“We left satisfied, but made a couple observations”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #30 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Flemington, New Jersey
“We left satisfied, but made a couple observations”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel during our weekend getaway. There are many good things to say about the hotel but there are a couple things that we noted. First the good things. The staff at the hotel greeted us with a smile and two free glasses of champagne. We felt like valued customers and we also felt safe and treated right. Check in was prompt and we arrived at our room without delay. The lobby of the hotel is charmingly unique. It is not the typical hotel you would see when staying at a large chain hotel, and that is why we choose to stay here. The location is safe as well as quiet. It is in walking distance of several attractions and subway stops. The hallways are nicely painted and the facility looks well taken care of. The rooms however are honestly pretty average. The bed is nothing special, and the decor didn't blow me away. The size is also not that great, for the price, I thought it would be slightly larger. The bathroom was something of a concern. It was a nice bathroom with great toiletries, however as far as privacy goes, it was lacking. The bathroom is right next to the bed and it's walls are made of frosted glass. If you're using the toilet with someone else in the room, they know exactly whats going on. We ate at the restaurant, and we felt it could have been a better experience. That's how I would rate the hotel overall, it was very nice however you can clearly notice some aspects that could be improved upon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear brendan d,

Thank you for your feedback. We will be sure to review these details as we continue to improve and look forward to welcoming you back to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel soon...

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
helsinki
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was my second time here, and a good one again. Been lately tempted to choose accomodation in Brooklyn, but this time we stayed so little time that this Low-Manhattan neighbourhood seemed a good compromise. Its easy to take a walk from here to everywhere, especially to Century21 which is just a few blocks away. (If you are in need of a good and inexpensive haircut, I would recommend an Azerbaizanian one just the next door Platt Street) The Platt/Gold streets are relatively quiet, so no problem with sleeping either. The staff is great, so is the restaurant and bar, only a little overpriced. Rooms, housekeeping - just great. We occupied the lady in the front desk with many questions daily, so thanks for her. She was very co-operative, complaining only her bad web connections to fulfill our needs fast. (We were fine waiting) Can somebody there upgrade her web, please?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting, jussi t. We appreciate your kind note about our great staff and how much you enjoyed your stay with us again. We hope you will be staying with us again soon...

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I would definitely stay at Gild Hall again. It is impeccably maintained and the staff is professional and friendly, great customer service. Hotel restaurant, bar and room service were excellent. I recommend upgrading to the suite. The room was clean, comfortable and well maintained. If the weather is nice take the time to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your thoughtful comments, Roy D, and your kind words regarding our team mean a lot to us. We are always proud to be called "Excellent"! Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Gild Hall soon...

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Me and my husband recently returned from a 4 night stay at Gild Hall. This hotel is absolutely charming and spotless! There is a wonderful signature scent as you enter the hotel that is mesmerizing. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the bar had our favorite prosecco on hand. The bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet to sleep there. Everyone was extremely helpful as we tried to make our way through New York City and we also loved the location. There were several grocery stores, coffee houses, and drugstores within minutes of walking. Fulton Subway station was desireably located around the corner as well. We're looking forward to our next visit and stay at Gildhall.

Dear Janelle B,

Thank you for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel again in the very near future!

Warm regards,

Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We had several problems:
1. Our room phone was broken and was not fixed during our stay. While some of the staff came up to our room to communicate with us, others did not and completely kept us hanging, which was not professional.
2. There was dried urine on the toilet seat when we checked in.
That is quite unacceptable.
3. We asked for slippers on our first night.
The staff said they couldn't find the slippers, but promised that housekeeping would leave two pairs of slippers in our room the next morning.
When we came back to the room the next evening, we still did not have slippers in our room. When I went to the front desk (since I could not call the front desk because our room phone was still broken), the lady at the front desk rudely told me I would likely not get slippers until the next morning (when we would be checking out!).
I walked her through the previous night, and she asked another staff member to find slippers for me.
After waiting for over half an hour for our slippers to arrive, my husband called the front desk from his cell phone.
We were then told that the hotel is out of slippers and won't have any until the next shipment.
I told the staff member that this was unprofessional and unacceptable, and they should have left a note in our room or communicated this with us somehow.
About half an hour after we hung up, a staff member showed up with slippers, at which point, we had already showered and it was too late...
4) Housekeeping should be quieter in the hallway in the mornings, when they're knocking on the doors and *yelling* "housekeeping!" loudly early in the morning. It is really not a pleasant way to wake up.

While the hotel looks very nice, and initially quite welcoming and impressive with the complementary Prosecco, it does not follow through.
While the bedcover was quite comfortable, the noise from the hallway ruined the prospect of a good night's sleep.
The staff's lack of communication skills also soured what could have been a pleasant stay.

1 Thank IstanbuliteinUSA
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear IstanbuliteinBoston,

We appreciate your feedback. We apologize that your experience was not up to our usual level of excellent service and will be sure to review these details thoroughly, so as to resolve any issues for future stays. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Warm regards,

tbc2008
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed just one night while in NYC for work. It's a very nice looking, clean, small hotel. I was able to check in early and my room was average size, very clean and very quiet. I spent little time in the hotel and didn't get to check out the bar and restaurant which looked good. The service by all staff encountered was exceptional! This is what impressed me the most. I was sick and woke up with laryngitis the next morning. Robert at the front desk brought me water and helped me with directions. At the end of the day when I returned to get my luggage, Robert was there and asked how I was feeling. He got me more water, had me take a seat and went down the street to get me a cab (it was a shift change time so cabs were scarce). I'm sure to him this was just part of the job but for me it made a difference in my long tiring work week. For the downtown area I highly recommend. It's very close to NYSE.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear tbc2008,

Thank you for posting and your recommendation. Your kind words mean so much to us, especially your comment about my colleague Robert. Your note put a big smile on his face. For that we are very thankful! We look forward to your next stay....

Warmest regards,

New Jersey
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed at Gild Hall for one night a couple of months ago on a combined business/leisure trip, and I’m not quite sure what everyone else is seeing that I missed. I simply didn’t think that this hotel was nearly as great as many other reviewers have indicated. I’m young and pretty open to all types of hotel and décor, but nothing here really stood out to me as great. I thought it was just ok overall.

The first thing to note is Gild Hall’s location. I was well aware of the meandering, narrow streets of the area ahead of time, but I was unhappy with the fact that Gild Hall is located on a very depressing sort of side street. The particular street the hotel is on just had an alley-like, overly dirty feel to it that I did not like. It took away from the experience. However, I will admit that I heard no noise from the room and got a very good night’s sleep, so the location may be good in that sense, and if you need to be downtown, it is convenient to many things. It was an easy walk from the office I needed to get to, as well as to many major downtown restaurants and attractions. We enjoyed being able to easily walk to Battery Park, South Street Seaport, and the World Trade Center area.

We drove in and parked at the hotel. I really didn’t find it as hard to find the hotel as others have mentioned. It’s definitely harder to find things downtown versus other areas of Manhattan, but it was no problem with the aid of a GPS. The hotel is at the corner of Gold & Platt Streets, with an address on Gold Street. However, if you’re driving in, note that you’ll want to come in on Platt Street for the hotel’s front entrance and valet. Parking for the night was $65 (my small SUV was a little bit extra because it counted as oversized), which will always be a lot of money just to park, but really isn’t unexpected or outrageous in New York.

We arrived at normal check-in time in the late afternoon, and I was surprised how unprepared the front desk staff was to handle guests at that time. It wasn’t even very busy, but the woman who was working the front desk was totally flustered and not overly professional (but nice enough). I’m not sure if she was new at the time, but it took almost five minutes to get my credit card successfully swiped before someone else had to come show her what to do, and the overall process just felt laborious. She also failed to provide functioning room keys, so after the lengthy check-in process, I only had to come right back down from the room to get new keys when I couldn’t get into my room. She was apologetic, and it wasn’t a huge deal, but my initial impression of the hotel wasn’t the best. This was a bit odd, since the staff I encountered at the front desk the next day was 100% more competent and efficient, handling billing and putting in a late checkout with ease. I guess it’s somewhat hit-or-miss at the front desk.

The overall feel of Gild Hall is a sort of dark, masculine hunting lodge, which I definitely do like in principle. The lobby, while a bit small, definitely carries this out, as do the rooms. The rooms are very dark, with dark carpet and wood throughout. However, I think the rooms go beyond being nicely masculine, bordering on gloomy. The fact that the rooms get basically no natural sunlight due to closely neighboring buildings contributes to the overall gloominess, which I didn’t like. It doesn’t help that the lighting was quite dim. The room wasn’t a bad size, and the king bed was comfortable with a really interesting leather headboard. However, on the whole, it just felt a bit more depressing than I would like.

The bathroom was nicely appointed and seemed recently redone, with nice tile and marble floors. It was an ok size for New York, although there was really no storage space for toiletries. Be aware that the bathrooms lack privacy. One bathroom wall and the door are completely glass. Although it’s not totally see-through, it’s close enough. My girlfriend and I both commented that it was a bit too much for our taste. You’ll be on display to anyone you’re traveling with at all times in the bathroom.

I also felt that our room had an ever-so-slightly dirty feel to it. I couldn’t really put my finger on what made it feel that way, since it was generally clean. I think this feeling came from the old air/heater unit, a bit of dust/grime in the corners of the carpet, and some wear and tear to the baseboards.

Also, don’t expect to get work done at the desk in the room. The desk is very narrow and the desk chair, while visually appealing, isn’t comfortable. The same goes for the sort of bench seating by the window. It looks comfortable and seems like a good idea, but is not very functional.

One thing I found a bit odd about this hotel is that it seems there isn’t any sort of service elevator. I never realized that this makes a difference, but I’ve never been in a hotel where the elevator was so frequently filled employees with maid carts, linens, and maintenance supplies. I have no problem sharing the elevator with employees, and they were all very friendly, but it got to be a bit much, especially in the morning. There were multiple times that I had to wait for a second elevator when trying to leave because the elevators were full of employees going places.

We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant, Felice. The restaurant is small and cheery. Breakfast wasn’t overly expensive, and I was very happy with the quality and presentation of the food. The design-your-own smoothie option was nice. The food was pretty slow to come out, and it seemed that there wasn’t much staff there to get things going. However, the meal was enjoyable and the service was very friendly. It was a good, convenient breakfast option.

Overall, I wouldn’t say that we had a bad stay at Gild Hall, but it was a bit disappointing to me, given my expectations after reading TripAdvisor reviews. I expected much more for close to $500 per night. I found the location and rooms to be dark and depressing. The room was nice, but simply too dark and dingy for my liking. It simply didn’t feel as upscale as it should for the price. I wouldn’t come back unless I had a good reason to do so, since there are tons of hotels in New York City and I’m sure I could find others more to my liking in the downtown area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank mrg0137
Dear mrg0137,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough post. We apologize that your stay was not as memorable and enjoyable as it should have been and we hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly in order to make the necessary arrangements.

Warmest regards,