“Travelers Beware -- BED BUGS!!”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #274 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Travelers Beware -- BED BUGS!!”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Within 5 minutes of checking in to my room, I found a bed bug hiding under a pillow. This place is registered on the bed bug registry so I was cautious when checking in. I immediately requested another room and was transferred into another comparable room. No upgrade, no discount, just another room. I'd recommend not staying here unless you have lots of $$$ to possibly eradicate bed bugs from your home. BEWARE, BED BUGS ARE PRICEY!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
17 Thank SFJohnny01
GuestResponse, Public Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Due to the disturbing reappearance of bed bugs in hotels, offices, theaters and other public place throughout New York City, the New Yorker Hotel maintains a proactive pest control protocol.  The New Yorker Hotel employs a pest management company with a proven expertise that is retained, on site, to maintain a proactive daily operation to make sure that our hotel remains pest free, including remaining free of bed bugs.  You may be assured that our Housekeeping Director works very closely with that company to make sure that our guests enjoy their stay in a safe, healthy and comfortable environment.

Eric Bryant
The New Yorker Hotel
ebryant@nyhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,255)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
cork
Reviewed January 15, 2011

myself and some friends visit newyork every november to enjoy the sights and to do some shopping a visit to newyork wouldnt be the same without staying at the newyorker its a home away from home! we just love it the staff are great and very helpfull espically tony on front desk! last november we made the terrible mistake of booking the hotel on rooms net.com we had paid for our intire stay before we arrived in newyork when we checked in at the hotel we were imformed that our rooms had been cancelled as no money was received from rooms net even though we had paid them in full 8 weeks before travelling! we were so lucky to be looked after by tony he couldnt be more helpfull he gave us 2 more rooms at a reduced rate which we were very gratefull for! it was a bad start to our holiday but it didnt stop us enjoying newyork we are returning to newyork againn this november and the newyorker of course! you wont be disappointed with the newyorker its definetly a home away from home!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank CorkClodagh
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed January 15, 2011

The hotel is probably one of the best deals for the location alone. You're a short walk away to Times Square, Rockefeller, and tons of shopping.

We traveled with our 20 lb dog who requires a very small kennel when we're gone. We got to our room, and there was barely enough space for my fiance, myself, and our 2 bags. Luckily the closet was almost like a walk in, so we put the kennel in the closet and left the door of the closet open. Our view also left something to be desired - it was of another hotel room window. If you go to this hotel and have space issues, I would recommend that you request as large of a room as possible when you book. I understand room sizes are different in NYC, but it was borderline uncomfortable and claustrophobic. Had we been staying more than 1 night I would have requested a larger room.

The doormen and valets were probably the most friendly and polite individuals that I have ever met at a hotel. I was pleasantly surprised, and they were most helpful with directions and restaurant/bar suggestions, and they were not pushy for tips (though I would suggest that you do tip). The staff overall were very pleasant, especially considering that they were working during the holidays.

Overall, the hotel was clean (a true surprise because it is an older hotel, and pet friendly), the staff was friendly, and the location couldn't be beat. Not to mention, valet parking was only $30 for 26 hours.

Downsides: The small room, the view, the hard beds (however, bedbug free!), the scratchy sheets, and the lack of anywhere for my dog to do her business. We eventually find a pile of mulch outside of Macy's, but I wouldn't walk there alone at night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MayHee
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stay at the New Yorker frequently (1-2 weeks per month) for business.

The positives: It is convenient location if you travel through Penn Station, as I take the Acela from Boston and it is right across the street. The rooms are clean and of a decent size, and the prices usually can't be beat for comparable room quality for NYC. They recently redid their gym on the basement floor, and it is well above average in terms of size and quality of equipment compared to most hotel gyms, with personal TVs on all the cardio equipment. My company rate means I get free continental breakfast on the 39th floor and great view of NYC from there, and everyone gets free wifi throughout the hotel which is always nice.

The negatives: The neighborhood itself is not great by NYC standards (8th ave and 34th St.) as the restaurants and bars in the area are a bit dull. I sometimes have to wait in a long line to check in, and although I have always been treated nicely, I have seen some gruff service to other people at the front desk. It is more of a tourist hotel, so lobby can be hectic and noisy. The hallways are carpeted in an awful brown rug, not that I really care, but has a drab look about it. The bathrooms are outfitted with an old style bathtub and sink, the water temperature in the shower is unpredictable, and there isn't much room to spread out your toiletries above the sink. As a business traveller, I'm big on getting points, and the hotel is part of Wyndham Rewards, which isn't great as their properties in general don't compare even close to Hilton or Marriott.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We have just returned from a stay in the New Yorker and it was great. We were a bit apprehensive after reading the review about the attempted mugging/robbery but we need't have worried, we were upgraded on arrival and checked in within minutes. They are very safety oriented and you have to show your key card before you are allowed onto the elevators and this made me feel totally safe. I only have one issue with the room and that was the air conditioning and bathroom - the bathroom was freezing and had no heating, and the air conditioning / heating only heated one side of the room at first then after a while the whole room warmed up. Apart from that there was free internet which worked great, the bed was comfortable and the room had two queen beds and a great layout. As a smoker (I know that's bad!) I went outside to have a smoke and one night there was a man begging for money which several gave but that still wasn't enough for him and he was cursing etc, even after he had money and in the end someone told the hotel security and he dealt with him swiftly and we never had any problems after that. We did eat at the Tick Tock Diner and had a lovely meal however we were put off eating in there again after we had the bill and the waiter asked for a tip in excess of 30% I wouldn't have minded but even the check stated that the tip should be approx 15%. I would have paid 50% tip if the service had have been excellent but for a over-eager waiter to demand 30% put me right off, this wasn't the diner's fault and we took take-outs most evenings from here as the food was great.
Anyway back to the hotel, this was a great hotel and would return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chipsntoastie
Sherwood Park
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I was in New York for the NRF show and to spend some time visiting the sights. This hotel was the perfect location in Manhattan. The room was nice and updated but there were still touches of the hotel's age. The bathroom was a below par - it was like a freezer and the shower was either screaming hot or frosty cold. Based on the room and location of this hotel I would highly recommend this to anyone. The highlights were:
Location: It is a block from Penn station if you want to take the subway around Manhattan and is close enough to walk any of the north side attractions like Central Park or Times Square.
Sleep Quality: the beds were new and pretty comfortable and made for a great sleep. The blinds close tightly so you can black out the room.
Service: the staff was very helpful with all of our requests.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2011

This hotel is perfectly placed for the main Manhattan attractions, walking distance to most things including Macy's and MSG. There was also a subway station right outside. All of the staff were friendly and helpful and took an interest in who we were rather than just another guest. Anyone who stays here must go to the Tick Tock Diner as well which is great fun and really adds a good selling point to the hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple