“Great staff”

Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed last week for four days with my wife. The location in the Financial District was a change from our usual Midtown choice but the subway was so convenient. The staff were very helpful. Janette and Robert provided great assistance. The hotel room was just the right size for people on the go. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was very quiet, a plus in New York.

Would defintley stay here again on the Porter Escapes package.

Room Tip: Took an upper room at the end of the hall which was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Richard U,

Thank you for your great comment about our hotel and particularly your kind note about Janette & Robert. This will make their day! We are looking forward to your next stay at Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at Gild Hall for 2 nights / 3 days in March 2013. I booked the Superior Room through their website, where the room ended up being US$230 per night after all the taxes were worked in.

The hotel is located in lower Manhattan, where a Holiday Inn Express will cost you the same amount. With this in view, Gild Hall represented excellent value for what you got in the room, hotel environment, location, and comparison to other hotels in the area.

I thought the location was great, however, if you are a tourist, please consider Gild Hall's Lower Manhattan location. This area of the city is quieter than midtown and downtown (especially so on weekends, when the financial offices are closed). It is about a US$10 to US$20 taxi ride away from downtown and midtown, respectively. There is excellent access to the subway system (24 hours), with the Fulton Street station being a couple of blocks away -- convenient lines of the A, C, 2, 3, 4, 5.

The internet was available for an extra US$15 per day (probably excluded taxes), where I declined on the internet as it was an additional charge. It is lower than what other business hotels would charge, however, it would have been great if it could have been free, even if only in the lobby. There is a Starbucks on William Street 1 block away with free Wifi access.

The staff were well-mannered, pleasant, helpful, and appeared trained for customer service. They seemed to enjoy working there and with each other. We found Brian at the front desk to be especially helpful during our stay.

Gild Hall uses Bigelow toiletries, which is a plus.

Rooms were clean and of interesting appointments. I loved the hallway corridors of Gild Hall. The air felt dry through the HVAC system where I didn't sleep great at night -- but this may be due to the overall dryer air in Northeast US where I was still adjusting. I'm not convinced on the light pillows used in the beds, where I would have preferred standard larger/firmer pillows.

There is a lounge on the second floor where the hotel was flexible to turn down the volume of the music while I took an early morning conference call.

After check-out, I learned that there are fitness facilities on several floors of the hotel. I didn't have a chance to use these facilities even if I would have known up-front. Good to know for next time.

Really a good experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bentobox007
Dear bentobox007,

We appreciate your detailed review of Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel and your perfect score.
It was especially great to hear from you how much you liked the hotel, its location and our staff. Furthermore, we are so thrilled to hear about the Brian's great customer service. Please note that we do offer free WiFi now in our lobby area.

Your friends at Gild Hall
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

As tourists unfamiliar with New York City we booked this lower Manhattan hotel through the British Airways website, mostly based upon cost and appearance. We were not disappointed.

On check-in we were welcomed enthusiastically by the reception staff, who throughout the week were helpful and friendly.

Due to the lower-rise nature of the hotel (relative to its surroundings) we didn't have much of a view our, but after long and hectic days of touring the city this made the perfect retreat. With its quiet location we were not disturbed at all by traffic noise or the city bustle.

The room itself was immaculately clean, cosy and extremely comfortable. The only fault personally would be the lack of tea / coffee making facilities in the room, but that could just be my English ways.

The library bar(s) and reception do feel like a world away after busy touristy days and the Felice restaurant within the hotel is excellent.

Initially I was concerned the downtown location was a little isolated but there are many facilities nearby such as Duane Reade & local stores, fast-food, Fulton Street subway, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry as well as great dining at Felice in the hotel and Harry's Bar at Hanover Square.

Thank you Gild Hall for your great hospitality and for making our NY trip even more enjoyable. I would recommend this hotel with confidence if your looking for a quieter out-of-town spot.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Stevedb076
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind commentary and your detailed review. We especially appreciate your remarks to Gild Hall’s great downtown location which is unfortunately not commonly known or sometimes mistakenly perceived as not as pristine. So thank you again and please enjoy an English breakfast tea on us the next time you stay at Gild Hall – A Thompson Hotel.
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel was just perfect for us. We stayed in Feb. for 2 weeks in total and loved it. As other reviews said, it is a GEM. It has a boutique hotel atmosphere, feels welcoming and cozy, especially in winter! The staff throughout were young, helpful and friendly. In New York were life is full on it was a pleasure to come " home" every night.
The restaurant and bar are lively and add to the overall atmosphere of a good place to be. the food, a little slow in getting to the table maybe, is good with an Italian feel to it.
Our room was perfect, bed comfortable with super quality linen. Bathroom spacious and every thing worked. Even with all the guest in the restaurant and upstairs bar there was not noise and we slept undisturbed.
Just a great place, perfectly managed

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your outstanding review. We are so glad to hear about Gild Hall being your "home away from home". Should one of your next trips take you back to New York City we will be waiting for you...
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed at the Gildhall for two nights. It is very conveniently located in Downtown NYC close to Wall St and Seaport. The rooms are a good size (for NYC) and the whole hotel has the feel of a boutique style hotel being very tastefully decorated.

The staff were extremely helpful and were able to answer all of my questions. On my departure the receptionist went out in the rain to find a taxi for me and brought it back to the hotel so that I didn't have to wait outside.

The downstairs bar is very pleasant and again, the staff were very friendly.

I did not get a chance to use the fitness rooms but colleagues told me that they are quite small.

In summary - a very good business hotel with a friendly feel to it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear about our staff's "can do attitude" and the great customer service they consistently provide on a daily basis. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with future reservation requests.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I just returned from a 3-day stay at Gild Hall and I was so impressed with their amazing customer service. I came to New York for a business/industry related function and didn’t choose this hotel, but I’m glad the organization I belong to did. Tomo and Janette and the other desk attendants and were very attentive to all our needs. From arranging cab service to making sure items were quickly delivered to our rooms, from helping us find delicious local eateries, to printing out documents for us at no charge; very impressive. The hotel rooms are very clean and comfortable and surprisingly very quiet! The library, wine bar, eclectic décor, and comfortable seating areas in the hotel give it a hip, chic vibe which fits the area very well. There was a grocery store, some shops, and many restaurants within walking distance so it was also very convenient, but off the beaten path just enough to get a quiet night’s sleep. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Katrina,

We are blown away by your review and we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to Tomo, Janette and the rest of our team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon...
Fullerton, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

It's late on a Friday night in NYC lower manhattan and the event I am at is coming to an end. I have no hotel yet. Using my iPhone app I discover Gild Hall only a few blocks from where I'm at.

You know those discoveries in life where you by happenstance come across a remarkable great find? A treasure of a place or location that you probably never would have found except for unusual circumstances. Well Gild Hall for me is just such a place.

I knew as soon as I walked in it was special. You could feel it. Wonderful ambience. And the deal they gave me for a room the next two nights was an outstanding value.

My room felt so comfy. I truly felt at home. Like a second home in NYC for me. The bed was excellent and I fell into a deep restful sleep; unusual for a hotel bed in my experience.

The hotel's attributes are many; beautiful lobby, restaurant, wine lounge, and bar. The room decor, especially the bathroom with its frosted glass door, were great. I think Gild Hall offers tremendous value, even at their full rate.

What I liked most was how they integrated a great Library from the lobby all the way up into the 2nd floor wine lounge.

The staff are excellent, professional, and on top of everything.

For me Gild Hall is now my latest Treasure Find and I truly hope to have a chance soon to go back to NYC just so I can stay there!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Erik,

What an amazing review. Thank you very much! Please come back soon...

Your friends at Gild Hall