“A less successful second visit”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #36 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“A less successful second visit”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was pretty impressed with the Gild Hall on my last visit, so it set a standard for this visit.

Though not awful it's fair to say it didn't live up to my original visit. My room was markedly smaller, maybe I was unknowingly upgraded last time. To be clear by NY standards it was still acceptable, it was larger than other rooms I have stayed in this price brackets. It seemed the cleaner was a little lax this time. There was a mark on the top of the duvet and one of the bath towels had quite a few marks. They both appeared to have been laundered but nobody had noticed that they weren't quite clean. I complained about the towel but decided to let the duvet slide.

The service on the front desk and from the bell guys is always friendly and helpful.

The breakfast room service didn't have a menu available and had to be ordered in the morning which put me off. It all seemed to be rather suffering from teething troubles.

There seemed to be no meaningful Room Service outside of restaurant hours which surely defeats the point. Getting back to my hotel at about midnight, I was unable to get any food or a recommendation for take out. Leaving me going to bed hungry.

The most troublesome experience was the restaurant, Felice which had opened since my last visit. It had been relocated upstairs to the wine bar as the downstairs space was hired out for a wall st. party. The to me seemed like an average middle of the range menu, but then maybe I've been spoilt here in Europe. I had a Burrata Toast (Crostone ?) with Aubergine(Eggplant) and Courgette (Zuchini), which was fine, there wasn't a great amount of Cheese and it could have had more taste. Then I was asked to order my main as the kitchen was closing (before 9:30), I dutifully ordered a Ragu. A few minutes later the waiter came back and let me know that the kitchen had actually closed! He was very apologetic and clearly just seemed rather helpless.

I was speechless for a moment and then let him know this just wasn't acceptable. I had a glass of wine and half a starter and wasn't prepared to pay for that and then seek the remainder of my meal elsewhere. He went away to consult with the manager and a while later the manager came back to apologise and said he'd resolved it and I would have my meal. When it arrived it was decent, nothing mind blowing but perfectly nice. I had another glass of wine and some cake which both ended up being on the house to apologise for the earlier issue.

So though they were very sweet and they resolved the issue it wasn't a positive experience. Average food, and needing to complain just left a bitter taste.

Overall this is still a well priced option in downtown NY, with a decent FiDi location if you need to be near Wall St or World Trade Center, and nice staff, it just needs to pick up it's game. Improvements in Room Service, Restaurant and Cleanliness would put this back to a 4 or 5 rating.

Room Tip: One of the higher floors would be good if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank beckyblondon
Scott K, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. Please contact me directly so we can discuss your stay in detail.
Thank you...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times and always found the staff helpful and accommodating. Located near several subway lines, it's convenient to get around and quiet at night due to its neighborhood location. Quirky decor due to a glass wall between the room and the bathroom, but for solo or couple stays it's not a problem. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean.

Room Tip: Every room I've stayed in has been comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Needed a place in the financial district and we discovered Gild Hall. A neat place. The room is OK, not a wow, but the best thing about the hotel is Felice-the wine bar and small restaurant off the lobby. Great selection of Italian wines, creative cocktails and good food. What more is there.

Room Tip: For us it was the price paid for the room. We were able to secure a $275 a night room rate through t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott K, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind comment. We are glad you enjoyed our restaurant Felice and our wine bar La Soffitta. Come back soon...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed for a weekend with my friends. Great value for a hotel in the financial district and a great spot if you spend your time split between manhattan and Brooklyn. Rooms are decent sized for NYC hotel and the staff were so friendly. Will definitely make this my hotel of choice to stay at in the future - there are so many overpriced and drab hotels in NYC so it was a pleasant surprise when I stayed at the Gild Hall.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Birdfaced
Thank you for your great comment. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon...
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have to say it is, by far, the most interesting hotel I've ever stayed at. I was looking for a 4-star reasonably priced hotel around the downtown area so I could quickly shuttle to Brooklyn at 6:30am on a Saturday morning for the Rock 'N Roll Brooklyn 10K. And this is actually one of the hotels I was looking at because I heard good things about it. And when I did the Hotwire Super Secret hotel booking I was able to get a good deal for this hotel. It is pretty much in the middle of the busy and dirty downtown/financial district area but it's location is great! It is about half a block from the Fulton St subway station, it's a few streets away from Leo's bagel (yum!), and it's so close to Wall St and it is like a block or 2 away form South Street. Oh yeah, the WTC is probably a block away. It is in a sweet corner between Platt and Gold so it is not awfully busy. It looks like other brown buildings around it so it can be easily missed but the flag can help spot it. The doormen and reception desk people are very nice and accommodating and helpful. The lobby has that nice modernized sitting area with "animal skin" as carpet (cool!) and it has it's own pub area too. The elevator is room key activated because of the pub area and the 2nd floor library/private party area, so that only guests can access the hotel room floors. As for the 2nd floor library, it has a lot of books around, a nice sitting area, and actually a bar area. The room that I got was the regular king room on the 5th floor. It is SMALL. Pretty much looked like a loft. The bathroom is literally 5 steps from the bed and though the sink and bath tub and bathroom decor are nice and new the door is frosted glass and you can see whoever is in the bathroom. So my best friend and I when we each use the bathroom had to make sure the lights are off so the other cannot see the inside of the bathroom. The room decor is modernized country home-- it has antler looking chandelier and the bed board is this padded leather board and the cabinets and tables are this rustic-brown color scheme. It is very MODERN. The housekeepers are very good. They keep the room clean and smell clean. I also like how fast they are to get us a taxi when we needed it. Overall, my experience is good. It's a nice retreat after being outside in the busy financial district area.

Room Tip: If you're going to book this hotel through sites like hotwire, priceline, and the like make sure...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I live in New York and checked into the Gild Hall after being displaced as a result of Hurricane Sandy. After staying here for nearly two weeks, I can't say enough good things about this place. The hotel, from top to bottom, is beautiful and modern. The restaurant Felice (which is a huge improvement from its predecessor, the Libertine), wine bar on the second floor (the whiskey cocktails are amazing), and the pristine rooms are sophisticated without being pretentious. The staff - Scott Koster the general manager, Tomo, David and Caitlin, the assistant managers - have been nothing short of amazing. Their care and attention have made my husband and I feel so at home during an otherwise trying time, and we couldn't be more grateful. We are now fans of the Gild Hall for life and look forward to coming here for dinner and drinks in the future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosa H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2012

this is not an easy hotel to find in the financial district, especially on foot from the subway. deserted late at night down there and tons of construction. small bar on site but not very appealing. harry's pizza bar is next door, which is a plus.
if you have business downtown this is a decent spot. nice modern rooms and mine was reasonably spacious. a bit of a trek if you've got business elsewhere in the city but with some very low rates over the summer it was worth it for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business