“EXCELLENT! SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #274 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed here for 10 days in April 2014 I'm actually writing this review from my hotel room! I came to NYC to undergo a surgical procedure so I choose this place based on it's central proximity to everything and my surgeons office. Upon check in I didn't get the best experience to be honest, the concierge checked me in without much pleasantry and I did not get the greatest room. I went down not minutes later and the lady at the Wyndham rewards desk assisted me by changing my room to a great view of the Hudson. She stated for 10 nights she wanted me to feel comfortable. I cannot praise the security, bell hops and housekeeping staff enough. I have been treated with the utmost kindness and speedy service to any and all requests I have had. I plan to stay at the New Yorker Hotel each and every time I visit NYC in the future. Stay here people!!! 1 comment to note in some reviews are accurate, the rooms are a bit small, but they are extremely clean, they are stylish, they are renovated, and I don't think you can ask for more when visiting the city,

Room Tip: I stayed on a higher floor, I was street side but still did not get a lot of noise,, maybe because I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Dena W

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Turned up at 11am but the staff checked us in no problem as they had rooms available! The staff are lovely, they make you feel safe and welcome.

Because we'd booked through Hotwire we were entitled to two different types of room- small but with a window, or slightly bigger with no window. We were allowed to pick which type we'd like but not sure if that's always the case!

The rooms are tiny (welcome to NYC) but for just sleeping and bag storage they are perfect. Really nicely furnished and clean smart bathroom too! Worth asking if your room has a safe as some don't- however they offer a safety deposit box service at the front desk free of charge.

Our two requirements for our hotel in NYC were location and security. Regarding location, couldn't have asked for better- Central to everything and seconds from a Subway station if you want to go further a field. Regarding security, the hotel is a fortress so you'll never have any niggles in the back of your mind whilst you're off sight seeing!

Loved it and will stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank duffduffmcduff
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Pros: Right by Penn station/Madison Square Gardens makes it very useful, classic exterior
Cons: Small rooms, smelt damp, needs a refresh, shower as hot as the sun, thin walls

As an apparent four star hotel, and at the price point, this Wyndham really doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Three stars, maybe.
My room was small by American standards, could hear next door all the time, any tap that ran was as hot as the sun, the shower was a spitter that cycled between trying to burn me to death and freeze me to death and everything smelt damp - there's no extraction in the bathroom.
Check in was rushed and little detail was provided. No mention of where the lifts were, what my room number was, whether there was breakfast, how Wi-Fi worked, whether I would like help with luggage (I wouldn't, as I'm a typical Brit, but it's a standard New York hotel thing to ask).
The location was perfect for me as it's a three minute walk to Penn Station, and most of that "walk" is waiting for the lights to change. If you're in town for Madison Square Garden then, again, it's right nearby.
Oh, and the Wyndham's exterior building does have a certain cool about it - despite being covered with scaffolding at present.
New York is laden with exceptional hotels. For the sake of saving £20 I stayed here and slept fine - although there is outside noise, but that's part of the charm of a big city - as the room's curtains kept things dark. But when flying thousands of miles what's a bit of extra cash for somewhere a tad nicer? I suspect this place rakes it in on location alone, but it's not worthy of its four star badge.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank mmxbreaks
Reviewed April 26, 2014

just back from 7nights in this hotel staff wonderful hotel spotless had a problom with noise rang front desk moved to another room straight away no fuss staff cannot do enough for you wonderful location for shopping and great diner staff and food great

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Harriet G
Reviewed April 25, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
1  Thank T B
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a teacher's conference. The staff was wonderful and helpful. After the first night, the air was not working. In the morning, I went to the front desk and it was fixed by the time I got back in the afternoon. The hotel was spotless. Everything was great!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Vabroncofan
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just returned from a 3 night stay in NYC - our first. We enjoyed our stay at the New Yorker. The location is wonderful. We walked to all the sites that we wanted to see. The subway is at the next intersection, so that was very handy. Although the room was small it was neat and clean. When the 3 of us (two adults and a teenager) were trying to get ready at the same time it was noticeable how small the room was, otherwise we were really only there to sleep. There was a small dresser and a closet, plenty of storage for the 3 of us. The only thing that I would have liked was some storage in the bathroom. A pedestal sink and very small glass shelf above the sink left us storing our bathroom necessities on the table in the room. The pipes in the next room were a bit noisy but our shower was great with lots of hot water! The beds were comfortable and lots of pillows made sleeping easy. There was the typical hallway noise but our neighbors were quiet and we had no noise issues when in the room. We were on the 32nd floor and had great views out of one of the two windows. The best part of our stay was the wonderful concierge, Suzie! She was so knowledgeable, friendly and helpful! She even gave us information about where filming of a major tv show was happening so that we could see that take place. We would definitely stay again on another trip to NYC!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family