“Fantastic Hotel”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #34 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at Gild Hall for 5 nights over new year and I have to say that the hotel is fantastic. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is really quirky and the rooms are very large for NY, very clean and with a spacious bathroom. The hotel is very close to the subway, ground zero, century 21 etc so although its away from the main hustle and bustle of NY everything is still really accessible. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel S
Scott K, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Rachel,

We are so thrilled to hear such a wonderful comment about our staff and the hotel.
Come back soon...

Warmest regards,
Bjoern Blaha
Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at Gild Hall in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Our apartment in the Seaport has been under repair and so we were hotel-bound for all of December and the first part of January. As residents of Seaport/Financial District we have a good handle on the hotels in our neighborhood since we frequently have friends and family come to town and ask about places near our apartment to stay. Going forward this is the only hotel I will recommend. The quality of the staff we've met - David, Janette, Tomo, Robert, Sandy - is simply outstanding and the rooms are impeccably clean. Housekeeping is also very friendly and professional. As a frequent business traveler I've stayed in hotels from Chicago to LA, Las Vegas, Dublin, Montreal, etc. and this ranks among the best hotel experiences I've ever had.

Room Tip: New York City can be disconcertingly loud for visitors, which makes this hotel very special and unus...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin D

Dear Kevin,

Thank you so much for your raving review. The entire team worked so diligently during Hurricane Sandy and its aftermath that it makes us very proud to get such recognition from our valued guests. Gild Hall always has been and continuous to be extremely committed to its neighborhood. We hope your apartment will be fixed up soon.

Your friends at Gild Hall…
Bjoern Blaha
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My organization holds several large meetings per year in the financial district and we always book accommodations for all of our attendees at Gild Hall. We do this for several reasons: (1) The sales staff are incredibly helpful, especially when having to make last minute adjustments; (2) The hotel itself is beautiful with a great restaurant and convenient location - all of our attendees specifically ask if we are still booking at Gild Hall and are excited when we say yes; (3) the rates for the hotel are extremely competitive and Gild Hall offers group rates when making several bookings. I simply can't recommend Gild Hall highly enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was pretty impressed with the Gild Hall on my last visit, so it set a standard for this visit.

Though not awful it's fair to say it didn't live up to my original visit. My room was markedly smaller, maybe I was unknowingly upgraded last time. To be clear by NY standards it was still acceptable, it was larger than other rooms I have stayed in this price brackets. It seemed the cleaner was a little lax this time. There was a mark on the top of the duvet and one of the bath towels had quite a few marks. They both appeared to have been laundered but nobody had noticed that they weren't quite clean. I complained about the towel but decided to let the duvet slide.

The service on the front desk and from the bell guys is always friendly and helpful.

The breakfast room service didn't have a menu available and had to be ordered in the morning which put me off. It all seemed to be rather suffering from teething troubles.

There seemed to be no meaningful Room Service outside of restaurant hours which surely defeats the point. Getting back to my hotel at about midnight, I was unable to get any food or a recommendation for take out. Leaving me going to bed hungry.

The most troublesome experience was the restaurant, Felice which had opened since my last visit. It had been relocated upstairs to the wine bar as the downstairs space was hired out for a wall st. party. The to me seemed like an average middle of the range menu, but then maybe I've been spoilt here in Europe. I had a Burrata Toast (Crostone ?) with Aubergine(Eggplant) and Courgette (Zuchini), which was fine, there wasn't a great amount of Cheese and it could have had more taste. Then I was asked to order my main as the kitchen was closing (before 9:30), I dutifully ordered a Ragu. A few minutes later the waiter came back and let me know that the kitchen had actually closed! He was very apologetic and clearly just seemed rather helpless.

I was speechless for a moment and then let him know this just wasn't acceptable. I had a glass of wine and half a starter and wasn't prepared to pay for that and then seek the remainder of my meal elsewhere. He went away to consult with the manager and a while later the manager came back to apologise and said he'd resolved it and I would have my meal. When it arrived it was decent, nothing mind blowing but perfectly nice. I had another glass of wine and some cake which both ended up being on the house to apologise for the earlier issue.

So though they were very sweet and they resolved the issue it wasn't a positive experience. Average food, and needing to complain just left a bitter taste.

Overall this is still a well priced option in downtown NY, with a decent FiDi location if you need to be near Wall St or World Trade Center, and nice staff, it just needs to pick up it's game. Improvements in Room Service, Restaurant and Cleanliness would put this back to a 4 or 5 rating.

Room Tip: One of the higher floors would be good if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank beckyblondon
Scott K, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for your review. Please contact me directly so we can discuss your stay in detail.
Thank you...

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times and always found the staff helpful and accommodating. Located near several subway lines, it's convenient to get around and quiet at night due to its neighborhood location. Quirky decor due to a glass wall between the room and the bathroom, but for solo or couple stays it's not a problem. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean.

Room Tip: Every room I've stayed in has been comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Needed a place in the financial district and we discovered Gild Hall. A neat place. The room is OK, not a wow, but the best thing about the hotel is Felice-the wine bar and small restaurant off the lobby. Great selection of Italian wines, creative cocktails and good food. What more is there.

Room Tip: For us it was the price paid for the room. We were able to secure a $275 a night room rate through t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott K, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for your kind comment. We are glad you enjoyed our restaurant Felice and our wine bar La Soffitta. Come back soon...

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed for a weekend with my friends. Great value for a hotel in the financial district and a great spot if you spend your time split between manhattan and Brooklyn. Rooms are decent sized for NYC hotel and the staff were so friendly. Will definitely make this my hotel of choice to stay at in the future - there are so many overpriced and drab hotels in NYC so it was a pleasant surprise when I stayed at the Gild Hall.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Birdfaced

Thank you for your great comment. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon...