“Felt like I was a native New Yorker!”

The Marmara Manhattan
Ranked #160 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Felt like I was a native New Yorker!”
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I don't need a 6 star hotel to be happy, but I am picky. I loved staying in the Marmara!

One of the things that I look for is good communication before I stay in a hotel. To say the Marmara doesn't disappoint is an understatement! I had looked at the rates on the site and was pleased to see that I could get a studio suite for less than a single bedroom with shared bathroom midtown. I don't know New York well though and wanted to know how easy it would be to get to Columbia-Presbyterian (W 168th St) and NYU Medical Center (E 33rd Street). I emailed and got a response the same day from the wonderful Neslihan. She gave me a full rundown of transport options. She then offered a free upgrade to a one bed suite if I wanted to book. I did! A while later I emailed to ask if I could have some online shopping delivered. No problem. If it arrived before I did they would hold it.

So:

Location: Some people wouldn't like being well up the Upper East Side (technically Yorkville really) but I was glad I was there. The hotel is on 94th Street and 2nd Avenue and easily accessible by subway-stop is on 96th street. Every time I strolled around 34th street I was glad I was living away from the crazy throngs of tourists. The area around the Marmara is far more residential and you kind of get to feel like you're living in New York. There are plenty of grocery and drugstores nearby, ranging from expensive ones like Dean and Deluca to the cheap and cheerful Pioneer/C-Town and midrange Gristedes and D'Agostinos. I made many trips to Crumbs, Glasers and Two Little Red Hens bakeries also. Very close to Guggenheim, Whitney and Met. It's a few blocks east to Central Park where you can go for lovely runs around the reservoir.... I'm missing it already!

Check-in: I arrived early but they managed to find me a room straight away. They had kept a package for me...and knew before I asked. It was swift and the guy on the desk was really friendly.

Room: Well, it was an apartment really! I was on the 18th floor. Large bedroom with TV and loads of storage. Bed was quite hard but I got used to it. Couldn't sleep with street noise first night but managed every other night so it may have been due to being over-tired at the start. There was a full kitchen with a massive fridge, and everything you could need-utensils, plates, cups, plates, saucepans etc. Even sealable Pyrex bowls. I particularly liked it that there was a dishwasher...and they provided detergent, washing-up liquid and rubber gloves. Nice touch! There was a little pack with 2 bottles of water, coffee, tea, creamer and sweeteners also. Living room comfy with TV, DVD player and fax machine/copier. Everything spotless

Amenities: Small fitness room with some weights, elliptical, treadmill, bikes, rower and TV. More than adequate and never full. There's also a laundry room with a few washers and dryers. Didn't have to wait for a machine. Cute little gallery in lobby which was lovely to see when you arrive in the door. There's also a laptop set up there with internet access, as well as free WiFi in the rooms. No restaurant but loads outside and they deliver.

Staff: Wonderful. I was greeted with a hello and a smile every single time I entered or left. Both the doormen and the front desk staff were charming and exceedingly helpful. Heard them giving extensive area advice to guests and they accepted all my deliveries and made sure I got them. A car was organised to bring me to the airport and they also printed out my boarding pass for me!

Downsides: Slow elevators. Bit noisy... These would in no way prevent me from staying here again! So so happy with my decision.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank GráinneM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Turkish first
Denmark
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Stayed with freinds in September and we were all very pleased with the service and the room witch was big clean and very nice. We stayed four nights in a one bedroom luxery apartment, and one night i the penthouse wich was absolutely briliant, you sould try one night there the views and size of the room and terrace was much more than expected.
We also recieved graet service from the front desk through out our stay.
We Will stay at the Marmara Suites when we come to NY next time.
John From Denmark

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2009

First trip to NYC and stayed in hotel in Tribeca first then at Marmara - the latter was much better, and much better value at the same price. You can go cheaper if willing to share a bathroom, but I was so not going there!

Huge suite (larger than my apartment in Sydney), full kitchen, aircon, nice and quiet, all amenities (two full bathrooms!) and balcony at Marmara vs small room with no frig in Tribeca for the same $$$. Actually did happy dance in foyer once the bellman left after bringing me up to the room.

Friends warned me the Upper East Side was a bit far from 'the action', but is two blocks from subway and NYC public transport is so good you can get anywhere quickly with a Metrocard. There are also plenty of restaurants/cafes/etc close by and a short walk to Central Park, Met, shopping on 5th Ave, etc.

Am used to staying at Westin/Hyatt for work so have high standards. Worst things that happened were towel rail fell off (easily fixed) and needed new wine opener (quickly supplied) - great welcome to NYC. There is road works happening outside on 2nd Ave - common in NYC - but no noise during night.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We had a good sized one-bedroom suite, nicely decorated in modern style. Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, fridge, etc. TV in both sitting room and bedroom. Huge closet with shelves in bedroom. Very clean. No complaints whatsoever about the hotel. We weren't as pleased with the location--the hotel was surrounded by construction (subway?). It was several blocks to the nearest subway, and a taxi trip to downtown cost $20. There were some good nearby restaurants--we liked Nick's Restaurant ( across the street because of the construction) which serves very generous proportions of Italian food --an excellent choice for families. We enjoyed breakfast at the Barking Dog restaurant, a couple of blocks up the street, which is also good for lunch.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon S
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We had the great luck to book a two-night stay at the Marmara Manhattan after our search for accomodations at the more "traditional" hotels didn't bear fruit. For $225.00 a night, we had a one bedroom, two bath suite on the 28th floor with great city views. The suite had a living room, dining area and full kitchen, entry hall, two full baths and a large bedroom with a king-size bed. There were two televisions and windows surrounded all of the exterior walls. There was also a printer/copier/fax in the room for our use. The staff, including the doorman and the front desk people were very courteous and welcoming. This hotel was truly a find if you have a reason to stay in this upper east-side neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drake433
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting NY! It was amazing!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Manhattan
Reviewed September 4, 2009

You get spacious rooms at low prices, with great views on the higher floors. Why? The hotel is out of the way in Manhattan and the chain does not spend a lot on advertising. It is part of a Turkish hotel chain. Go for a high floor due to the subway construction on Second Ave. and 94th - just below. You are still only about 15 minutes from the Met and Mueseum Mile and the hospital area. Great reasonably priced restaurants nearby include - Ital (Nicks), Hunan (Chef Hos), Szechuan (Wu Liang), Fr Alsatian (Cafe Alsace), Peruvian (Pio Pio), Steak & Fish (Parlor), American and Bakery (Corner Bistro and Bakery and Sarabeths). A printer and Wifi in each room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple