“Lovely hotel, hidden charges!”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #274 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stromness, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, hidden charges!”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel had a gorgeous view and our room was always lovely and clean. The hotel was perfectly situated which meant we were walking distance from Times Square, Empire State Building and hundreds of subway stations!! Only fault was my card was charged when we checked in without being warned and I had used a travel card so I lost $180 dollars that I wouldn't get back until I was back in the UK! We were just told they needed the card details in case we had room service etc. So use a credit card instead!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rebookoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,279)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Morrinsville, New Zealand
Reviewed April 19, 2014

At least it was in a great location on 8th ave with a short walk to Time square. Had an amaizing view of the Hudson from my room.

Being so close to Penn station if you are training to NYC its a 2 min walk and very easy.

Very tired rooms, it was like stepping back in time to the art deco era. The bath rooms are very small but it’s also NY and to be expected.
Didn’t find the check in staff that friendly or helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high and facing west towards the Hudson River. Great view out the window lying in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Three and one half stars. We were here for the first New Big East tournament. Excellent location. Lots of restaurants, bars and things to do nearby, and only a block or so to the Garden. The hotel is properly staffed, the rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable (if smallish-it is New York, after all), and the price very fair. Nothing fancy, but a good choice in this neighborhood.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We couldn't have stayed in a more convenient location, we spent 5 days at this beautiful Art Deco Hotel. To get there we took the Air Train from the Airport to Jamaica, from Jamaica to Penn St. Stn. from Penn St Stn the hotel was just across the road, it was so easy, it took us no time at all. Cheaper than a taxi and with the traffic at standstill most of the time I reckon the journey was much quicker. Everything fell into place. When we arrived at the hotel I wanted to take my camera out as soon as we entered through the revolving doors, big huge chandelier in the central foyer, the Art Deco interior was lovingly restored where possible, I was so pleased that Bobby at DialAflight had recommended this hotel, it was like being on a set of a movie, such as Ghost Busters or on the set of an American series I watched last year called 'The Drake'. Staying Mid Town was a fantastic location for site seeing, you either went Uptown , Downtown or stayed Midtown My daughter and I were given a huge twin room with a great view, 2 queen size beds, a seating area, a walk-in wardrobe each, huge flat screen TV and a bathroom with a bath & shower, it was massive.. It was not what we expected at all, as some reviews had warned us of how small most of the hotel rooms were in New York, I guess we got lucky. I would def. stay at this hotel again, much better than some of the modern minimalist boutique style hotels I've stayed in this was warmer and cosier. The Helicopter ride is a must too I recommend HeliNY.com. Pier 6 Downtown. It was a lovely clear blue sky on that day, so we decided to do the Helicopter ride last minute, we managed to get there just before door closure and got the last flight of the day at a discount, It was awesome, we got some great camera shots too. One last thing, make time to catch a show on Broadway, we happened to be passing the Neil Simon Theatre one morning and saw a few people queuing outside for tickets to see the brilliant Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle & Breaking Bad fame) in the hit 'All The Way' 15minutes later we had tickets in hand, he was brilliant as usual, what a fantastic end to our fantastic New York trip, we couldn't believe our luck :)

Room Tip: Email them before arrival req a room with a view, we ended up with a suite
Green Features: Great Eco friendly practices.. Energy efficient light bulbs, linen re use programme although they did change our towels one morning when we hadn't left them in the bath. Recycled packaging on toiletries
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank tigerlovett
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Maybe because I booked through Priceline and didn't pay that much for a NYC hotel room, I'd say this 4-star hotel is below my expectation. Yes, I know, this is NYC, and I did stay very close to Time Square, but this doesn't mean that a 4-star hotel can work like that. The room is basically old, small, smelly and it really looks just like an at most 3-star hotel room at many other places around the world. Anyways:

Pros: very good location, just minutes walking to Time Square; easy access to subway because there are 3 or 4 subway entrances at the intersection where the hotel is located; many dining choices (but not too decent) all around - Starbucks, McDonald's and more; also very close to Penn Station where we took train to here from DC; I loved their free printing service for airline boarding passes; free WiFi access if you don't mind the bandwidth (2MB is pretty enough though).

Cons: small hotel room (especially bathroom), as well as old smell; sort of noisy outside (because this is NYC) but fine if keep windows closed.

Room Tip: Find a room that is not street side - NYC is really noisy even at midnight.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KirklandTom
Toronto
Reviewed April 18, 2014

If you're familiar with using Hotwire to book hotels you know that the hotel is not revealed until that fateful moment you hit the 'book it' button, and for a recent one-night stay in Manhattan, this is where Hotwire sent my boyfriend and I. The location is great! We took the NYC Airporter shuttle from LaGuardia airport to the nearby Penn Station, which was a 5 minute walk to the hotel. This saved us about $30 in cab fare. We were also within walking distance of Madison Square Garden (intentional since our itinerary included a Knicks game), and Times Square/Theatre District. The location is also right on the subway line which made other places we visited like Veniero's Bakery, easily accessible. If only the location was all that mattered...

This 4-star rated hotel that boasts stays by several legendary celebrities still maintains relics of its history, including the bathroom fixtures. The bathroom tiles and paint on the tub were chipping, the toilet bowl had permanent rust stains, and the room space felt pretty tight. I do appreciate history, don't get me wrong, but I would love to see hotel renovation that is underway include some TLC to the rooms.

Green Features: They had a sign in the bathroom encouraging guests to inform them when towels needed to be replaced. It would have been nice to have a recycling bin in the room. As an out of towner, it's a practice I've become quite accustomed to.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank t_hoppy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The New Yorker is an Art Deco design hotel that is in the middle of everything. Location, location, location is the name of this hotel. The rooms are very small but clean and comfortable. A very charming place with a few flaws. 1 issue I had is my key kept demagnetizing and I had to get a new key every time I went to my room. 2. No room service offered at the hotel. With that said you can't beat the price & location.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business