While it's certainly possible to find more personal, boutique-y neighbourhood hotels, the New Yorker trumps many on the basis of its combination of location and value for money. The NYer was one of the first monster hotels to be built in the city and is almost like a city in miniature itself. Back in the day, it hosted many of the big bands and sports stars of the time. On arrival, you may be shocked by the size of the lobby and the sheer number of people in it, but this level of busy-ness is really what being in Manhattan is all about! The first 20 floors are not for hotel guests, which means you're guaranteed a room some way off the ground.
The NYer has been renovated several times over the years, retaining many of its Art Deco features, esp in the bathrooms. It could do with a bit more updating particularly in the public areas, but hopefully you will not be spending a great deal of time wandering the corridors, unless you get lost! The room we were given was a little small and the view not great, but the lady who checked us in said to come back the next day if we weren't happy. On doing so, she upgraded us to a much larger room at no additional charge, complete with a view of the Empire State building! That will do nicely NYer!
Apart from the friendly service, the location is the prime reason you would choose the NYer. In a safe neighbourhood and walking distance (and I mean walking distance) from the Empire State, Times Square, Macy's, Grand Central Station, Madison Square Garden and other attractions, it's ideally located in Midtown West, with Penn Station subway just outside. There's also a reasonable 24 hour diner right next door - Tick Tock - great for breakfasts and late dinners.
Altogether, you can't go wrong with the Nyer - it provides an ideal base in this spectacular city...if possible give yourself 7 days here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Yorker Hotel is one of the most popular hotels in New York City. Come revel in the newly re-imagined grandeur of our historic hotel. Our newly renovated and upgraded guest rooms and suites deliver contemporary comforts that leave nothing to be desired for today’s business travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Yorker Ramada Plaza
- Ramada New York City
- Ramada Plaza New Yorker Hotel
- New York City Ramada
- New Yorker Hotel New York
- Ramada Hotel New York