“My home when I come back home”

The Marmara Manhattan
Ranked #131 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I come back home to NY I like to stay in residential neighborhoods in something that doesn't feel like a hotel. This mix use luxury apartment/hotel is my preference. Two blocks from the subway at 96th street and eight blocks away from the subway on 86th street it's perfect. having grown up a few blocks away on the upper east side fits my lifestyle perfectly. Some may be disturbed by the construction of the 2nd Avenue subway line but me being a native New Yorker, my mindset is, that's just how it would be if I lived there on a daily basis, it comes with the territory.And it's going to take them years to complete it, so.... My advice for out-of-towners, stay on a higher floor to avoid the noise during the weekday. Though all apartments have not been fully renovated as of yet, if you're looking for a clean, comfortable residence like atmosphere, with lots of restaurants and bars outside your door (or supermarket/grocery stores) should you choose to cook your own phone this is a good choice. Central Park is a quick bus ride - catch it either on 86 or 96 street. The Guggenheim Museum is right on 5th Avenue. Or if you're like me - walk - it's only five nice blocks west - but the bus will take you through the park and over to the west side - the Natural History Museum is on the Westside. The staff is friendly and feels like family. Remember it's a resident/hotel so there are no restaurants or room service available on the premises. But you shouldn't care if you're looking for a setting that feels like home. Especially for long term stays. If you want all the bells and whistles of a four/five star HOTEL then stay in a HOTEL - it you want an apartment -these are a good bet. Will be back there again in June. Happy travels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank AbdulRahman4256
marmaramanhattan, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

“There’s no place like home…” we are delighted you so enjoy our emerald city! Thank you for mentioning what ”comes with the territory”, the short walk to the world renowned museums and to our enviable “backyard” Central Park. High praise indeed if transplanted natives return and claim our “residential neighborhood” as their destination in New York. We are eager to see you back home in June and rest assured our Room Service is offered by innumerable UES restaurants eager to offer up their specialty

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Marmara for a couple of days due to some medical tests at Mount Sinai Hospital. Originally, I had selected it due to proximity to the hospital, so I could walk, but injured my knee which prevented me from walking much. A taxi to the medical center was between $5 - $ 7.50. While there is subway construction happening on 2nd Ave, I wasn't affected by any construction noise at any point during my stay. You do hear traffic, but it IS NYC.

The staff were all so friendly and approachable, which I really appreciated. Super friendly, they all went out of their way to make me comfortable. Dennis the concierge is great. All the doormen I encountered were incredibly helpful. One even went outside, in the snow and acorss the street to hail me a taxi. I arrived late, and upon check in was advised there is a 24 hour deli across the street, and a pizzaria open until 3am.

I will be travelling back to NYC several times over the next couple of years, and do plan on staying at the Marmara again. The rooms are a little dated, with older appliances, and little decor/color paint, but the room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. HDTV's in the rooms. The windows open.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
marmaramanhattan, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

It is a great pleasure to receive reviews that start out “clean, spacious and excellent staff”. Much thanks for the praise of our dedicated Doormen, going the extra step to ensure your comfort, on an uncomfortable day. Your most profound statement “IT IS NYC” with all its opportunities, around the clock happenings, and on occasion the decimal level, impressively adds to the excitement.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I picked this hotel mostly because I wanted to visit museums on Fifth Avenue and it was a short ride away, it was crosstown from family, and it offered more space than a typical hotel, the price was reasonable for New York and for what you typically get. I had an apartment, in effect, and never felt crowded. The staff was excellent, helpful, cheery. Can't commend them highly enough.

There are some downsides. It's on Second Avenue, where there is massive, noisy construction on a subway line. Even at night, that can be an issue because of the sound of cars going over the metal plates covering the street. I'd recommend asking for a room very high up.

Also, because it was a building of condos that's been re-purposed as a hotel, it has oddities: like a bathroom light switch in my apartment not much more than two feet from the ground, or a tiny toilet not designed for an adult man, and a mirror right opposite the commode (!). The water from the sink in the bathroom and the full kitchen smelled weird, so I used bottled water for the coffee maker (which sadly just had generic Maxwell House). There are scuff marks and signs of wear on walls and furniture, and the platform bed was positioned so that when I didn't fully close the bedroom closet door, I kept banging my shins.

Overall, I was pleased, but I'm not entirely sure I'd pick it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floors both for a view and to be above the noise of a very busy street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Our location is universally praised for the proximity to fifth avenue “Museum Mile”, what a treasure. I will personally pass on your high commendations to our “cheery” staff. We are grateful for your helpful appraisal and your thoughtful insights for our continued improvement. With the completion, nearing day by day, of the extraordinary opportunity the second avenue Subway offers us, the sky is the limit. We sincerely do hope to see you back in the very near future.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was in New York for some appointments at Mt Sinai Hospital, which is about 8 blocks away, not a bad walk. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. The hotel has Suites with full kitchens, living room with a sleeper sofa, that is actually quite comfortable, which is where I slept. My brother had the bedroom which was spacious. Great amenities in the bath. There are great restaurants in the area. We walked over to the Guggenheim Museum and Central Park also within walking distance. The only negative I have to say has nothing to do with the hotel, but there is subway construction directly out in front of the hotel. Once that is finished all will be wonderful! I will be going back a few times and will stay there every visit to NY.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

We are always delighted to meet new friends here at the Marmara, and your unbelievable promise to stay with us every visit to New York, unimaginable.
Thank you for pointing out how convenient our Upper East Side location truly is, only minutes away from unparalleled dining, unprecedented museums, and unforgettable Central Park. We are truly thankful for your review.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just back from a week with my family in NYC, made even more pleasurable by our decision to rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in the Marmara Hotel on the upper East Side. I had asked by email if we might get a room quite high up to make the most of the views downtown, and boy did they deliver. From the moment we opened the door of the apartment and looked out onto the Empire State Building lit up in red white and blue, we knew we were in the right place. Unlike any other hotel room I have been in in NYC, the biggest difference here was the space available, which made all the difference with two teenagers in tow, and the excellent facilities in the apartment. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Super friendly concierge staff, super friendly doormen, and not as far from the subway stop on 96th and Lexington as some reviews had led me to believe. I'm sure being on the 23rd floor helped, but we also were not disturbed at all by the building work which is set to make a subway stop on the doorstep once concluded. At the end of the week we didn't want to leave. Many thanks to all for a great stay - next time we come to NYC, this is where we will be staying.

Room Tip: South facing rooms looking downtown from high in the building have stunning views of NYC. Higher lev...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NickP65
marmaramanhattan, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

There could be no greater complement, then when our guests “do not want to leave”. High praise indeed, for the Door and Concierge staff for “boy did they deliver”, which is their standard fare. Most who try the Upper East Side revel in its convenience and location, and that breath taking view is very easy to get used to. We hope you return as often as the colors change on the top of the Empire state building.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our second stay here following a great experience in November. We arrived early (before noon) and the staff graciously upgraded us to a suite because the room we reserved was not yet ready. We loved the suite and will reserve a suite in the future. The suite was spacious and had everything we needed. We had kind, considerate and prompt assistance from everyone including the folks at the reception and the bellmen. We highly recommend the Marmara and will stay there when we return to NYC.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

The most significant barometer a hotel uses is when we see our satisfied guest return over the years. “Considerate and prompt” only adds the proverbial cherry on top. We are tremendously thankful for your continued recommendations. Hurry Back!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was the second time I have stayed at the Marmara because of surgery at Mt. Sinai. The hotel has contracted rates with the hospital and is a short cab ride or longer walk to the Mt. Sinai hospital. Because of this, I was able to secure a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, full kitchen and balcony for both stays. You can imagine how helpful the large space was for myself, my partner and my mother! There are plenty of interesting restaurants close by and the staff was helpful in all respects, from restaurant recommendations to help with cabs and luggage. If you need to be on the upper East side or are in need of more apt. type space this is ideal. Thanks again to the staff for making a difficult stay almost pleasurable.

Room Tip: Top floors have great views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

We are honored you chose to return to the Marmara, repeat guests thrill us to no end. Our apartment style Suites truly are an “ideal” Upper East Side offering. I will be privileged to pass along your acclaim to our staff, who cherish making the most of difficult situations with compassion. We hope you are back on your feet soon, for yet another visit with us.....