“Good location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was my second visit to the New Yorker. Room was very small compared to last time. I emailed ahead and asked for a room with a safe but I didn't get a reply and we were allocated a room without one. We went back to reception and they happily moved us and the new room also had a view of the river so all good. We used the Tick Tick diner for breakfast. The food was good as was the service. Tip: the portions are huge so you could order 1 breakfast and share! The transportation desk booked us a taxi to the airport which was efficient and arrived on time. I would come back again.

1 Thank FranLew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,233)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've stayed at The New Yorker a number of times for both work and pleasure and it's definitely my favourite hotel in NYC. There is so much choice in the city when it comes to hotels but this New York classic retains its old school charm with its fabulous Art Deco style and brilliant staff.
We had a slight problem at check-in as the room we had booked wasn't available but the staff did everything possible to sort out and as it was also our wedding anniversary our check-in clerk, Mohamed even arranged for champagne and chocolates to be sent to our room which was much appreciated. The hotel is in a great location and with the brilliant 24hr Tick Tock Diner on the ground floor what more do you need for a great weekend in NYC? We'll certainly be back.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little bit more for a room with a view.
1 Thank Martin1504
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Although I normally prefer to stay in lower SoHo (and yes, I have a favorite hotel there, which I have also reviewed on this site) when I am visiting Manhattan due to my work, I recently (in mid-April of 2013) spent 10 days at the New Yorker because I had some clients located within a block of the hotel, making this my second stay at this hotel in 6 months.

Before I start my review, I should mention that I have a long history with this hotel. Back in the 1950s and early 1960s, when I was a kid, my grantmother maintained a year-round suite of rooms on one of the top floors of the hotel, and at one point in the late 1950s, my parents brought their kids, including myself, into Manhattan to visit my grandmother, and we stayed in her suite for a few days and nights.

Then, in the late 1990s, I stayed at this hotel twice while attending various workshops and seminars in lower midtown Manhattan.

For this current stay, I made my reservation (same as I did for my stay herein late 2012) online at the hotel's website about two weeks prior to my planned stay, and then a day or two after having made the online reservation, I called the hotel and asked if I might possibly be able to stay in one of the Nikola Tesla memorial rooms on the 33rd floor. It turned out that the Nikola Tesla Study memorial room, room 3328, was available, and so the hotel allowed me to reserve this room for the entire length of my 10-day stay.

As was true of my earlier stay at this hotel in late 2012, my stay here was great. I found the Tesla Study memorial room to be even more spacious than the room in which I had stayed during my 2012 stay at this hotel. Of course, when I write "spacious", I mean spacious by the standards of Manhattan hotels, where room space is limited by incredibly high property prices and property taxes, and by other inflated costs as well.

With one very minor exception which I aill address toward the end of my review, all of my interactions with hotel staffers, ranging from front desk clerks to housekeeping, were great, and the room was great. The room itself, and the bathroom too, were immaculate and well-kept.

One of the things that I REALLY like about this hotel, compared with all of the other large-city urban hotels in which I have stayed over the past 18 years, is that even though the hotel consists of 43 stories, and can hold over 1,000 guests, it is well-equipped with a plentitude of high-speed elevators. If I remember correctly, the hotel has 6 elevators serving floors 4 through 19 (which largely house studios, commercial clients and college students) and another 6 elevators serving guests staying on floors 20 through 40, and yet another 10 elevators reserved only for staff use (housekeeping, maintenance, engineering, etc.). As a result, no matter how crowded the hotel is, there is never a significant wait for an elevator, and the elevators are also very fast. This is in marked contrast to a great many large-city hotels in which I have stayed over the past 18 years, where elevator service is often rather slow and marginal.

The sole jarring note of my stay occurred when I first arrived at the hotel for check-in, and had to do with accessing lobby area rest rooms (aka bathrooms). As is my wont, I arrived at the hotel early, at about 1 PM, well before normal check-in time of 3 PM, and when I approached the front desk, I was advised the the Tesla memorial room that I had reserved was not yet ready, but was told that other rooms were available if I might wish to switch to a regular/non-memorial room instead of the memorial room that I had reserved. I elected to wait for the Tesla memorial study room, and chose to wait in the lobby.

About a half hour into my wait in the lobby, I needed to use a restroom, and so I approached the front desk once again, this time to inquire where I could find restrooms, and the front desk clerk advised me to go to Security/Information desk at the the rear center of the lobby and to ask for a restroom key there.

This is where it started to get weird. I approached the Security/Information desk, and managed to get the attention of one of the several rather distracted, inattentive and not-very-friendly people working there. I explained that I was a newly-arrived hotel guest, and that I was still waiting for my room to be cleaned before I could check in, and that I needed to use a lobby-area restroom during my wait. I was handed a plastic card/badge and a vague wave toward the escalator leading downstairs. When I asked what that vague wave meant, an obviously jaded and impatient staffer at the Security/Information desk vaguely stated that there were restrooms downstairs, in the lower lobby. With this vague information in hand, I hopped on the escalator and went downstairs. I found two doors that apparently led to men's restrooms, but the plastic card/badge that I had been given failed to work in either door. I then noticed a unisex bathroom, and again, the card/key/badge failed to operate the door.

Finally, I parked myself outside one of the men's rooms, and a minute later, the door opened as a hotel bellman exited the rest room. He held the door open for me, and as I passed him, I mentioned that the courtesy plastic card/badge that I had discovered that the security desk had given me did not work to open the bathroom dor, and he replied off-handedly that none of those "courtesy" keys really worked, and that it was common knowledge at the Security/Infomation desk that they did not work.

A few minutes later, after I was done using the restrooom, I went back up the escalator and handed the plastic card/badge back to a male staffer at the Security/Information desk, telling him that the key, in reality, had turned out not to function in opening any of the restroom doors downstairs. He scowled at me, and shrugged to indicate that he did not care, and then, amazingly, he turned around and handed the same (totally non-functional) key to another person who had just asked for a courtesy key to use in accessing the rest rooms.

This entire little scenario was, to me, an amazing demonstration of cluelessness, apathy, arrogance, and mindlessness on the part of the staffers at the Security/Information desk! A few days later, while sitting in my hotel room and reading reviews of this hotel by other guests on TripAdvisor, I was hardly surprised to see that several other reviewers had mentioned exactly the same issue regarding the lobby restroom courtesty keys and the attitudes of the Security desk staffers!

I briefly recounted the above-related incident a few days later to a hotel front-desk staffer, and the staffer indicated that this was a known problem area, and that, in their experience, this was really the only known significant outstanding "sore thumb" area for the hotel that was really begging for some remedial attention. I personally agree that this was definitely the only "sore thumb" area that I encountered in regards to this hotel, for all other aspects of my stay at this hotel were great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Vinny067
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Our first stop on our month long US holiday was the New Yorker Hotel. Caught train from JFK right to Penn Station, walked across the road and there we were. I thought how good is that. Nice quiet room up high enough to cut out most of the noise. Bathroom dated but so is the hotel and I like that rather than modernising everything leaving some relics from a more stylish time suited me just fine.

Very expensive compared to all our other accommodation in the US but accepted it as thats the price to pay when in NYC. The room was a reasonable size for two adults in two double beds. Tic Tock diner attached to hotel for quick meals and boy do they do a brisk business - but very well.

Close to everything, short walk to Times Square. Hop on hop off bus at the corner. Bolt Bus to Philly at the corner. Empire State building just down the road. everything we wanted. Great wifi which really made it easy to plan other stages of our holiday.

I would stay here again but affording it means I have to work for a while yet :(

Room Tip: higher the better to avoid street noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MBofSA
Surrey
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great hotel and great location near Times Square and subway entrances.
Friendly staff and clean, although small, rooms. Convenient 24 hour diner with good selections of good food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a fantastic location Close to time square and 5th avenue for shopping, close to Central Park and the harbour for the night cruise, very clean and great Art Deco interior design, we would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank M55yjo
Ronny Y, Guest Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our location is ideal for guests looking to see the city as it is right in the middle of all the major NYC attractions. Come back and visit us again soon!

Ronny Yagual
Guest Service Manager
Ryagual@nyhotel.com
Widnes
Reviewed May 12, 2013

As a special treat for my husbands 85th Birthday, we booked a 5 night break in New York staying at The New Yorker Hotel. We were given a very warm welcome and an upgraded room. The staff were very pleasant and polite, the room was lovely and the situation of the hotel was ideal for the main attractions. We would stay at The New Yorker again if we were ever in the city again.