“Spacious”

The Marmara Manhattan
Ranked #166 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 11, 2013

What a relief it was to find this gem - this lovely hotel is clean, spacious and has everything we need. From the friendly staff to the impeccable housekeeping, this hotel is a little home away from home. It is situated 2 blocks from a subway station in the Upper East Side and despite the construction going on around us, we slept soundly in the comfortable bed. The kitchen is clean and well supplied, the bathroom has the usual lotions and soaps and the lounge area is spacious and comfortable.
On our first day the shower didn't drain but this was fixed as soon as we complained. The only negative is the wifi. We have had problems with it from day one. We have had the router re-set twice and have been on the phone with the support staff who did what they could, which helped for a few hours but the wifi just kept dropping out and was very weak when you sat on the couch or in bed.
The front desk staff were very helpful when we asked questions and organised cabs and shuttles for us when needed. If I came back to New York, this is where I would stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NaHu11
marmaramanhattan, Front Office Manager at The Marmara Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you dearly for the lovely response, you are the “gem” for your kind, encouraging words. We are aware just how important, and dependent we have become on WIFI and technology in general. Please accept our sincere apologies for any difficulties during your stay, but rest assured we are striving to improve and enhance this for your future trips the New York.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have just arrived back to my home in Port Dalhousie, Ontario and had to rush to my computer to leave a review for this hotel. My girlfriend and I decided to spend her 21st birthday in New York City which is what brought us to Manhattan and the Marmara Hotel. Well it was actually the great reviews that was the deciding factor but lets carry on... Her parents and the two of us decided we would save a lot of cash if we shared a place instead of getting 2 separate rooms during our 4 day stay, so we went for the 2 bedroom suite.

Upon arrival, I was semi disappointed with the amount of construction going on in the immediate area but didn't let it ruin my 1st trip to the N.Y.C area! (I didn't hear it anyways in the a.m. and my room was on the corner it was happening. Plus it's Manhattan not Bethal)

After almost dying 37 times in the cab, we arrived and were greeted by a very kind doorman and a rather unusually styled, relaxing foyer. I instantly received a good vibe about this place. We worked out the details with a helpful receptionist and a senior personnel helpfully advising. I think the kid was green at it still.

We made our way to our 2 bedroom suite on the 12th floor. Room 1202. A tastefully funky elevator with a crystal chandelier beams you to your apartment with a sense of fun and class.

We opened our door to be greeted with tons of windows and a fine mix of modern and classic decor. It was everything we could have expected. Nice little kitchen with full sized appliances, dishes, comfortable living room, nice dining room, and 2 bathrooms / bedrooms with very comfortable beds, it was perfect. I will say that this is a place that will please almost everybody. If you expect it to be like a 10 million dollar Manhattan penthouse then spend the money and do it up. I personally find it hard to complain about anything for the price and service we benefited from this weekend.

There's a large variety store across the road with Beer, food, Beer, hot meals , beer and everything you need.

My girlfriends parents travel a lot and have the cash to blow on fancy places so they do most of the time. They loved the Marmara as did being on the opposite side of the financial spectrum, we don't have the cash to blow so it was very luxurious for your middle class Joe.

After 4 days of running around new york city, we had to pack it in and come home. We checked out at 10:30am and they held all of our luggage while we toured until 6pm before leaving to come home. A helpfully doorman by the name of Marco called a cab and carried 3 bags to the cab and loaded it up. I was impressed. I am not easily pleased and can see through people well but this place seamed happy. Everyone was extremely kind but not fake kind. Just good people.

Just so I don't rant, this is what I loved most about the Marmara Hotel.

1) Very kind, helpful to tourists,
2) 7 a.m yesterday morning I left the apartment to get flowers and a coffee for my girlfriend. I came back and a gentlemen suggested he get me a vase. I simply had said, "good morning" and he piped up. Withing 5 minutes, He rang the door with a vase.
3) Cleanliness
4) $20 to almost anywhere by Yellow Cab
5) Beds
6) Great looking rooms with a home-like feeling
7) Price
8) Well stocked, 24 hour variety store directly across the road. With everything! Beer. Food.
9) Parking Garage
10) I Liked it and I'm a contractor lol

Room Tip: 1202 was a great room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonny M

What a gracious and engrossing review! This was a novel idea to give your Late Night with Letterman “Top Ten” list of what you “loved most about the Marmara”, we will treasure it. It was such a pleasure to see New York and the Marmara through your “first time in NYC eyes”. Happy Happy wishes again to the birthday girl!
We have a novel idea, you should make this an annual event, and look forward to seeing your reservation for the 22nd, 23rd 24th …….birthdays.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The draw of this hotel is the apartment layout. The apartments are spacious and very fun for families. Full kitchens can save lots of dining money. The neighborhood is one of the nicest in manhattan. Here at 730 in the morning you see lots of families marching their little kids in school uniforms - it is a very pleasant residential neighborhood and has grocery stores and nice small neighborhood restaurants. The staff of the marmara are so nice. Just regular New Yorkers who pleasantly go about their duties and try to help everyone. The owners are another story. One of the dining chairs in our apartment was so beaten up, the legs were buckling. Countertop in bath is grungy, the walls need painting. Looks like owners are bleeding the Marmara. Needs renovation. Stayed here a few years back and it seems like little if any improvements have been made. We have the basic one bedroom and had the larger one br last time and its kind of a big difference. We noticed right away. Also be sure to get a high floor as the second ave subway is still under construction. outdoors. All in all, I'd stay herd again. The residential feel of the neighborhood and apartment layout outweigh the interior concerns, even though renovation is needed.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank jimjade3
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Marmara Manhattan grows on you. We stayed for nearly a week and found it an excellent base on the upper east side for getting to the city, eating out and exploring on foot. The apartment was clean and everything worked. If anything was a bit tricky, it was fixed (eg bath plug mechanism). The staff were helpful and unobtrusive. The size of the apartment was a pleasant surprise. There was plenty of room to spread out. The kitchen worked and there was a decent desk. That the fit out was almost retro became irrelevant to us.

For first time visitors it may seem a bit out of the way and too far from the bright lights. However, having stayed previously near Grand Central we really liked the position.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
marmaramanhattan, Front Office Manager at The Marmara Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

We never have to convince anyone twice, spend a week with “plenty” of room in a Upper East Side apartment and you will be sold. We were honored you chose the Marmara, and thank you for giving any first time visitors a hint, the “Marmara Manhattan grows on you”. The lights are still bright, and only enhanced from our views.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My family and I are staying here as we renovate our NYC apartment. As I have said before in my reviews, I have travelled a lot. While I love luxury, I can do without quite easily. The Marmara is very good in may respects. Lots of light. Great views (lots of buildings, this is NY). The service is very good and helpful. Our three bedroom accomodates 6 of us perfectly.
My problem is with the facility. It is very worn and outdated. Sure, the furniture is modern, but it has seen better days: dings, stains, fraying. The bathrooms are very small and cheaply done (this is a step below IKEA). Same for the mini kitchen. The floor landing hallways are very dark and from another era. Ditto the terrible elevators. I can't imagine what they were thinking when the lobby was "designed." Pastic grass on the walls? I kid you not.
The dryer, microwave and 2 lamps were broken on arrival.
Finally, The Marmara sits on top of the Second Avenue subway construction. Lots of noise, difficult negotiating 94th Street and the Avenue. Not to mention, Second Avenue is grim. Not a great starting point for a day and not a good launching pad for tourists.
One can only hope the neighborhood improves for the best with the completion of the new subway (2016, they say) and that the Marmara starts renovating, floor by floor, immediately (and thinks quality both here and for their next project further West).

Room Tip: As high up as you can go.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ritz1165
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed in NYC for 4 nights, all of them at the Marmara. Good location provided you want to be out of the chaos. Short walk away from the subway to get you back into the chaos. Our one bed apartment was clean and spacious and had everything you would expect in terms of appliances and amenities with an amazing view of the city too. The only downside was the roadworks going on outside the hotel. But we couldn't hear it from our high room and it's beyond the Maramaras control so they can't really be held responsible.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

What a great way to put it, just “out of the chaos”, yet minutes away from the NYC we love. Thank you for you stellar feedback, it was a great pleasure to be your hosts.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed at the Maramara this past weekend for our trip to NYC! We sent our request to not be on the ground floor and we requested a Balcony! We got everything we asked for! I slept on a soft top mattress! We had a One-Bedroom Suite, which happen to be thee quietist Hotel room I have ever stayed at! We had free Wi-Fi and also access to the computer with printer in the lobby, so I was able to print my boarding passes! There was a 24hr market across the street in case we needed to make any purchases! I would recommend this Hotel to Everyone!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CynthiaP1316

Recommend away, “a cozy stay “ for all. It is so delightful you enjoyed the hotel, and “got everything you asked for”. Thank you so much for taking time out to review us, can’t wait to see you again soon.