My husband and I stayed here a week with a group tour of New York City and were the first occupants of a refurbished room. The hotel is centrally located in Mid-Town within walking distance to The Empire State Building, Broadway, Times Square, Madison Square Garden, and the subway. We were very happy with the cleanliness. The room was very small with one chair, but we had a great view of The Empire State Building from our window and the bed was comfortable (pillows were a little fat for our taste). There was a large make-up mirror in the bathroom, a hair dryer, a small flat screen TV on the wall and a safe. Check-in and check-out was easy. The two hotel restaurants were adequate. There's a McDonald's across the street and lots of great food nearby (Recommend: Stage Door, Uncle Nick's, and Chef Yu).
All this being said, there were some drawbacks: lots of towels but very few towel bars (we actually went and purchased a multi-hook from K-Mart which is close-by. There was also limited counter space in the bathroom - impossible for two people to use at the same time. The closet is small and the safe is so high you have to climb on a chair to use it! There was lots of street noise - we tried to buy a sound machine, but apparently this is a foreign concept in New York City! There was no tub. The walk-in shower was nice once it was on; unfortunately you could not turn it on without being in the shower, so had to go through a freeze blast before the actual shower could take place. The sealing around the door was poor, so light from the hall came in at night. There was free coffee in the room. The first night there was free water, but it was never replaced. We stayed a week and a couple of those nights had to go foraging for towels in our floor's main linen closet because the staff never replaced them.
There were guards downstairs before you went up on the elevators. However one night we were wakened at 4am with some people screaming and running around on our floor. We just stayed in our locked room and hoped for the best - never did find out what it was all about.
We looked at some other floors that had not been renovated and they looked shabby - not sure what you'd get if you got one of those rooms.
Even with all of these things, we felt the hotel was worth staying in for the location and the cleanliness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Yorker Hotel is one of the most popular hotels in New York City. Come revel in the newly re-imagined grandeur of our historic hotel. Our newly renovated and upgraded guest rooms and suites deliver contemporary comforts that leave nothing to be desired for today’s business travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelPower, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Yorker Ramada Plaza
- Ramada New York City
- Ramada Plaza New Yorker Hotel
- New York City Ramada
- New Yorker Hotel New York
- Ramada Hotel New York