metrostation (lines A, C, E). Nearby you'll find a lot of good restaurants, bars, clubs and shops. The breakfast served in a small but cozy breakfast room or in the chilly courtgarden is quite continental (muesli, fresh fruits, yoghurt, nespresso-coffee) with some tasty american tidbits (bagles, muffins etc.). Perfect! All in all it really was a pleasure to stay in this carefully and affectionate managed hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My family and I spent a week at the Chelsea Pines Inn in early June. It had been about 30 years since our last visit to NYC and we relied on Tripadvisor reviews to help select our accommodation. We couldn't have been happier with our stay. The Chelsea Pines desk staff and Jay were very welcoming and extremely helpful. The location was perfect! We won't wait another 30 years for our next NYC visit and we will definitely stay at the Chelsea Pines.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Chelsea Pines Inn. It's a pleasant small and clean hotel with very friendly hosts with a personal touch. They were helping us every day to find the nicest spots of NY and glutenfree restaurants. We loved the neighbourhood Chelsea en Meatpacking district, lots of good restaurants, shops and things to do. For excample the High Line Park near the Hudson river and the Chelsea Market. Around the corner there is a metrostation, within a split of a second you are every were like to be in Manhattan.
This is a no nonsens hotel, if you are looking for luxoury like a swimming pool of spa you have to look further. I can recommend this hotel if you like to have a pleasant stay and sightseeing in NYC.

Room Tip: a room at the back is quiet
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mariekeh77
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Service: Excellent and very friendly. From the moment I came in, to the second I left, the staff was very nice. They even carried my HUGE bag full of fishing gear up all the flights of stairs to my room! They also gave me very good information about what restaurants were close by, what to see and do, breakfast and about the wine tasting they were having the next night.

The Room: I totally dug my room. It had so much character, like a sky light, cool tiles and a nice entryway. The bed was super comfortable.

The Location: Chelsea is such a cool spot. Close to everything if you like to walk around exploring the city. The Inn is very close to the Metro too. My favorite though is the Chelsea Market, and the Inn is right around the corner. I also stumbled upon the fantastic High Line Park behind the market by accident - Very Cool. I usually stay in Midtown, but I preferred my stay in Chelsea. I like the vibe of this area of town.

TIP: If you have heavy or big bags, know that they don't have an elevator. But you can request a room on the lower levels - and they helped carry your bags.

Thank you Jay and staff for the wonderful stay!

Room Tip: The top level has cool, funky sky lights.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank akkaren
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I found Chelsea Pines Inn through tripadvisor and booked it because of its excellent reviews, ideal location, and reasonable price. I was able to get the 'last minute' online price. I was in New York City for an event at Spice Market, which is about one block away. The location is very convenient. I walked from Penn Station (could have very easily taken the subway). I only stayed one night at the inn, but it was an excellent experience.

I apologise, but I do not recall the staffs' names. I received an extremely warm greeting at the front desk, a helpful demonstration of the key card, and the gentleman very kindly carried my suitcase to my room on the fourth floor. All of the staff I encountered was very friendly and helpful. The room (a double) was very clean and spacious for New York City hotel room. My room did face the street and there was some street noise, but it was not excessive, particularly for New York. There was a white noise machine provided, but I personally dislike white noise. I rated my sleep quality as a four, but I am quite a light sleeper.

The information about nearby restaurants and sites was very thorough. Continental breakfast was generous. They have a lovely little courtyard that you can breakfast in if the weather is nice.

Overall, it was a great stay. I pointed it out to my friends that live in New York in case they have visitors that need a place to stay and I would definitely stay there again. Thank you to everyone at the inn.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank darkhorse19
Ornskoldsvik, Sweden
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This is it! You feel welcome the second you walk in the door. We had a room on the top floor facing the backyard. It was clean, quiet and perfectly OK sizewise. Basically all you do is sleep there =)

The location is unbeatable. Easy walks to The High Line Park, Chelsea Market, Union Square and around the great neighbourhoods. The subway is just down the street and is an easy and quick way to get anywhere else.

The complimentary breakfast that you can eat out in the backyard during the summer was wonderful. Fresh strawberries and blueberries, cereals, bagels and more. It was a great way to start the day.

Love the fact that this is a small hotell and the staff is helpful and friendly and makes you feel right at home. Due to a family emergency back home we had to cut our trip short. The staff was more than helpful during our time of crisis and as we came home we found that even though they had no obligation to do so they had refunded the night we ended up not spending there.

Let me tell you, do not hesitate! This is the place to stay! We won't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the backyard are more quiet.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple