“woman-only bathrooms on co-ed floors???”
Review of Central Park Inn

Central Park Inn
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed here from Sep 26-Oct 1, 5 nights, in a basic 2 bed mixed dorm/room-shared bathroom. Check-in-The front desk staff was somewhat condescending about providing information about my accommodations. I was given room 306, which turned out to be one of the smallest and noisiest rooms. It is almost directly above the front entrance and faces the street. Late or night or early in the morning, I would be disturbed by people talking, very loud arguments, car alarms and garbage trucks. Small room-There is approx. 4 feet separating my bed from the other bed. I’m a light sleeper, so I’m quite sensitive to a lot of noise preventing me from getting to sleep. I could hear people doing a lot of walking (their heels) above me. I thought this was strange if they had a room the same size as mine! The air conditioner in the room worked well. My room had a stack of 5 really small lockers bolted in place. It’s a room for 2 people, why not have 2 medium sized lockers that can hold a laptop computer and more? The little lockers were not adequate for much (passport, wallet, small camera, not my laptop!!). The single beds (smaller than standard single beds) were adequate. I had no issues with theft.

The kitchen is in the basement, so I had to go up and down 4 flights of stairs constantly. The only people that had it worse were the people on the 4th floor. Bathrooms-There are 3 bathrooms on each floor for approx 12 rooms of 2 people each or 24 people, yet 1 bathroom is woman-only. Since woman use the co-ed bathrooms, but men can’t use the woman-only bathroom, this is not appropriate. The women have access to more bathrooms than the men. All 3 bathrooms should be available to everyone. The bathrooms were generally clean, although the showers were better in some bathrooms than others. Despite the people to bathroom ratio, I only had to wait for a bathroom twice (I got up between 9-930am), and the second time, since I was checking out, found a available bathroom on the first floor (with a crappy shower). The kitchen area was lacking in metal cutlery, drinking glasses and coffee mugs. When I arrived there were 3 mugs, midway into my stay, people took them to their rooms and didn’t return them. There were 3 TVs in the basement, 2 with digital cable receivers. They were adequate. Unsecure Wi-Fi internet access was in the lobby & basement. The Wi-Fi access speed was fine, but the security should have been WPA or WPA2. There are 3 computers in the basement for internet access, 20 min for $10US I think. It’s easy to meet fellow travelers in the basement. Check-out was quick & smooth. The hostel is on a hill, 1 block from the B/C subway lines. There is a medium-sized grocery store 3 streets South down Manhattan St. and 1 street East on 100th. Across the street from the hostel and at Manhattan & 100th is a little grocery store where you can get hot food. The area around the hostel seems to be frequented by Hispanic businesses and is safe.
On one night, the bed next to mine was vacant. The next night (following morning, 5am) the staff assigned the vacant bed to a Russian couple. They woke me up at 5 when they brought in their luggage, then to take out stuff to shower, then later a laptop to find other accommodations. The couple screwed up, thinking they would pay the single person fee for 2 people, so they didn’t pay and left at 10am. Why did the staff give the other bed in my room to 2 people, causing me to lose sleep for nothing? This was a bad decision on the staff’s part. I’ve been in third world countries, seen some awful living conditions and stayed at some crappy hotels. I rate this hotel as average for it’s class of hotel and price.
Summary: I would have had a more restful stay here if I was given a less noisy room on one side, facing away from 103rd street. Room lockers were too small for me. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed October 14, 2010

this was our first hostel experience just to know where we are coming from.

important note to remember for early fall travelers! was there the first week of Oct, temperatures were in the 50s-60s. heater aint controlled by us and it was not on yet, so room could get a tad chilly in the mornings. besides that, the hostel worked our pretty well for us. was kinda prepared for the worse when people mentioned rude staff and what nots.

they have a nice lounge in the basement with lots of seating space, tv and a kitchen. they also have a pay to surf internet there if you need it. their bathrooms and rooms are cleaned everyday or at least once every 2 days. good enough for me. rooms have nothing, no table, no chairs, just a bed. guess that is typical of hostels. definitely nothing to do when in the hostel so this is plainly meant for sleeping only. there is a locker in the room thou if you want to use it. we didn't as they let you keep your valuables with them at the front desk every day you leave the room. so i kept my laptop with them. extremely close to the subway making it very convenient for us to travel downtown in like 10 mins? also, if anyone is interested, there are coin laundry machines just a few streets away (between 105th and 106th on Columbus Ave) so you can do your laundry and not need to bring huge luggage of clothes along.

all in all, experience was great! would definitely recommend people staying there as a budget stay in Manhattan for easy access to everything else awesome.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

New York City is notoriously expensive, especially when it comes to accommodation. For travellers looking to save some money without compromising on location and cleanliness, the Central Park Hostel is a good bet. Firstly, this is not a hotel and has none of the amenities a hotel should have. The Central Park hostel is a budget accommodation establishment with correspondingly low prices.

There is a range of different accommodation options, ranging from private studio apartments to private rooms to shared dormitory style bedrooms. Only the private studio apartments have private ensuite bathrooms; all other rooms come with shared baths. If you are unused to backpacking or if this is your first time, the Central Park hostel may intimidate you, but as hostels come, it is comfortable and clean.

We were only in NYC for one night between our flight landing and driving upstate to attend a wedding. We chose a private room with a shared bath. For US$99 a night, taxes included, the room was great value, especially considering the location - on Manhattan Avenue just one block west of Central Park and with the subway and shops close by. The hostel is within walking distance to 5th Avenue's famed Museum Mile, just across Central Park; the walk will take about 20 minutes or so but on a fine day it is an absolute pleasure.

The room had comfortable beds, hardwood floors, sufficient storage and a slightly noisy air conditioner - a must during New York's hot and humid summer nights. The shared bathrooms saw heavy use as there is only one per floor. We woke up earlier in the day to use the bathrooms before they got overly grotty. To be fair, a cleaner came later during the day to tidy up, but all in all there could have been more bathrooms and they could have been cleaner. There is a common recreation lounge area, and a manned security desk with secured front door, so the hostel felt very safe.

Linens are provided, but towels are not, so bring your own. You can settle your hostel bill either with cash or traveler's check, and the Central Park Hostel only accepts guests with foreign passports or Americans from out of New York State. Guests can stay for a maximum of 13 days.

Overall, the Central Park Hostel was great value for a clean and safe bed in New York City. The location is not in Midtown, but it is close to a subway stop and Central Park. If you are simply looking for a place to rest your head for a few nights without having to fork out New York city hotel prices, the hostel represents good value.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank silverwolf22
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed 8 nights in one of their newly fitted studio apartments, the room was great. It is a hostel so the entrance is not plush but the staff were friendly and helpful, the amenities were good and we felt safe and secure. The room and service was all better than expected and the location was exceptional making it absolutely fantastic value for money!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank hotelinfo_4
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed here with a friend in december 2009, and was really worried about staying in a hostel as it was my first time doing so, however i was pleasently surprised.
The hostel was a little awayfrom the main tourist attractions however is a minutes walk from the metro line so it was really easy to get around.
The room was ok with lockers for everyone, couple of chairs, mirrors etc, we stayed in a bunk room for upto 12 people but in the week we were there was never full.
the tv room was sufficent with comfy chairs and cable tv,
overall it was a great value place to stay in comparison to many hotels in newyork, i wouldnt recomend it with young children or even as a couple really but if your travelling alone or with friends its a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2010

In my experience with hostels, I have come to understand that there is often an unwritten rule that goes something like, "if you don't like the way the person looks, you don't have to sell them a bed." Understanding the dynamic world of travelers, personality conflicts, and sharing a living space, I can't say I disagree entirely. However, I witnessed something rather disturbing at Central Park Hostel.

When I checked into CPH the week before Independence Day, I was pleased to be given a bed considering that NYC does book out solid on this weekend. I was a little surprised to have to pay cash for my bed, but - again - I was grateful for the room. I summoned the strength to carry my bags to the fourth floor (there is no elevator in this hostel), and checked into what appeared to be a clean room with two beds. Bathroom down the hall. Pretty standard. Even though the A/C was a little loud, the lounge was great... and I was happy to be in a hostel for the night, possibly the week.

My roommate, a beautiful young girl from Germany, entered my room late that night after I had gone to sleep. She made a sincere attempt at being quiet, leaving the light off as she crawled into bed. The next morning, during our first conversation, I learned that she would have to check out of the hostel that morning because "the woman at the front desk doesn't like me." Hesitant to believe that this could be the reason, I offered to let her leave her enormous bag with my bags in the room until she sorted out her situation, meaning that she would wait until the other woman left the front desk and check in later with the night attendant.

To keep this short, I watched as (1) she was told that there were no beds in the hostel, despite the fact that the other bed in my room stayed empty for the entire next night ; (2) her photograph was hung in the hostel with a "do not sell a bed to this girl" message; and (3) I was put on the "do not extend" list for helping this girl with her luggage during my first night at this hostel.

Perhaps I have missed something important, and time will certainly reveal what I might have missed in this situation. However, what I saw did appear to be discrimination (and this girl was really beautiful) without cause, price shifting for different people from different countries (other guests), and a young girl without a place to sleep in a hostel with a definite bed.

I may not clearly understand certain things about the world or about certain situations, and - because of this - I would not typically have made the effort to write a review. However, I was specifically asked to write about this situation by one of the other counter attendants who had been give specific instructions not to extend the stay for the German girl, given no specific reason for rejecting her aside from what he thought was simply "jealousy."

Traveling and beautiful is not punishable by homelessness. Traveling and ingratitude, maybe, but being beautiful does not mean that life is automatically easy, so there is absolutely no reason to go out of anyone's way to make it particularly difficult. Life is difficult enough, and we all need places to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank thekek
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I wouldn't not reccomend this hostel, but I would like to think there are better ones in New York. It was pretty cheap ($40), but I am sure there are cheaper still and for what it was - a room shared with one other person - it was fine. The staff did their job - filled out the paper work and gave me a key...they weren't unpleasant they just didn't go out of their way...or smile. The hostel itself was somewhat sterile...a few posters and stuff but nothing exciting. The lounge was comfy and it was nice to sit and have a drink with fellow travellers after a long day of walking.
the area leaves something to be desired though...yes it is by central park but there are some not so nice kids in the area. We saw a bunch walk down the street jumping on cars, kicking them, yelling, etc. I am very glad I took the bus :)
All in all, staying at this hostel didn't take away from my experience in NYC, but it also didn't add too it. It was a bed, I felt safe inside, and it was cheaper than a hotel. Perfect for me because I only needed it for a quick nights rest...if you are looking to be wowed and to meet a lot of people - I suggest looking for another hostel though.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo