“Classic Art Deco”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #276 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 7, 2013

For a truly iconic experience, you can't go past The New Yorker. With its grand foyer, period room decor and incredible location, The New Yorker is the perfect venue to base yourself for an amazing New York stay.
With great access to New York attractions, including Central Park, Hyline and iconic neighbourhoods, for a first time visitor to this great city, it could not have been a better place to stay.
With Penn St station across the road providing esy subway links around the city, friendly staff more than willing to give advice on where to go, what to see and the easist ways to get there, and a business centre that enabled me to do thre work that I needed to, I could not have asked for a better location.
Being situated on the corner of 8th Avenue and W 34th street, walking around the city was brilliant as you arer in the middle. It is just a matter of picking a direction and heading off to explore.
And if you dont want to go out and explore, then I can totally recommend hanging around for happy hour at Coopers Tavern, and having the salt and pepper squid accompanied by a vodka martini, or for something more substantial, the Cobb salad at the Tick Tock Diner is amazing.

Room Tip: Try for high up. The noise from the street is filtered better and becomes a nice background melody r...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (11,808)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

It's been a few weeks since I stayed at The New Yorker but I promissed myself I would take the time to write a review when I got home. The location was great, the rate was economical and although the room and decor weren't the most up to date, everything was clean and everyone was great. I'd like to specifically thank Mohammed at the front desk. From walking up to him when I arrived to checking out, his service was EXCELLENT. He went above and beyond to make sure my stay was a good one. He upgraded me to a nice corner room - I never have a view of anything outside of the concrete of the building next to me. Mohammed provided me with a relaxing view of the NYC skyline.
Really enjoyed my stay. Looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: See Mohammed
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed Fri and Sat night. Rm 2939. No view, 1 queen size bed, 32 in flat screen. Small desk,
decent size bathroom. The room was extremely small. We didn't ask for a bigger room, or a view.
Decent enough room to stay in. We only slept there. Didn't do too much hanging around. There is space between the door to the hallway, so you here everything. But all in all decent room.
There is a diner and restaurant attached. Tick Tock diner, was ok. It's diner food. And very busy.
Did not eat at Coopers tavern. Just one block away from Penn station was great.
I thought the room was really expensive for the price. But it was just a weekend.

Room Tip: Our friends had a room with a view of the empire state building. 29th floor. But probably wasn't...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

After trying to decide for almost two months, we finally decided on The New Yorker Hotel. This was our first trip to New York but after seeing the location on Google Maps and talking to a few other that have been to New York before, I knew that this hotel was in a great location. Its kitty corner to Penn Station and has great subway access on every corner around it. At first, after reading other reviews, I was hesitant to booking there, I read the rooms were very small and the hotel had been unaccommodating to past guests. So, I emailed the guest services manager and asked a few questions regarding to satisfying the hotel guests. I even informed him that we booked on Expedia to save some money. He promptly replied and informed me that they try to do their very best in making sure the guests are happy. I figured this is what any manager would say but we finally decided to put it to the test. (By the way, thanks Mr. Kelvin Diaz) We checked into the hotel on Sept 4, 2013 at around 3pm, which for that time of day, I was expecting long line ups but to our surprise, we went right to the counter. I can't say that the guy that checked us in was all that friendly, he did however smile when he gave us the keys to our room for the next 10 days and informed us we were close to the top on the 37th floor! We had an amazing view of Penn Station, Madison Square Gardens, East river, Freedom Tower, all of downtown and off in the distance, the Statue of Liberty. The room wasn't exactly spacious but it was to be expected, we were already aware of the small rooms in Manhattan. We were hardly there anyway. The bed however was extremely comfortable and the pillows were just the same. Moving on...I highly recommend The Tick Tock Diner, its the 24 hr diner in the hotel. If you are looking for a good quick meal, then this is the place. Convenient location and reasonable prices. Its the cheapest place we could find a Corona, $4! The room was cleaned every day and the cleaning staff was very friendly. If you are looking for location, value and service, I would recommend this hotel. I would definitely stay here again. Oh, and a side note, if you are wanting to save some money, I would look into the NEW YORK PASS. Great value and a good way to save money for the New York attractions.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Recently, I had the pleasure of staying at The New Yorker Hotel for my for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. My whole family was there, eight of us. Besides its great location, only steps away from Times Square, and the amazing views of the city, the staff and service were top notch. They treated us like royalty. All of our needs were taken care of with happiness and glee. Whether it was an inquiry as to where to go or eat, or something we needed in the room the response was always quick and on the mark. Specifically, Mohammed and Dellworth were the absolute best. Even though they were managing a Hotel with hundreds of other guests, they made it seem like we were the only people that mattered. Their attention to detail and personal service is unmatched in the hotel industry. I do not say that lightly, as I travel often throughout the year. I would highly recommend this Hotel and its impeccable staff to anyone. Enjoy your stay here, I know you will!

What a great place to stay

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so you get a good view of New York City.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Ideal location to sight see in New York. The rooms are quite small but I think all hotel rooms in New York are on the small side. Hotel also has a diner and a 'pub' in it which was great after a long day travelling round this amazing city! But they are quite expensive so we went to the diner a couple of doors along and it was half the price. There's also a lovely Chinese restaurant over the road on the corner which is worth every penny. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel and I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel is excellently located and close to the subway and Penn Station. The public areas are beautiful. The bedroom on the 25th floor was small by European standards but was clean though the bathroom was dated. We paid extra for a room with a view and were not disappointed as we had a view of the Hudson River through skyscrapers which were spectacular after dark. For those not wanting a full breakfast coffee and pastries were available in the lobby at reasonable cost. We would certainly choose this hotel if ever we return to New York.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple