“Had a great stay at Gild Hall”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #33 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Gild Hall this past Aug. 2011! My son lives accross the street, so it worked out perfect for us. The hotel was very clean, bed comfortable, and and the decor was real trendy. It does not have your typical drawer space for clothing, but what they did have was plenty for the two of us over a weekend. Why stay at a Holiday Inn when you can stay at a Thompson property for the same money!They even have a complimentary umbrella in the closet to use if there is rain during your stay! We kept checking their rates and found a very good rate that fit our budget...also a free "welcome" drink coupon was included! Yes, it may be quiet, which was great for us, but they have the South Seaport only a few block away which was great to just tool around! We loved it, and would stay again! Kathy Liberatore

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 1, 2011

The hotel is very quaint and a very high end boutique hotel. The rooms are designed fabulously. The service is fantastic. I rate it 5 stars and highly recommend the Thompson hotels as a fantastic value.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I spent a week at the Gild Hall in Mid-September whilst on business in New York.
The Gild is a nice enough hotel, and boutique in style.
On the plus side it is in a quiet location and very close to the the heart of the financial district.
On the negative, given how close it is to Wall St. as a business base the rooms let it down.
I needed to work in the evenings, and ended up sitting on the bed as the desk (if you can call it that) provided was totally useles; it's only about 18 inchs wide and already clutered with a lamp and drinks trap before I tried to squeeze a laptop in only to find the slot to slide my knees under the desk was in a corner, directly below the lamp. OK I could have shifted the lamp and other bits, but there was no where to shift them too. Frustrating.
The iPod docking station in my room was broken too.
Other than that a typical NY hotel room; on the small size and dark (something else I don't like).

OK for a short break, but don't expect to do any work in comfort in an evening.

If you do stay, there's a good dry cleaner 50 yards down Platt St. who do a next day service (dry cleaning & laudry) for a fraction of the cost of the hotel

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Bostin1967
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stylish and trying but doesn't live up to the Thomson Chain brand and is on the lower end of boutique hotels. No room service on the weekends.....carpetting in the rooms needs cleaning (this on the basis of two rooms)....the room bathrooms have a door facing the bed and the entire entrance (wall and door) of the bathroom is transparent - even if you are travelling with a very close companion, this becomes frankly weird.

No fan in the bathroom (so a long shower fills the room with steam), ventilation uneven in the room (super cold or no air at all)....no coffee maker in the room, and your closet light is connected to the neighbors - so when you walk by the closet you and their light goes on. They walk by their closet, your light goes on! Digital signal on the television (not that you are in NYC to watch tv but....) is slow and uneven.

Limited food in the area - remember it's the financial district - but it's close to the Seaport which is a really nice part of the city, fewer tourists and calmer, quieter etc. On the positive side it's quiet and the staff is super helpful.

Like this hotel enough but the weird bathroom issue is enough to have me stay away. Boutique hotel? At between 325.00 a night they need to do better.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dear velojmp,
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us; we love hearing from our guests. We value your feedback and take each comment into serious consideration as we persistently strive to improve our services to accommodate the needs and desires of our beloved patrons.

We thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We pride ourselves on our superb customer service and we assure you that our staff members are able to address any concern that may arise during your stay. As well, we are always standing by to offer great food and event recommendations or transit information to make your stay seamless and enjoyable.

Again, thank you for sharing your review with us. We hope to have the privilege of serving you again upon your return to New York.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

First of all, the entrance to this hotel is on Platt, not Gold - we definitely did frustrating laps of NYC after exhausting Gold Street as the flags on the hotel emphasize the Thomson Chain rather than Gild Hall itself.

That being said, once we found the hotel our overall experience was great - the gentlemen at the front desk and dealing with the cars were all exceptionally polite and friendly. For example, When we asked for a map, they offered to recommend sites or routes to walk around.

Our room itself was nice - very masculine finishes with a leather headboard with buckle details and a black/grey theme in bathroom.

My two main gripes - the bathroom, while well appointed had a few minor frustrations. First, there is no bathroom fan. This can be less than ideal for showering as it results in an overly steamy bathroom but also, and this might seem funny, but there is a certain degree of privacy afforded by the bathroom fan. Especially when the bathroom and the 'living space' is less than 5 feet away from one another. The bathroom door itself also didn't close very well and had 'ribbed' glass so my fiance laughed that he could see me through it. Finally, the fancy design of the shelves didn't really allow toiletry bags to fit properly and the sink was a pedestal design which didn't help with storage either.

Secondly, for a rather refined hotel, the connecting restaurant, Libertine, was a major disappointment. We received a voucher for 20% off and even so felt we grossly overpaid for substandard food. Several things we asked for were unavailable that evening, including french fries and a few appetizers. Because we were on a 'splurge trip' we got dessert despite a fairly disappointing meal and the sorbets were half melted, which our server pointed out by saying 'yeah they are kind of melted but you have spoons..." The restaurant also felt fairly run down - the sticky bar feeling that I associate with university days rather than a NYC hotel.

Overall, would stay there again happily if I planned my meals better beforehand. It didn't help that we stayed in the financial district on a stat holiday so everything was closed in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swtpeaz
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Dear swtpeaz,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Gild Hall. Your feedback is invaluable to the improvement of our service and accommodations, and we appreciate the helpful comments you provided. We are grateful to know that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to have the privilege of serving you again upon your next visit.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Me and my girlfriend visited New York City last year for the Eminem and Jay-Z concert at the new Yankee Stadium in September of 2010. We looked up on the internet which hotel to stay in the city. My girlfriend picked Gild Hall because she thought it must be nice if it was located in "Financial District". I was skeptical but she was right! The great service started as soon as the cab pulled up at the front entrance of the hotel. Check in was fast and simple as if they new it was us as when the cab pulled up. The hotel manager, Benjamin Chan (if i remember correctly) knew what he was doing. He knew all the places to get the NEW YORK FOOD that locals rave about, even restaurants in Queens. Everyone was professional just the way i like it. NICELY DRESSED and courteous. Pretty much everyone was in a suit and tie and NOT sloppy. That's one of my pet peeves. You can't just have a nice suit (especially one that doesn't fit) but you also have to look good!. Nicely decorated rooms,very clean and everything was operable. Actually one of the elevator went out of service as my girlfriend and I were going to Megu(which recommend if you want the best quality of beef) but on our way back to the hotel, it was already fixed! I was in the Marines for four years and now I'm a successful designer and I worked hard my whole life; I want what I spend to be worth it and everything perfect. Gild hall did the job and I recommend it to anyone who knows and appreciates quality.

Note: When we headed out to go to the concert(which was AWESOME!), my girlfriend wanted to experience the NYC subway system. Again, the manager came to the rescue! He gave us the best way to get to the stadium with added information on the area and how the subway works!

Room Tip: We had a room near the top which was really high and cool when looking out the window.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Designers101

Dear Designers101,
Thank you for the wonderful review of your stay at Gild Hall. Superb service and comfort are our top priorities, and we are pleased that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here for one night on September 11. This hotel is in a great spot situated in a quiet area. I had a great night sleep (which is almost unheard of in NYC). My room was well appointed but a typical small, cozy NYC hotel room. The bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. While I didn't go to the bar it appeared to be a very hip and happening spot. I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: High floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Dear TravelMamma07,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Gild Hall; we love hearing from our guests. We are grateful to know that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to have the privilege of serving you again upon your next visit.