“Near attractions, old hotel”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #276 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Florida
“Near attractions, old hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

The hotel was right by Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens. It was about 10 blocks from Times Square (easy walking). The hotel is old and our room was very small. New beds, central ac/heat, and flat screen tv. The tub and tile in the bathoom was old and simply painted over. If you don't mind a smaller room I would recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,177)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

Everything was a 10 about this hotel. Just couple blocks from Penn Station, it wasn't a far walk from Times Square, either. Very clean, very well run, very comfortable. Diner off lobby made breakfast easy. Price was about $300 nightly, but that's New York. It's reasonable compared to other hotels. A definite recommendation and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

One thing you cant fault this hotel on is its location. It is on the same street as Macy's and the Empire State Building, opposite Madison Square Gardens and just 7 blocks from Tmes Square. Opposite is a local chemist/convenience store which is very useful for picking up bottles of drink or any last minute toiletries (as rooms to not have drink making facilities). The tick tock diner attached to the Hotel was nice but was a little pricey and the service was not fantatic.

One big fault however was the size of the rooms and noise levels. The sound of the next room flushing their toilet was so loud it felt like it was in the same room as us and even though we were on the 29th floor we could still hear the street outside. The rooms were very small, there was about 2 feet of room around 2 sides of the bed and the toilet was about 6 foot from the bed on the other side. WIth 2 suitcases and 2 hand luggage bags on the floor there was alot of climbing over things.

We were given a free upgrade from a Metro Room to a View Room (due to early check in which they happily accommodated) but the view was mainly of the hotel on the otherside of the road and not of Manhattan. We would have been very dissapointed if we had paid for a View Room.

If like us you are going to sightsee and will just be sleeping in the hotel rather than spending any considerable time there then it is an adequate hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
GuestResponse, Guest Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
While we're glad you appreciated our location, we apologize your stay at The New Yorker Hotel did not meet your expectations with respect to the noise and room size. Unfortunately, this is common in New York as their is a premium on space and it is always a bustling place.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to be able to better serve you in the future given the opportunity.

Glenn Merone
Front Office Manager
212-244-0719 x7793
gmerone@nyhotel.com
ackworth, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

this hotel is without doubt a great art deco hotel in a great location in midtown manhatten
the room we got was very large with 2 bathrooms
but unfortunatly for me i was with my wife and daughter and still had to wait to use one of them
the room number was ?????? sorry i cannot give this away as i will book again and will request this room
it is nice to go to a hotel where every member of staff was helpful
the tick tock diner which is attached to the hotel had a good range of food at a very good price
i would reccomend this hotel to anyone going to new york and would use it again
the only down side is that there is no facility in the room to make a drink but the diner is open 24/7 and drinks can be taken up to the room

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
GuestResponse, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Thank you for the endorsement, ukconchords! We're glad you had a good time in New York. Please do come and stay with us again soon, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Eric Bryant, E-Commerce Manager
The New Yorker Hotel
ebryant@nyhotel.com
Vancouver BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

In summary we enjoyed our stay at the New Yorker Hotel. Room was very small and limited cupboard space to put clothes for 2 persons but overall a very modern room and extremely comfortable bed with high quality bedding. We heard no one's voices in neighbouring rooms only heard people in hallway as they passed the room but no big deal. Nice flat screen TV on wall mounted in front of bed made nighttime watching TV comfortable. We opened the window on our 23rd floor room to get breeze rather than running AC all the time. Bathroom very small with very little space to leave toiletries but overall everything was operational with good shower pressure albeit the temperature never got too hot so I just ran the hot water which was warm enough for our showers. Nice towels and replenished soaps, lotions, shampoos mid way through our stay. Location of hotel is just around corner of the 34th St./Penn Station Subway stop and across road from Pennsylvania Main Rail station. Macy's is 2 large blocks away and Empire state Building is 3 large blocks away but all walkable. We walked lots and lots and used the 1 week Metro pass costing just $27 which was a great value. Times Square is 1 metro stop away and was awesome too. The Tick Tock Diner is located directly next door to hotel which was a great diner to catch daily breakfasts and lunches at and they are open 24 hours/day. Hotel doesn't offer room service but most local restaurants will deliver to your room if you want to stay in now and again. I do recommend the New Yorker as I do think it offers good value for the money due to cleanliness of rooms, bed, location and service of the staff.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the compliment, Barblovestotravel! Please do come and stay with us again soon, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Eric Bryant, E-Commerce Manager
The New Yorker Hotel
sheffield uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

On arrival the hotel has a very impressive foyer thats always buzzing with people 24/7. We stayed in a tower suite - room 3809. This suite has a terrace with fantastic views of the Manhattan skyline including the empire state building and the chyrsler building. The suite is a decent size with seperate sitting and sleeping areas. The marble bathroom is nice with decent water pressure in the shower! My only gripes about this place is that some of the staff are a little on the rude side. Having travelled to the states before, I expected the warm ''have a nice day'' attitude I have previously experienced. Not so in this hotel!!! be warned. The staff in the Tick Tock diner arn't that great either. I was also dissapointed to discover that the sky lounge open to suite residents for breakfast on the 39th floor was closed for two of the days were there, this is when we experienced the Tick Tock diner staff! When we did use the sky lounge the breakfast was nice - good bagels and coffee!! and a fab city skyline view make this a special affair. Aside to this the hotel is great with all the art deco elegance and charm I hoped for when I booked it. We had a great time in NYC easily filing the four days we stayed there.

1 Thank dicky1980SheffieldUk
Kansas City, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

I stayed at the New Yorker Hotel on business but often travel to New York for leisure as well. The hotel is not very close to Times Square and is actually in a very well lived area. The street is very busy and pretty noisy. The entrance was large and the initial staff were very pleasant and helpful. Check in was uneventful and I made it to my room fairly easily.

The room represents the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It is obviously a very old hotel and many of the doors looked to be original. While the bedroom and bathroom were small they were clean and well kept. The bed was fairly comfortable and the linens were clean and well maintained. The air conditioning was very, very cold and I found that I actually had to turn the unit off. One of my colleagues did not have the same experience and remarked that his room was constantly hot.

The bathroom is really tight on space as well. You have a pedestal sink and a small glass ledge to place any items on. The shower has a lot of pressure but I found that the temperature seems to fluctuate wildly on its own. I had the same comment from one of my coworkers. One second it was hot, then it was cold, and then it was way hot.

We did have a chance to use the concierge service which was interesting. The lady was obviously stressed out and wasn't dealing with it very well. We waited for about 15 minutes to be acknowledged while she shuffled phone calls. We listened as she started arguing with a person over the phone. She stated "you sure you talking to me" and was just extremely rude and loud. When we finally had her attention she wasn't very helpful and kept with the attitude of someone who was being bothered by our restaurant request. We finally decided that we could do better on our own. When we left I remarked to my colleague that going to the concierge was not very helpful. Evidently she heard this and started yelling at me. She started in again with the "you talking to me, you got something to say, you got a problem with me". She was pretty insane so I didn't address her and we kept walking. I ignored her since she was obviously unstable and hated her job. I actually felt sorry for the people that were waiting behind us for help.

All in all, the hotel was adequate. However, I have stayed at multiple hotels in the area. The Hilton is still my favorite and I would say that this hotel is my least favorite. The concierge showdown was interesting to say the least. Why they would put someone in that position with an attitude I don't understand.

All in and all it was good for the location of the event I had to attend. However, based on the overall experience I will not stay here again and would steer friends and family away from this one.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

We apologize that your stay at The New Yorker Hotel did not meet your expectations. I am concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered.

Please, give us an opportunity to correct any possible lapse in service by e-mailing us more details regarding your stay. I know that this does not change the experience you had, but I hope that you can feel confident that we hear your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

These details will help us prevent a possible future lapse in service, as well as help address the issues you encountered. Please feel free to send me an e-mail directly at the address below and I will address them immediately.

Again, I apologize for the problems you encountered and I encourage you to please, the future, allow us to assist you by resolving any issues so we may make your stay with us enjoyable. Without your guest feedback, we cannot continue to improve our services. Thank you and we look forward to your return to the area.

Nicole Agnello
Guest Services Coordinator
The New Yorker Hotel Mgnt. Co., Inc.
481 Eighth Avenue