“Shockingly bad experience”

Ranked #59 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Shockingly bad experience”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and it was the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel or guest house. The room was dingy and tired, we hardly slept because the bed squeaked loudly everytime we moved, we were given someone else's left over breakfast, the bathroom was dirty and when we politely told the manager about our problems he shouted at us and told us he was too busy to speak to us. This was such an unpleasant and disappointing experience. Needless to say, we would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mdh1000
dsasse, General Manager at The Gracie Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Guest was on a short 2 day trip from Europe to NYC. He pre-paid for the first night. Everything was fine UNTIL... his credit card declined for the second night. Then the complaints started rolling in. A male employee offered to inspect his room but he kept trying to lure a female employee into his room to lay on his bed. Needless to say, she felt uncomfortable. He broke out into a RAGE while his female travel companion remained silent.
(If I was traveling and having financial concerns. I would be unrested too.) He demanded 25% off his entire bill. I was able to get an authorization for the remaining balance. He said that was fair and he was happy. It looks like he had enough money to get home and we are happy for him.
We hope he finds some peace and rest. The mattress and box springs is only 4 months old and still under full warranty. The guest before and the 5 guest since have not complained. I inspected the bed and it seems good. Interesting how he never mentioned his card being declined or the partial refund. This room remains to be our most requested room. Just goes to show sometimes you can not throw money at problems especially ones that run deep.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've been to New York several times and stayed in different places, I obviously know it is not cheap to stay in Manhattan. This looked reasonable when i booked via Booking.com and the pictures made it look reasonable. I was not expecting anything amazing. I also was not expecting to end up with terrible back pain due to a trapped nerve from attempting to sleep in the awful, uncomfortable bed. The 1st night we slept in it the right way around but the bottom was higher than the head of the bed so this felt weird and I kept sliding into the middle of the bed as there was also a dip in the mattress. We tried to switch around the next night so our heads were higher than our feet...and I ended up with a trapped nerve in my back for several days which was a particular nightmare for me on the 8 hour flight and the 2 hour flights home.

As for checking in, this was difficult. I have to say that they did contact me on my home phone in England to confirm the reservation...however this was a day or so before our arrival, when we were already in the USA. When we got there at about 3.00pm (there was no check in time stated on paperwork) there was a note on the door saying that you had to phone if you arrived after 6.30pm. We eventually had to phone using a UK contract mobile phone as we had no other means, the phenomenal cost of this has yet to come through on statement, the call took ages whilst it was explained to us how to get into the place.

We were asked to fill in a sheet regarding our breakfast order including which time slot we wanted. We did this but breakfast never arrived during the time slot we had chosen, sometimes before, sometimes after. After the first morning we never got what had been requested, including nothing to drink for myself. The 'toast' is not toast...it appears to be bread heated up in a microwave. A 'lightly toasted blueberry muffin' means a red hot muffin warmed in the microwave. Not a major issue overall in respect of breakfast, I don't expect much from breakfasts on holiday and I had bought my own drinks - but why ask and then ignore the request.

They seem to provide a few extras in the way of toiletries, a little bottle of mouthwash and cotton buds, however we were only given 1/2 a roll of toilet roll initially. They did come in to clean the room the first day (superficially made the bed and emptied a bin), I had thought they would replenish stocks of toilet roll at this point, but they don't so you have to leave a note. It's not necessarily easy to ask anyone for anything as we only saw someone on 2 occasions during our 4 night stay. To be fair the two men we did see were pleasant enough.

An error on my part was forgetting to check the subway links when I booked the holiday. We walk a lot, we walked over 140 miles on our 3 week trip away, we expected to walk, but it would have been a little bit easier if I'd booked somewhere near a useful subway line. The only subway line on the east side doesn't really connect well with most places. We gave up on some occasions using it and walked an extra few miles here and there.

I would bear all the above in mind before booking to stay here. The pictures on Booking.com do not do justice to the shoddy room and wonky bed! I would definitely recommend looking elsewhere, I will next time!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JoanneM1919

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

A hidden gem, tucked away in upper east side. Old school feel, friendly staff, interesting and accommodating manger, walking distance to central park. Amazing value for a great location in the city. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Love the neighborhood .
Loved the staff
I loved the fact that I was able to eat breakfast in bed .
loved the fact my room was nice and quite, clean .

Also, loved the fact i was able to stay there for tree days and it cost me less than a thousand considering the it located in the upper eastside.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Rooms very dirty. Same dirt when I checked in and when I checked out five days later. Manager nasty. Barely enough light to see myself certainly not enough to read a book. Should have slept in the park!

Room Tip: There aren't any in this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Sela B
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 25, 2013

was stuck for a night in new york and found this very cosy little hotel with great staff. was able to see a lot in the city as the location was pretty idle in relation to the subway lines and to get to central park. manager of the hotel is very friendly and really lenient with check out times which is a big plus if you have a evening flight out of new york.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 24, 2013

So glad we stayed at the Gracie Inn! Old school charm, really cool manager, quiet neighborhood with great restaurants all around - East End Kitchen was terrific! Gracie Inn is quite possibly the best value in the city.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends