“Friendly, safe hostel in good location”

Hostelling International - New York
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Friendly, safe hostel in good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed for one night through a CCUSA trip in a 8 bed room with all girls. It was clean and I felt safe as a female travelling on my own. The bathrooms were also clean and the cafe downstairs had a bit of everything. This was an impressive experience for my first hostel stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
HostelD_13, Manager at Hostelling International - New York, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Our staff is thrilled to hear that your first hostel experience was an enjoyable one! We hope your work with CCUSA will bring you back to our hostel someday. Feel free to contact us if there is anything we can do to provide you with another memorable stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taupiri, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I really like this hostel, I stayed in a 12 bed dorm room which was girls only over New Years. Didn't have any trouble with loud noise or anything like that. It was very warm despite it being freezing outside. The separate lockers were great and beds were assigned. The cafe is great and cheap and they had heaps of activities and outings to join in on.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HostelD_13, Manager at Hostelling International - New York, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
We are happy to hear that your stay was comfortable and that you enjoyed our facilities. Sounds like it was a great way to start the year!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had a really great experience staying at the Hostelling International in New York City. The location is fantastic. Walking distance to the nearest subway station and also to columbia University. Service provided is great and people are really friendly. There are so many activities that go down in the hostel that even if you don't feel like going somewhere you can just sit there and talk to people.
They also organize activities and tours for tourists and help you plan activities for your trip.
Amazing stay and really comfortable. The bathroom and the bed etc were really clean and well maintained.
Tip: Carry a lock for your locker otherwise they'll ask you to pay extra for the lock.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Very good advice for fellow travelers. We are happy that you found our hostel to be a comfortable place that encourages interaction with other guests. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay with us and we hope you will visit our hostel again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I had a wonderful experience staying at the HI-NYC. The location is fantastic. I always felt safe and taken care of. I needed to change rooms during my stay (which I was aware of and had booked), and the staff took care of my luggage until I was able to check back in. Great service.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
We are proud to offer great service and we appreciate your kind feedback on your recent stay. We look forward to your next wonderful experience in NYC. Best wishes!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

You can find everything what a traveller needs. It's very clean. The management keep their eye on everything. Shiny floor, clean bathroom, fresh bedlinen. The cafeteria is full of plenty of food and drink. Price wise is not bad. But you can use the kitchen as well. It's very big and lot's of useful stuff are there.

As I was there in December I haven't seen and used everything what they offer. But I've been on the grand New York tour with Jerry, That was brilliant and incredibly cheap.

I cannot say that the price of the accommodation was cheap. But it is worth it.

The location is very good. Two subway stations are very close. One of them is literally 2 minutes.

The only negative side was that our room for 8 was quite smelly because all of the shoes were inside. Just imagine 8 x 2-3 pairs of shoes and slippers together. As the weather was so cold we needed to compromise between cold and smell.

Room Tip: I've seen a very nice family room for four. It was nicely decorated and more comfort in. Would a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maria G
Thank you for your feedback on your stay last Winter. We think it's great you were able to take advantage of the hostel's tours even in our colder months. Please let us know when you plan on returning. Best wishes!
Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

The hostel is very good nice location and very clean and services are very nice and all the worker in the hostel are very helpful I like this hotel very much and I told my friends about it.Would go back for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us! We hope you will return to our hostel soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed in New York's Hostelling International in August 2013 and I loved it! Of course it isn't a five star hotel and there are the usual compromises that have to made when staying in a hostel but it was fantastic for the price.

Location: The location was great. Two minutes walk from the Subway station from which you can catch line 1, 2 and 3 (you can get to Times Square on this line in approx. 15-20 mins). Very short walk (5-10 mins) to northern Central Park and a fairly short walk (15-20 minutes) from Harlem. The Upper West Side is generally very quintessentially New York with fire-escaped tenements but is fairly quiet for the inner city.

Safety: I felt very safe (and I am both young and female and was travelling on my own). From what I was told the area used to be bad but now it seems to be very nice. I encountered no issues whatsoever (not even catcalling!) even if I was walking back late at night. There are always staff in the lobby (and in the halls) and you have to swipe your card to get into the rest of the hostel.

Staff: The members of staff were phenomenal. Every single one that I met was cheerful and very very helpful (even when I arrived, hadn't slept for two days and couldn't work out what money I was trying to give him).

Rooms: I stayed in the premium dormitory (6 people rather than 12 and you get breakfast and shower slippers). I'm not sure that it would make too much difference if there were 6 or twelve people in your room (I think it probably depends who is in there) but the breakfast and shower slippers were worth having. Several different people came and went in the time that I stayed and they were all really friendly and chatty. No problems there. There are fairly large lockers to keep your stuff in (although you have to bring your own padlock) and it was very clean. The only minor criticism that I could think of would be that the beds in my room were made of metal and were very creaky (annoying when you're trying to creep into bed) but some dormitories that I saw had wooden beds.

Amenities: The bathrooms were absolutely fine. They were always clean and not very busy. I never had to wait to have a shower or use the sink and the water was always hot. There were also some great tours and trips that were co-ordinated by the hostel and advertised with sign-up sheets in the lobby. These were all free or very cheap. I went on the Harlem gospel one on the Sunday and it was great.

All-in-all, a great experience!

Tip: if you're travelling back to the hostel on the subway late at night you'll probably be on an express train that misses out some stops. The stop closest to the hotel is 103rd Street (on Broadway). Make sure that on the stops leading up to this one that you listen to the announcement of the next stop. It sometimes stopped at 103rd Street and you could get off there but sometimes skipped this station. If it does skip the station, get off at 96th Street and walk north. Don't stay on the train until 110th Street and Central Park North (I made this mistake one night and it didn't feel particularly safe - there was a lot of staring).

Have fun! It'll be great! :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo