“Well-Located Elegant Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nantucket, Massachusetts
“Well-Located Elegant Hotel”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I booked this hotel for its proximity to Madison Square Garden and my fifth trip to the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in February. It was just a short block away, with the added benefit of its proximity to Penn Station, which is adjacent to MSG and my transportation hub. Unfortunately, this year the benching areas and daytime group competitions for the dog show were relocated to the Piers and the shuttle system to relay both spectators, dogs, their gear and handlers to the outlying location was a little less than adequate. It took 40 minutes the first morning to make the trip.

Winter Storm Nemo had just come and gone when I arrived, and the snow was little in evidence on city streets although as I traveled in from the airport on the LIRR, I could see people were still digging out in the suburbs.

My check-in process went smoothly and the reservations clerk complimented herself on getting me a terrific room. It was on the 36th floor, which gave me pause, and it was a well-situated corner room with lots of windows looking out on a river. It wasn't until I couldn't get warm that I realized the disadvantage of all those windows, but finally, between closing the heavy drapes and the bitter cold weather abating on the next day, the room became more comfortable, even though I had adjusted the thermostat upward as far as it would go. The room was New York tiny, but since I was by myself, it didn't really matter. The queen-size bed was very comfortable, if not quite warm enough the first night.

I did take advantage of the hotel's dining rooms. I had breakfast in the Tick Tock Cafe each morning, which was fast and adequate, and had a lite bite at the dining room bar the first night and another evening meal in the dining room, which was quite tasty if not hastily and distractedly delivered.

The hotel has a period charm and although my room had all the conveniences, I was amused by the four faucets in the tub, the old fashioned soap holder and the tile TP dispenser - the kind that used to hold the inter-folded sheets - which had not been removed from the tiled walls.
I particularly enjoy staying at the hotels near the Garden during this time because you see dogs, handlers and owners all rubbing elbows in the public areas and the nearby streets. Where else can you see such beautiful dogs all in the same place?

Although this trip I didn't venture far, the hotel is an easy walk to Macy's, the Empire State Building and transportation. A Duane Reade is catty-corner across the street if you need sundries or a snack, the old Post Office building a short block down if you over shop and need to mail something home and my favorite deli, the Stage Door, right there on 8th Avenue as well.

Room Tip: Upgrade to at least the next largest size room if you are sharing with another person. If you are...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,252)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights and received great friendly service at a great location. The bonus of having the tick tock located next door was a great add. Rooms are small but that's par for the course in NYC. Quiet was a bonus too as I don't usually enjoy quiet in a manhattan hotel. I will be a frequent visitor

• Stayed March 2013
Morgantown
Reviewed March 7, 2013

First time staying at the New Yorker and it was a great experience. The location is perfect in my opinion. Penn Station/Subway across the street. I arrived via Megabus and the drop off is about 10 minute walking distance. The main attractions (Macy's, Madison Square Garden, Times Square, Rockefeller, etc. are all close enough to walk to; 5-20 minutes depending on where you're headed. There is a Duane Reade drugstore across the street. Tic Toc diner was moderate, had good breakfast but I ordered food around midnight once and did notice a difference in quality but it is attached to the hotel so it's convenient.

Mohommad was great at check-in and he upgraded me to a room with a decent view. Check in/checkout was speedy. Every member of the staff I encountered was friendly, made eye contact, asked if I needed anything, and wished me a good stay/visit. Room was very clean and the beds are super comfortable. I stayed in Room 2053(double deluxe--more spacious apparently) and had a decent view of Times Square buildings, Chrysler, and partial view of Empire state. I'm sure a higher room would have even better views. I could hear some street noise but it wasn't a big problem for me.The room would be a bit cramped with more than 2 people but it was big enough for my friend and I. There was a safe in the room. No refrigerator or coffee maker but you could request either--($20/stay for the refrigerator) and there is a McDonald's and starbucks across the street. Overall, great stay. I'll be back and would recommend this hotel to friends. I was impressed with the service and the price and location were just right.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Thanks to Mohammed, Front Desk, for finding our booking as he couldn't find it on the hotel system when we first arrived. We booked through an agent and somehow my first and middle name got swapped around. We didn't have to wait long before we discovered we had a lovely room with a great view of the Empire State building - a treat seeing the different coloured lighting each night. Free coffee maker, and free wifi too - both really helped to start each day with working out what the day's itinerary of sight-seeing would be. Chambermaids did a great job (no need to bring over soap, shampoo & shower stuff if you want to travel light). Finally the Hotel is a great location - very near Penn Station so handy if you are landing in Newark International and getting the Transit train into the city.

Room Tip: Metro room facing east for a view of the Empire State Building, ours was on the 19th floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I want to start off and say that i am very impressed with the staff at this hotel. My first day checking in started with Onelia Green working the reception check in area. She was wonderful and greeted me to the city. (First time in NYC) I was having a bit of a trouble checking in but instead of TURNING me away, Onelia checked other options with her Supervisor and worked it out for me to stay. Thank you Onelia for that great experience checking in. You were FABULOUS and i can tell you take care of the clients coming into this hotel.

The Cleanliness and HOUSEKEEPING Exceptional!!! I am up here on business and can I say, the people or person that was assigned to clean my room definitely took time and care down to folding the toilet paper and tissue paper! OUTSTANDING is all i can say!

Great Job Employees here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New Market, Virginia
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I found The New Yorker Hotel to be exceptionally clean and a very friendly staff. I did miss a microwave and coffee in the room but went downstairs to get coffee that was included in our stay as complimentary breakfast and it was great coffee.

Room Tip: there were 5 in our party and we stayed in the suite. Plenty of room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Wonderful location if you are taking the train into Penn Station! Very friendly staff, (check-in, housekeeping and security) and it very convenient to have 2 restaurants on-site. Room is smallish which is fine for me, but it was very quiet. I was on the 25th floor and away from the elevators.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business