“Classic New York”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #277 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The New Yorker has modernized enough to remain relevant, but has retained its classic NYC glamor and charm. Easy walking distance to Time Square, the Rock, Penn, Empire State etc. Great breakfast diner on the first floor. Rooms are small (classic NYC) but amazingly quiet. Staff were all professional and friendly. I always enjoy staying in hotels that bring the local, unique experience as opposed to franchise/corporate efficiency. I will happily return to New Yorker again and again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Christopher T
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and the staff provided the level of service as expect. Please be assured your positing will be shared with our staff.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham New Yorker when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (11,926)

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Warm welcome at reception and especially Onelia Green who always with his big smile has always made ​​every effort to satisfy the customer. Information about the town and surrounding area have served me a lot and helped me a lot. Until I left it was always the same, the same smile, the same professionalism, the same love of life and is involved in the life of the hotel. Concerned customer service and especially the reputation of the New Yorker. Some other staff should emulate Onelia.

Over the counter to book tours, Suzy was also professionalism. She always found the "magic" solution for establishing a spectacle on Broadway, unblock me a place to turn Niagara Falls, rebook arrange for me a place in the taxi home I ... always concerned with smile..she was concerned if i did not have to miss again my taxi ... These little things are important to new customers like me who was for the first time in NY.

Congratulations to Onelia and Suzie, it's a real winning combination and they deserve their place in your facility and should manage teams and pass on their knowledge.

Jean-Yves Falaeo

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Jean-Yves F

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and the staff provided the level of service as expect (especially O'Neila and Suzie). Please be assured your positing will be shared with our staff.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

It was my first time staying at this property. I read some mixed reviews beforehand and felt comfortable making the selection. I requested a high floor with a nice view, 2double beds, a frig and coffee maker. I confirmed this through Expedia and with the hotel directly in that we were arriving after 9 pm.

Muhammed greeted us at the front desk. He is a delight! I explained my requests and, after checking with the manager, he upgraded us to a suite overlooking the river! Housekeeping delivered a Keurig coffee maker with a wonderful selection of coffees and teas. Our suite even had a walk-in closet! The bathroom was small, but adequate. We had more than enough lighting & mirrors in the room to get ready.

We ate most mornings at a The Tick-Tock Diner which has direct access through the hotel lobby. It was fast, friendly and good!

I will recommend this property to friends and family. Our stay was a delight! Thank you!!!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and the staff provided the level of service as expect (especially Mohammed). Please be assured your positing will be shared with our staff.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I took my daughter to NY last week. I have MS and wanted to show my daughter NY while i was walking and seeing! and I could not have picked a better hotel. There was a problem with the reservations made through an Amtrak partner but Mohammed from the front desk was AMAZING! We do alot of travelling as we live in the Middle East and have stayed in alot of hotels but Mohammed was one of the top 5 in front desk. He solved the issue and the New Yorker was better then I anticipated! The 24 hr diner tick tock is a god send - the gym is top notch for a NY hotel! lots of new equipment and spacious, the room was a perfect size and we had a fantastic view - the best part other then customer service! was the location - even with my MS we were able to walk almost everywhere! Times Square, 3 different theatres from 43rd, 45th and 50th, Macy's, Penn Station - taxi's were readily available when venturing further and the hop on hop off bus is literally across the street. I would highly recommend The New Yorker!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tamela L

Reviewed August 16, 2014

The New Yorker Hotel has become my first choice when visiting NYC from my home in Washington, DC... primarily because of its immediate proximity to Penn Station. This art deco gem was restored fairly recently, and although the rooms can be small, they are comfortable and reasonably quiet.

This visit did not get off on the right foot, however. I had booked a discounted rate for a "view" room via Expedia, and was initially given a very small room on the 24th floor with an OK view toward the Hudson River. I immediately noticed that the toilet had been clogged before my arrival and upon flushing started to overflow. I called the front desk and was told someone would be dispatched to fix the problem. 20 minutes later, no one had arrived, so I took my bags to the lobby to request another room. After a bit of a delay, I was given a larger room on the 35th floor with an Empire State Building view--very nice. But unless you plan for an early morning departure, continuing restoration work on the building starts up promptly at 8 am with jackhammers just outside my window. I had early morning commitments, so it wasn't so much a problem; but had I been there for pleasure, expecting a leisurely morning, I would have been bothered very much.

But the things that matter most are very good: comfortable beds, bath/shower with reliable pressure/hot water, cable TV, friendly staff--makes you forget you're in NY.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the outside restoration construction; it starts up early in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Ingmar53

Dear valued guest,

I would like to investigate your reservation but do not have your contact information. Please email me at brauch@nyhotel.com and reference your Trip Advisor posting.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

We had two rooms on the 27th floor. The rooms were fine albeit a bit small but this is New York and everything worked. The beds were comfy and the bathroom all good. The free wifi was fine too though you had to set it regularly.
Breakfast in the Tick Tock diner worked well and there is a bar next door too.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rod S

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and our centralized location.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Me and my friend stayed here for 4 nights, back in March. The hotel looked amazing and the staff were very welcoming and friendly! There was no queue to check in and the check in process was very quick, they also upgraded us to a room with a city view, free of charge and we hadn't even requested this, which was great!
Our room was spacious and the view was absolutley amazing. We could not stop staring outside of the window as it was really that nice! The view was of the Empire State and Madison Square Garden!
This hotel is also in a great location and is central to everything. This was our first time in New York so this was great for us. 5th Avenue was a 5 min walk and if you go the opposite way, it took you to Times Square which was about 10-15 mins walking.
We only ever had to use a cab once as everything was so close by so we could walk everywhere, this is good to save money and get exercise!

The only thing that stopped me from giving this hotel a 5* rating is the concierge staff. They were horrible. They were unhepful, rude and were only interested in helping older people or families. The guy who was there was ok, but the lady (forgotton her name) was just really bad and needs to improve on her customer service skills.

Don't let that put you off though, the hotel in general is amazing and the rest of the staff are extremely nice and helpful.
They also have a tik tok diner in the hotel too which is so good and convenient! The food tastes very nice, not bad prices, good staff and if you're feeling too lazy to go somewhere far to eat, this is convenient as it is right in the hotel!

Me and my friend will be returning to this hotel next year and refuse to stay in any other hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank X O
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker while you were in New York City.

I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding your stay. Please be assured your review will be shared with the entire staff. I have provided a copy of your comments to our independent concierge company to ensure they take corrective measures.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you returning to New York City.