“Just Average: Not Sure What Everyone Else Is Seeing”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #33 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed at Gild Hall for one night a couple of months ago on a combined business/leisure trip, and I’m not quite sure what everyone else is seeing that I missed. I simply didn’t think that this hotel was nearly as great as many other reviewers have indicated. I’m young and pretty open to all types of hotel and décor, but nothing here really stood out to me as great. I thought it was just ok overall.

The first thing to note is Gild Hall’s location. I was well aware of the meandering, narrow streets of the area ahead of time, but I was unhappy with the fact that Gild Hall is located on a very depressing sort of side street. The particular street the hotel is on just had an alley-like, overly dirty feel to it that I did not like. It took away from the experience. However, I will admit that I heard no noise from the room and got a very good night’s sleep, so the location may be good in that sense, and if you need to be downtown, it is convenient to many things. It was an easy walk from the office I needed to get to, as well as to many major downtown restaurants and attractions. We enjoyed being able to easily walk to Battery Park, South Street Seaport, and the World Trade Center area.

We drove in and parked at the hotel. I really didn’t find it as hard to find the hotel as others have mentioned. It’s definitely harder to find things downtown versus other areas of Manhattan, but it was no problem with the aid of a GPS. The hotel is at the corner of Gold & Platt Streets, with an address on Gold Street. However, if you’re driving in, note that you’ll want to come in on Platt Street for the hotel’s front entrance and valet. Parking for the night was $65 (my small SUV was a little bit extra because it counted as oversized), which will always be a lot of money just to park, but really isn’t unexpected or outrageous in New York.

We arrived at normal check-in time in the late afternoon, and I was surprised how unprepared the front desk staff was to handle guests at that time. It wasn’t even very busy, but the woman who was working the front desk was totally flustered and not overly professional (but nice enough). I’m not sure if she was new at the time, but it took almost five minutes to get my credit card successfully swiped before someone else had to come show her what to do, and the overall process just felt laborious. She also failed to provide functioning room keys, so after the lengthy check-in process, I only had to come right back down from the room to get new keys when I couldn’t get into my room. She was apologetic, and it wasn’t a huge deal, but my initial impression of the hotel wasn’t the best. This was a bit odd, since the staff I encountered at the front desk the next day was 100% more competent and efficient, handling billing and putting in a late checkout with ease. I guess it’s somewhat hit-or-miss at the front desk.

The overall feel of Gild Hall is a sort of dark, masculine hunting lodge, which I definitely do like in principle. The lobby, while a bit small, definitely carries this out, as do the rooms. The rooms are very dark, with dark carpet and wood throughout. However, I think the rooms go beyond being nicely masculine, bordering on gloomy. The fact that the rooms get basically no natural sunlight due to closely neighboring buildings contributes to the overall gloominess, which I didn’t like. It doesn’t help that the lighting was quite dim. The room wasn’t a bad size, and the king bed was comfortable with a really interesting leather headboard. However, on the whole, it just felt a bit more depressing than I would like.

The bathroom was nicely appointed and seemed recently redone, with nice tile and marble floors. It was an ok size for New York, although there was really no storage space for toiletries. Be aware that the bathrooms lack privacy. One bathroom wall and the door are completely glass. Although it’s not totally see-through, it’s close enough. My girlfriend and I both commented that it was a bit too much for our taste. You’ll be on display to anyone you’re traveling with at all times in the bathroom.

I also felt that our room had an ever-so-slightly dirty feel to it. I couldn’t really put my finger on what made it feel that way, since it was generally clean. I think this feeling came from the old air/heater unit, a bit of dust/grime in the corners of the carpet, and some wear and tear to the baseboards.

Also, don’t expect to get work done at the desk in the room. The desk is very narrow and the desk chair, while visually appealing, isn’t comfortable. The same goes for the sort of bench seating by the window. It looks comfortable and seems like a good idea, but is not very functional.

One thing I found a bit odd about this hotel is that it seems there isn’t any sort of service elevator. I never realized that this makes a difference, but I’ve never been in a hotel where the elevator was so frequently filled employees with maid carts, linens, and maintenance supplies. I have no problem sharing the elevator with employees, and they were all very friendly, but it got to be a bit much, especially in the morning. There were multiple times that I had to wait for a second elevator when trying to leave because the elevators were full of employees going places.

We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant, Felice. The restaurant is small and cheery. Breakfast wasn’t overly expensive, and I was very happy with the quality and presentation of the food. The design-your-own smoothie option was nice. The food was pretty slow to come out, and it seemed that there wasn’t much staff there to get things going. However, the meal was enjoyable and the service was very friendly. It was a good, convenient breakfast option.

Overall, I wouldn’t say that we had a bad stay at Gild Hall, but it was a bit disappointing to me, given my expectations after reading TripAdvisor reviews. I expected much more for close to $500 per night. I found the location and rooms to be dark and depressing. The room was nice, but simply too dark and dingy for my liking. It simply didn’t feel as upscale as it should for the price. I wouldn’t come back unless I had a good reason to do so, since there are tons of hotels in New York City and I’m sure I could find others more to my liking in the downtown area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank mrg0137
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear mrg0137,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough post. We apologize that your stay was not as memorable and enjoyable as it should have been and we hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly in order to make the necessary arrangements.

Warmest regards,

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed December 20, 2013

The reviews do not lie. The staff at Gild Hall are exceptionally friendly and helpful. We were greeted enthusiastically and it set the stage for a wonderful stay. The hotel is chic and hip but at the same time comfortable and accommodating - not intimidating or cold at all. Our television did not work properly - one phone call was made to the front desk and in less than 5 minutes someone was at our door to fix the problem. Thank you for a great stay Gild Hall - we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear torontosabol,

Your kind words about our staff mean a lot to us. Thank you and we hope you will be visiting us again soon...

Kindest regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in December 2013. The hotel is 2 minutes from Fulton street subway with access to red blue lines so airport and uptown are quickly access able. The hotel staff are friendly and polite alway taking time to welcome you back or offer advice if your heading for the street. The hallways on each floor have picture of Hollywood stars from the past, worth a look. Rooms are clean and the decor is boutique with a positive feel. The bath room partition leaves little to the imagination the screen could do with some modesty panels. Other wise this is a beautiful hotel and location. Great location that I hope to visit again

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Gedcranny,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you felt welcome and comfortable during your visit and we hope you will be returning again in the near future...

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We loved the hidden hipness of this hotel situated on a small street named Gold in downtown Nyc. It has a very warm & welcoming atmosphere which will remind you of a modern cabin-like feel, and the staff are very friendly too. The rooms were quite suitable for the price we paid, and we enjoyed the restaurant & bar down in the lobby, which added life to the entrance of the property. There are cool restaurants & shops nearby to the hotel, so the location worked for us as well. Overall, a very enjoyable experience from beginning to end!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be equally stylish, and well equipped for maximum enjoyment factor. The Penthous...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Silverstar13,

Thank you very much for your great review. We truly appreciate being called "cool and hip"! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be returning soon...

Warmest regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Gild Hall is now my favourite hotel in the city. From the wonderful scent that greats you upon arrival in the lobby, to the extremely helpful and pleasant staff, to the complimentary prosecco upon check-in...it seemed as if our trip to NYC was off to a really good start. Little did we know that we would also fall in love with the beds, the QUIET, the amazing Tuscan food at Felice, the lobby restaurant. I just can't say enough about this lovely gem of a hotel. There was something magical about calling Gild Hall home for 3 nights-I loved being in the financial district with it's charming non-grid streets, fantastic nearby restaurants and bars, and proximity to the Fulton Street Subway. Thank you Gild Hall for a wonderful stay-see you again!

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the Elevator Banks and Ice Machines. We got room 66--while there was N...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BySweetButter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this amazing review! Your passion for our hotel and your kind note about our staff is greatly appreciated. We can't wait to welcome you back...

Your friends at Gild Hall

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights from the 7th dec. Found the hotel round the corner from subway easy trip from the airport. On checking in we were given a glass of prosecco and our room was upgraded :) the lady checking us in was very nice think her name was Violet. Room was very spacious, clean and warm. Half an hour after checking in a bottle of prosecco and a plate of fresh fruit was brought to the room, thank you very much Mr Blaha.
The hotel is in the financial district but within easy reach of all the major attractions by use of the subway or walking.
We always enjoyed walking back into the lobby of the hotel as it had a lovely smell (what is it please?)
The bar and restaurant looked nice and always seemed busy.
Each night a small cake was placed by the bedside,nice touch.
The only negative was the air con was a bit noisy when it kicked in, apart from that we had a great stay thanks.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stemarj,

Thank you for your review. Your kind words regarding our team mean a lot to us. We are also excited to read your feedback about our new custom Thompson Hotel scent. We look forward to welcoming you back to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel soon...

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was looking for a small boutique hotel. Was afraid that it might comes out with not the appropriate level and was glad to find out that the room were large enough and very clean, staff was friendly and very helpful. The atmosphere is great. close to metro station and enough to dine around.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear ShimiO,

Thank you for your review. We hope you will be making a return visit soon...

Kind regards,