“Would definitely stay again...loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

You added Wyndham New Yorker Hotel to your Saves list
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   481 Eighth Ave, 34th St & 8th Ave, New York City, NY 10001 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #280 of 478 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Would definitely stay again...loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was our first time in NYC and really pleased to have spent it at the New Yorker Hotel. Family of 4, stayed 3 nights in a suite. Great service on check in by Mohammed who sorted our room with excellent views of the Empire State Building and Downtown. Would really recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't want to be staying in the hustle and bustle of Times Square but within walking distance to it. Our suite had plenty of space, although the bathroom was small. Our package included breakfast at the Tic Toc Diner. Food was ok.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,913)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Antwerpen, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The New Yorker Hotel may not be a 4* experience, it was a great hotel to explore the city. Check-in and check-out was fast and the staff was helpful and friendly (especially the cleaning lady). Our room was okay: very clean, though a bit dated. For example, the bathroom was spotless, but little flecks of paint were peeling off the wall. It won't win a beauty prize, but it is perfectly doable. Everything worked and we slept wonderfully.
The location however, is the real highlight of the hotel. Minutes removed from the Empire State Building, just a short walk from Times Square and Penn subway station right around the corner, what more do you need in NYC?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ronny Y, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. Our team really cares about our guests and we do whatever we can to ensure a great stay.
Please know that our management team is passionate and committed to the continuous improvement of our services and amenities. Your comments and concerns have been shared with our Management team for further follow up with their respective areas. We look forward to your return!

Ronny Yagual
Guest Service Manager
Ryagual@nyhotel.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Certainly not a 4 star experience

I'm checking out tomorrow after a 6-night stay. I wish I'd seen more reviews like my own so I would've better known what to expect.

(Incidentally, I'm not a picky/fussy person and I've had some great stays in hostels and 1* hotels, so try to keep that in mind when I'm marking this down)

The negative:
1) I emailed in advance requesting my mother's room have a city view, as a surprise for her having achieved a personal milestone this year.
A manager replied saying this couldn't be guaranteed, but notes had been placed on her reservation to request this if available.
When checking in, we were told there were no notes. The check-in lady failed to apologise and provided confusing information about "maybe" my mother could change rooms. The issue ultimately went unresolved.
My issue is the lack of notes - we knew there was a possibility the request couldn't be accommodated, but in this instance no-one even tried.

2) the room is extremely small and basic, as is my mother's. Bathroom shelf is about three inches deep and not actually big enough to hold anything (literally - all our stuff falls off in to the sink). Bathroom door is so stiff it must be slammed shut with both hands. No lock on the bathroom door - when I queried this I was told it's the case in all rooms.

3) at check-in we requested a fridge for the room. I wanted to pay cash but the check-in lady made me feel pressured in to paying on credit card, which isnt reallt convenient. She was also unable to provide a specific figure i would be charged, and I felt she was confusing about taxes and charges etc.
When the fridge arrived (very promptly I have to say), it was tiny. Another 3* hotel in New York I've stayed in before provided a medium sized fridge with freezer compartment in the room as standard.

4) wifi is free and easy to connect to - however it's shockingly slow. Only got it working for 2 non-consecutive days out of our 6 day stay. Especially inconvenient as I want to check my credit card charges for the fridge!
This mandated me using the business centre for the Internet - cost £7GBP for 90 seconds use!

5) the hotel placed $260's worth of charges on my credit card during check in which I wasn't warned about. I was really alarmed and queried it - and was told this is standard practise and the money will be refunded when we check out. Again, the chap I asked wasn't apologetic about the hotel's failure to inform - and initially stated I was incorrect before he checked to verify.

The positive:
1) the hotel on the whole is aesthetically nice
2) the adjacent Tick Tock diner is excellent, lovely waiting staff, short wait times, delicious food at good prices
3) the room and bathroom have been cleaned to a high standard
4) location is superb - everything is right on your doorstep
5) amenities eg business centre, fitness centre, gift shop are all excellent

Some redeeming features, but overall disappointing. I wouldn't recommend to family or friends, especially when we've had a far better experience at the cheaper 3* comfort inn manhattan on 44th street 2 years ago.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank JutteVT
Dear Valued Guest,

It is truly disappointing to me to receive such a negative review from one of our guests. First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a guest of our hotel. Second, your comments and concerns have been shared with our Management team for further follow up with their respective areas.I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

Please allow us at The New Yorker Hotel the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ronny Yagual
Guest Service Manager
Ryagual@nyhotel.com
Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the New Yorker from July 3 - 6. We had an excellent room for the price. The point to be made is that this was my first time in NYC. I had to get to Citi Field to see the Mets and to Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees. This city can be a bit overwhelming at times, however, the Conceirge(s) Suzie and Gail could not do enough for us. They helped us get tickets, and gave us exact directions on how to get to where we needed to be. The subway was closeby and they gave us the exact information we needed to be confident to get to both games. They were friendly and engaging to everyone who approached thier desk for help. I will stay at the New Yorker on my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family