“A return visit nearly as good as the first”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #279 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 16, 2014

The New Yorker Hotel has become my first choice when visiting NYC from my home in Washington, DC... primarily because of its immediate proximity to Penn Station. This art deco gem was restored fairly recently, and although the rooms can be small, they are comfortable and reasonably quiet.

This visit did not get off on the right foot, however. I had booked a discounted rate for a "view" room via Expedia, and was initially given a very small room on the 24th floor with an OK view toward the Hudson River. I immediately noticed that the toilet had been clogged before my arrival and upon flushing started to overflow. I called the front desk and was told someone would be dispatched to fix the problem. 20 minutes later, no one had arrived, so I took my bags to the lobby to request another room. After a bit of a delay, I was given a larger room on the 35th floor with an Empire State Building view--very nice. But unless you plan for an early morning departure, continuing restoration work on the building starts up promptly at 8 am with jackhammers just outside my window. I had early morning commitments, so it wasn't so much a problem; but had I been there for pleasure, expecting a leisurely morning, I would have been bothered very much.

But the things that matter most are very good: comfortable beds, bath/shower with reliable pressure/hot water, cable TV, friendly staff--makes you forget you're in NY.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the outside restoration construction; it starts up early in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Ingmar53
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and the staff provided the level of service as expect. Please be assured your positing will be shared with our staff.

I would like to investigate your reservation but do not have your contact information. Please email me at brauch@nyhotel.com and reference your Trip Advisor posting.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham New Yorker when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (11,931)

Reviewed August 16, 2014

We had two rooms on the 27th floor. The rooms were fine albeit a bit small but this is New York and everything worked. The beds were comfy and the bathroom all good. The free wifi was fine too though you had to set it regularly.
Breakfast in the Tick Tock diner worked well and there is a bar next door too.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rod S

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and our centralized location.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Me and my friend stayed here for 4 nights, back in March. The hotel looked amazing and the staff were very welcoming and friendly! There was no queue to check in and the check in process was very quick, they also upgraded us to a room with a city view, free of charge and we hadn't even requested this, which was great!
Our room was spacious and the view was absolutley amazing. We could not stop staring outside of the window as it was really that nice! The view was of the Empire State and Madison Square Garden!
This hotel is also in a great location and is central to everything. This was our first time in New York so this was great for us. 5th Avenue was a 5 min walk and if you go the opposite way, it took you to Times Square which was about 10-15 mins walking.
We only ever had to use a cab once as everything was so close by so we could walk everywhere, this is good to save money and get exercise!

The only thing that stopped me from giving this hotel a 5* rating is the concierge staff. They were horrible. They were unhepful, rude and were only interested in helping older people or families. The guy who was there was ok, but the lady (forgotton her name) was just really bad and needs to improve on her customer service skills.

Don't let that put you off though, the hotel in general is amazing and the rest of the staff are extremely nice and helpful.
They also have a tik tok diner in the hotel too which is so good and convenient! The food tastes very nice, not bad prices, good staff and if you're feeling too lazy to go somewhere far to eat, this is convenient as it is right in the hotel!

Me and my friend will be returning to this hotel next year and refuse to stay in any other hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank X O
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker while you were in New York City.

I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding your stay. Please be assured your review will be shared with the entire staff. I have provided a copy of your comments to our independent concierge company to ensure they take corrective measures.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I would recommend everyone to stay at The new yorker hotel and so convenient to all the excitement,42 street, and the employees has good customer service on my next vacation that's where I'm going to stay again it's so close to shopping, restaurant, movies there so much you can do in the heart of it all

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed 12 nights at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel on Level 34 and were very happy with just about everything. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, and their smart attire added to your confidence in them.
Having a bar/restaurant and a 24-hour cafe-style facility both of which opened directly off the main lobby was most convenient. No-one could proceed beyond the lobby to the residential accommodation without showing cause which made one feel very secure.
The room was a little cramped and had no coffee/tea making facility, but was very clean, neat, quiet and comfortable and had good air-conditioning. The bathroom was a bit dated but we had all we needed.
If you are visiting New York to see all those places you have heard of and seen in movies or on TV, this hotel is a perfect location as it is in central Manhattan. We walked most places, but having Penn Station with both local and long-distance trains almost across the street enabled us to easily visit the more distant attractions. The Empire State Building, Times Square, Broadway, Madison Square Garden and Macy's are all within a short walk. The magnificent Central Park is less about 30 minutes away on foot, and we were easily able to walk to Greenwich Village and Washington Square.
Thank you to all the Wyndham New Yorker staff for adding so much to our enjoyment of New York.

Room Tip: We were on Level 34 and found it quiet. I imagine it might be noisier lower down. Ask the staff.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bill C

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights from the 1st August. We are a family of 4. A great hotel in a great location. We were on the 33rd floor over looking the hudson river and we couldn't have had a better room. We couldn't hear any noise at night and the staff from reception to security could not do enough to help you if needed. The coopers bar is very friendly, serving superb food and is a great way to end a busy day. The hotels location is excellent for sight seeing. When you go to central park don't go on the horse and carriage, go on a tour with the men who ride the bikes, they have all the knowledge past and present of the park making it far more interesting. I would recommend this hotel highly and already have done with our neighbours and we will be definitely staying here again. An absolutely fantastic hotel and staff!!!!

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Claire F

Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in March 2014.
We were greeted by a lovely receptionist. Which was very pleasant after a transatlantic flight!
We were upgraded on check in for no special reason!
You could tell hotel was old, with layers of paint,but it was clean and the decor had obviously been refreshened recently. I would return without a thought!
It was a brilliant location, and for you shoppers Macy's was walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple