“5 star staff in a hostel.”

Hostelling International - New York
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“5 star staff in a hostel.”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The girl that checked us in was full of energy and really knowledgeable of the local area! Great service from all staff around the property.

The hostel organises tours daily - I'd reccommend 'Jerry's walking tour'. This man is probably the only man in NYC that isn't after all your money. It's $10 and our tour lasted from 9.30am until 12 midnight! Seriously cannot stress enough how much you will enjoy this tour from a man with a great insight of NYC. (Avoid the club tours we went on New Years and this is the only time the hostel staff let us down and actually just abandoned us at the club after having paid $40 entry)

The hostel itself is clean with bed service daily, very large shower rooms on each floor that were never dirty or with large queues. It also has a nice cafe that is rather cheap although, in the area there are a lot of nice places to eat.

All in all it was a great stay! Bring ear plugs as the one thing the hostel doesn't control is your roommates!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank deansmith333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights in January. As a solo traveller I like the big hostels where I am a chance of meeting people. I paid the extra money to stay in a 6-bed room and was pleased that for the duration of the stay there were never more than two other people in the room. The hostel has plenty of pre-arranged activities, although in a city such as New York you shouldn't need any help keeping busy. I went on Ed's Brooklyn tour on the first morning of my stay and it was absolutely awesome. There are also comedy shows, welcome parties and clubbing nights several times a week. The hostel has it's own cafe with a large range of food and drinks, and a lot of common space for guests to use.

The location is fine with several metro stations nearby providing access to different train lines, and Central Park is only a few blocks away. That being said, the hostel is a fair way out of the city centre so it can take a while to get around, although the trains run all night and you will always find your way back.

The rooms are well maintained and lockers are provided. Housekeeping is done whenever a guest checks out, which should happen every couple of days at least. Towels and blankets are provided. The only downside is the lack of power supply in the rooms. In this modern age all travellers carry any combination of phones, cameras, laptops, iPads and god knows what other devices that need to be regularly charged. One power socket per bed should be provided, yet I could see only 4 in the room. It might have been difficult if the room was full. Security in the rooms is good, with swipe card access and lockers provided.

The bathrooms are well kept and clean. There is only one male and one female bathroom on the fourth floor which can be a hassle. The male one contains only one toilet and two showers, one of which is not hot enough. Straight down the stairs to the third floor however there is a much bigger bathroom with lots of toilets and showers.

The general security of the hostel leaves a little to be desired. While there is swipe card access to get past the lobby, the doors are regularly not locked and if they are it is very easy for outsiders to follow the guests through to the common areas.

The elevator is also not up to a suitable standard. There is only one for the entire building and guests are regularly queuing with cleaning staff and their massive trolleys. At any time the lift is very slow and on one occasion it did not even show up to the 4th floor despite me standing there for 5 minutes and pressing the button multiple times. I would hate to be relying on it on a busy day.

Included in the extra price of my room was breakfast. I never expect much out of an included breakfast but I expect more than what is provided here. There is a choice of bagel, donut and cereal, a choice of drink and a piece of fruit. I tried the bagels on a few occasions and was never satisfied. They were like leather and the cream cheese was packed on as a desperate attempt to hide the fact that the bagels were completely tasteless. After I gave up on those I tried the donuts, and these tasted ok but were very light and hardly an adequate breakfast. The coffee varied between too hot and lukewarm. The only fruit on offer generally was apples and bananas. If getting breakfast included is generally a deal breaker, don't allow it to be here.

In summary, this hostel is ok and apart from a few little bugbears there aren't any major complaints from me. I would consider staying here in the future if I'm lucky enough to be in New York again. I would just say that while NYC is incredibly expensive for accommodation, for $54 a night in a hostel I expected something more than I've had in other places I've stayed in, and I didn't get it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Clean and comfortable rooms, Good atmosphere, a bit on the expensive side but what isn't in New york. Good social areas and kitchen. Security is very good.
Great wifi access and desktops with printers available if needed. Not much in the area, a few smaller shops. Has great access to the metro. A fair distance form town but Metro fares are reasonable in New york city. Had a flight from La guardia airport and there is a bus stop about a 10 minute walk from the hostel that went direct and was only a local fare. Airconditioned in the summer so a relief when its hot outside.
would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The cleanliness is disgusting! I was there in July 2012. Someone had gone to the toilet on the couch (number 2) in the common room. There looked like a homeless looking guy on the couch in there before. The security is not very good with people being able to tailgate others in without a hitch. It is a massive hostel with heaps of guests. My experience wasn't the best. I got checked into a room with my locker already taken and my bed with someone's stuff and unmade. 3 hours later I was told oh sorry that bed is already taken we will change your room. I then moved to a small dorm and that was terrible! The aircon was emitting a bad smell and everyone in the room would cough. By the second night I lost my voice and asked them to look at it, one of the guys working there comes I to the room and turns it off saying that's bad you should complain! I checked out the next day unable to stay there anymore! I had a terrible cough for a few weeks after from what I believe to be the aircon. The area is ok but probably not the safest. It's near the subway which is handy but it's also behind a 'project' which in my Country is State run housing commission. I would recommend finding another place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Pamela L
Turku, Finland
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times, each time in a dorm I have stayed there during both winter and summer during my exchange year and on both occasions I slept really well, not too hot or too cold. A great place to meet people! The place organizes a lot of social events, I would definitely recommend the Brooklyn tourThe location is great, Upper West Side is a nice neighborhood and it's really close to the subway, so it's easy to get around NYC. Also the staff is very helpful and the WiFi works perfectly, I even did an online exam there :) The atmosphere is truly amazing, so I really recommend this hostel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This place is okay. I am a single traveller and prefer to stay where I can meet other people. The place does do well to create social events, but the places they go to are average (to say the least). The pub crawl goes to pubs that no New Yorker would attend. I had much better luck meeting locals who showed me around to the proper New York nightlife in east/so ho/meatpaking/Brooklyn. I never attended any if the daytime tours but I heard from other backpackers that they were good. Lastly, the rooms are what you would expect for a backpackers, no complaints in that department. Price hike over Xmas is expected. Great common room area and cafe downstairs. Fire alarm went off every morning at around 8:00am. Was a repetitive daily occurrence for the duration of my stay.

• Stayed December 2012
edinburgh scotland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

this place is wild. if you love to party and always keep on the move i have to say this is the best hostel i have EVER stayed in. they have day trips, evening trips, pub/club crawls. the lot! if you prefer a more quiet stay then that can also be had. the place is huge and i never found the rooms to be noisy. they have great welcome parties on thursday nights which are fun and great way to meet new people. i loved the place and will always return!

Room Tip: higher floors are better