“As a hostel, I can hardly fault it!”

Hostelling International - New York
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed in New York's Hostelling International in August 2013 and I loved it! Of course it isn't a five star hotel and there are the usual compromises that have to made when staying in a hostel but it was fantastic for the price.

Location: The location was great. Two minutes walk from the Subway station from which you can catch line 1, 2 and 3 (you can get to Times Square on this line in approx. 15-20 mins). Very short walk (5-10 mins) to northern Central Park and a fairly short walk (15-20 minutes) from Harlem. The Upper West Side is generally very quintessentially New York with fire-escaped tenements but is fairly quiet for the inner city.

Safety: I felt very safe (and I am both young and female and was travelling on my own). From what I was told the area used to be bad but now it seems to be very nice. I encountered no issues whatsoever (not even catcalling!) even if I was walking back late at night. There are always staff in the lobby (and in the halls) and you have to swipe your card to get into the rest of the hostel.

Staff: The members of staff were phenomenal. Every single one that I met was cheerful and very very helpful (even when I arrived, hadn't slept for two days and couldn't work out what money I was trying to give him).

Rooms: I stayed in the premium dormitory (6 people rather than 12 and you get breakfast and shower slippers). I'm not sure that it would make too much difference if there were 6 or twelve people in your room (I think it probably depends who is in there) but the breakfast and shower slippers were worth having. Several different people came and went in the time that I stayed and they were all really friendly and chatty. No problems there. There are fairly large lockers to keep your stuff in (although you have to bring your own padlock) and it was very clean. The only minor criticism that I could think of would be that the beds in my room were made of metal and were very creaky (annoying when you're trying to creep into bed) but some dormitories that I saw had wooden beds.

Amenities: The bathrooms were absolutely fine. They were always clean and not very busy. I never had to wait to have a shower or use the sink and the water was always hot. There were also some great tours and trips that were co-ordinated by the hostel and advertised with sign-up sheets in the lobby. These were all free or very cheap. I went on the Harlem gospel one on the Sunday and it was great.

All-in-all, a great experience!

Tip: if you're travelling back to the hostel on the subway late at night you'll probably be on an express train that misses out some stops. The stop closest to the hotel is 103rd Street (on Broadway). Make sure that on the stops leading up to this one that you listen to the announcement of the next stop. It sometimes stopped at 103rd Street and you could get off there but sometimes skipped this station. If it does skip the station, get off at 96th Street and walk north. Don't stay on the train until 110th Street and Central Park North (I made this mistake one night and it didn't feel particularly safe - there was a lot of staring).

Have fun! It'll be great! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MollyJessicaAnn

Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was my first stop on a long trip around the USA and set the bar high. The kitchen facilities were amazing. So well equipped and continually being cleaned. Plenty of storage and seating. There were loads of activities going on and lots of social space, though we didn't make much use of it. The little cafe was a great addition. Staff were really friendly and helpful with lots of information available about anything you might want to do. Plenty of lockers if you need to store your things at any point (though you do have to pay).
The bathrooms were really modern and clean though there weren't really enough showers- I had to queue a couple of times. Again the bedrooms were very clean. Lockers in the room weren't big enough for my bag but big enough to put valuable things in.
I felt very safe where we were and the location was reasonable. You do have to get a subway to all the major attractions but they're so spread out across Manhatten anyway you would have to do this anywhere you stayed. The sub station was just a couple of minutes walk. Plenty of restaurants and shops in the immediate area.
My only complaint was the noise at night. We were on one of the lower floors and I think it was the music in reception I could hear all night every night which seemed pretty unnecessary. The beds were also very creaky. If you want a good nights sleep I would pay more to go in the smaller dorms on the higher floors where you can't hear it (we did stay in one of the higher rooms for our last night and it was very quiet).

Room Tip: Get a dorm on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful hostel located in a safe area, upper west side of Manhattan, two minutes walk from subway station, easy to find and easy to get around. A little bit pricy, 186 dollars for only three nights, the most expensive hostel I have ever stayed in my life. However, the bedroom was big enough for 12 girls, I did not feel uncomfortable. The bathroom was extremely clean, the cleanest I have ever experienced, maybe because no one actually took shower in winter. The best thing was that the hostel organized so many activities, they were all fun, especially grand tour with Jerry, 14 hours walking tour. Another good thing was that it was the place to meet people for those who travel alone. I definitely stay here again whenever I come to New York City.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was more comfortable with my second stay since I noticed, when we arrived, that they continually man both desks and are more aware of who is coming and going into the hostel. This hostel is very clean and the rooms and bathrooms have been renovated. Also the room I was in was "electronics" friendly. They've added individual light fixtures for each bed and the fixture has an outlet on each side.

Since my last visit they've added basement lockers for storage of items. The current charge is $5 for one-time entry. The lockers are HUGE! My friend and I shared one and we both had luggage and items we had purchased during our stay.

Room Tip: Try for a room away from the bathrooms. The bathroom main door and the doors for each stall SLAM sh...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank EowynTravels
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at this hostel two years ago for the first ago. Because I loved my first stay here, I booked this hostel again the second time around in NY. The hostel is a little expensive compared to for example the cost of hostels in Europe. But for NY and the great service you get, it's probably worth your money. The hostel is located on the upper west side near harlem, conveniently near two metro lines. The area is safe with lots of good foodie places and bars around. The staff of the hostel is very helpful and cheerful. The checkin is open 24hrs and the staff is always willing to give you some good advice on where to go in NY. The rooms are indeed a bit crowded with 4 to 8 beds. Beds and linens are clean, lockers are really practical. Bathrooms, showers are superclean. Hostel can be a bit noisy because so many people are staying there. This is also an advantage: There are always some people around to hang out with plus the hostel organizes loads of free activities. I only joined these activities during my first stay, and missed it during my second stay. Overall i would greatly recommend this hostel!

Room Tip: Book a room of 4.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Very positive experience and I would definitely stay here again. Guests should be prepared for the large groups of school kids that stay here on their New York trips. They can be a bit noisy sometimes. The location was very good, cheaper prices than downtown in the area but still very good connections along all of eastern Manhattan! Totally recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I went to this hostel just for one night between the 8-9th of December with another friend. Having stayed at Hi Boston, we couldnt help but to compare both hostels as we had such a great experience in the previous one; however NY was disappointing.

First, the staff was quite cold and not very keen to help, it was clear we were bothering them. The girl at the counter tried to charge us 20$ extra but I was lucky to have my booking printed with me. Just one of them was nice and helped us to choose a very nice Italian restaurant (Celeste, check it out).

Then, the room was incredibly cold which made us turn the heating on which was making as much noise as a pane reactor: perfect to sleep, uh? The beds were not very comfy and the sheets given too small but it could have been okay without this noise vs. cold trade-off. In addition to that, the noise insulation of the building is terrible so we were hearing the staff moving furniture around until 1am and then were woken up at 6am: great!

Finally, there were little things that we kept comparing to Boston like the fact that there was no free breakfast, no cosy lounge and crowded bathrooms.

Conclusion: if you can find something better for 50$ a night, take it. And if you go to Boston, stay in the Hi Boston!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends