“In spite of the fire...”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #279 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The New Yorker is a convenient hotel with good prices.

We stayed here for 3 nights. The room was small (not a surprise, really) and the bathroom needs upgrading, but it was clean and offered the basic amenities. Service at the front desk was good - I requested a room on an upper floor and I got it (although when the fire broke out and the elevators were down, I was reconsidering my request). Also, they agreed to refund part of my internet charge (more on that below as well).

My main quibble is less with the hotel and service itself, but with the rating on Hotwire. I bid on a 3.5 star hotel, and I can't consider the New Yorker in that class.The disposable plastic cups, the mutant hotel hangers, and the general dingyness of the decor puts it solidly in the 2.5 - 3 star category. If that was my expectation, I'd have rated it higher.

My only complaints are minor. The bathroom needs updating - it was unheated, the water temp was hard to control and we quickly ran out of hot water and I'm not a fan of old-school shower curtains. Also, the pillows were strangely shaped (about half width) and my husband's head kept sliding off them (he uses 2 pillows).

Finally, there's a charge for internet (which I think should be free, perhaps conditioned on joining a frequent guest program) - and most specifically there's a charge for EACH device. These days, it's common to travel with more than one internet-ready device. I had my laptop, iPad and iPhone. I was charged for all three. Luckily, after I complained to the front desk on check-out and after a bit of a delay, they agreed to refund two of the charges.

Now, about the fire. On Sunday morning, a small fire broke out in the Tick Tock Diner on the first floor. It took a little while to find the source and get it under control and, as a precaution, the elevators were shut down for about an hour. During the event, the hotel kept us informed with announcements in the hallway speakers. They told us that there was no need to evacuate and to stay on our floor. I was happy about this because I wasn't anxious to walk down 35 flights!

All-in-all, my complaints were really quibbles and I was pleased with the value I received for my money and the level of service provided by the staff. If recommend this hotel, as long as you have the appropriate expectations.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkBearSF
Write a ReviewReviews (11,931)

Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed at the New Yorker Hotel while on business in November 2011. The hotel is literally across the street from Penn station so that public transportation to/from the hotel is simple. The hotel is large so that the reception area is busy with lines. The line nevertheless moves quickly with little waiting time, and the staff was very efficient. Elevator service was good. Rooms are clean, well-kept, quiet, and relatively large; bed was comfortable; and good sized bathroom. Very unfortunate that there is no coffee/tea machine in the room. There is the Tick Tock diner off the entry floor lobby ... good service, a varied menu, average tasting food. There is also a coffee cart in the lobby with coffee, juice, and snacks. If you like being in a busy area of New York, the hotel is well situated. But if you prefer a more quiet, residential atmosphere, I would choose the Upper West Side.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to ensure a quiet sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank shimon53
Reviewed December 19, 2011

My family went to NYC for my Mom's 50th birthday and we stayed at the New Yorker. My parents had never been to NYC before and I wanted everything to be perfect. Everything was fabulous! We arrived early morning (before check-in) and our bags were quickly stored so we could explore the city. We arrived hours later to check-in... It was fast and the woman helping us was helpful and so kind. I had mentioned my Mother's b-day when booking and they gave her a small box of chocolates as well as complimentary breakfast at Tick Tock Diner! How wonderful! We booked a suite and our room was on the 40th floor with a great view of the Empire State Building. The room was clean and large enough for 4 guests; 2 double beds and a pull-out sofa. All beds were very comfortable and cozy! The bathroom was clean and not terribly outdated, as some reviews state. We especially enjoyed the Keurig coffee in the room. :) We ate at the Tick Tock Diner twice for lunch and breakfast. The food was great and the service was fast! It is so busy and we all commented how efficiently the restaurant runs. We also ate dinner at Cooper's Tavern. The food was great! It is higher-priced than Tick Tock, but still reasonable for NYC. The location of the hotel can't be beat... next to Penn Station and MSG, close to Macy's and ESB, and short walk to Times Square! Thanks to the staff of the New Yorker for making my Mom's 50th birthday trip fabulous and truly unforgettable! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Splurge on a suite for lots of space and a view!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank RealHousewifeOfBFLO
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed in the New Yorker during last winter's snowstorm on a sightseeing trip and had a fabulous time. The location was perfect, just a short walk to everywhere with super convenient subway stops right outside the door. The room was teeny tiny, but I expected that and actually prefer living small so it was perfect for us. The only thing that could have been better was the bedding. The blankets were a little thin, but the room was kept at a comfortable temperature so it wasn't a problem.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Typical small NY rooms with nice decor and free Internet. I was able to stay here free because I had stayed at Super 8's and had enough of points. Room has a nice small bathroom with tub and the provided toiletries are good, no need to bring your own conditioner. Very close to Penn Station and many restaurants. Be sure to ask for a room on a high floor with a good view.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stayed in the New Yorker for one night on a business trip...and I probably wouldn't want to stay any longer. The rooms are small, probably big enough for just 1-2 people who aren't looking for an oasis but a place to sleep after touring NYC. The bed was very comfortable but I thought it was strange that the blanket they gave us was so thing, so as a result we had to blast the heat on all night. Wasn't very impressed with the bathrooms. They definitely need updating and it gives the feel that no matter how many times you clean it, it still feels kinda dirty. It's definitely very different from any Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Marriott or Radisson I've ever been in.
That being said, the location was unbeatable. It was a quick 10 minute walk to Times Square, Macys and endless shopping is right at your fingertips. The subway is also just right outside the hotel making it super convenient.
Also as a side note....as soon as I got into the elevator and arrived on my floor, I got this super weird vibe. If you've ever been on the Tower of Terror at Disneyland this is exactly what it looked like. Probably because the hotel is so old, but I definitely would be afraid of staying here by myself overnight.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed in the new yorker for four nights , December 2011, i cant complain at all The room was clean and the bed was "very" comfortable , the only downfall was no tea/coffee making facility in the room. The room was cleaned daily and was warm with good heating facilities. We had a street view but could not hear the traffic. The bathroom was smallish but clean and suitable. The night staff were very helpful, the night porter especially. The tick tock diner is open 24 hours so you can buy food or drinks through out the night and take them to your room. The location is ideal, a ten minute walk from time square. There is a TGI fridays and 24 hour chemist and store across the road. It is across the road from maddison square garden and penn station so ideal for underground links. The food in the tick tock diner was great and the service was quick. There was sometimes ques to get in in the morning but i guess this reflects how decent the place is and it can get busy late in the evening, being 24 hours it is also open to public. You have to show your room card when attempting to enter the lifts which indiates decent security. The hotel reception allowed us to use their phone twice to call the airport over a lost case and set up shuttle arrangements for transfer. There is an extra coffee stall near the tick tock diner where you can buy beverages all day. The check out time is 12.00 noon which is ideal for most flights home and they store your case for a very small fee. cant complian at all and would stay again.

Room Tip: stay above 30th floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple