“Reasonable”

Hostelling International - New York
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Clean and comfortable rooms, Good atmosphere, a bit on the expensive side but what isn't in New york. Good social areas and kitchen. Security is very good.
Great wifi access and desktops with printers available if needed. Not much in the area, a few smaller shops. Has great access to the metro. A fair distance form town but Metro fares are reasonable in New york city. Had a flight from La guardia airport and there is a bus stop about a 10 minute walk from the hostel that went direct and was only a local fare. Airconditioned in the summer so a relief when its hot outside.
would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The cleanliness is disgusting! I was there in July 2012. Someone had gone to the toilet on the couch (number 2) in the common room. There looked like a homeless looking guy on the couch in there before. The security is not very good with people being able to tailgate others in without a hitch. It is a massive hostel with heaps of guests. My experience wasn't the best. I got checked into a room with my locker already taken and my bed with someone's stuff and unmade. 3 hours later I was told oh sorry that bed is already taken we will change your room. I then moved to a small dorm and that was terrible! The aircon was emitting a bad smell and everyone in the room would cough. By the second night I lost my voice and asked them to look at it, one of the guys working there comes I to the room and turns it off saying that's bad you should complain! I checked out the next day unable to stay there anymore! I had a terrible cough for a few weeks after from what I believe to be the aircon. The area is ok but probably not the safest. It's near the subway which is handy but it's also behind a 'project' which in my Country is State run housing commission. I would recommend finding another place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Pamela L
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times, each time in a dorm I have stayed there during both winter and summer during my exchange year and on both occasions I slept really well, not too hot or too cold. A great place to meet people! The place organizes a lot of social events, I would definitely recommend the Brooklyn tourThe location is great, Upper West Side is a nice neighborhood and it's really close to the subway, so it's easy to get around NYC. Also the staff is very helpful and the WiFi works perfectly, I even did an online exam there :) The atmosphere is truly amazing, so I really recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This place is okay. I am a single traveller and prefer to stay where I can meet other people. The place does do well to create social events, but the places they go to are average (to say the least). The pub crawl goes to pubs that no New Yorker would attend. I had much better luck meeting locals who showed me around to the proper New York nightlife in east/so ho/meatpaking/Brooklyn. I never attended any if the daytime tours but I heard from other backpackers that they were good. Lastly, the rooms are what you would expect for a backpackers, no complaints in that department. Price hike over Xmas is expected. Great common room area and cafe downstairs. Fire alarm went off every morning at around 8:00am. Was a repetitive daily occurrence for the duration of my stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 7, 2013

this place is wild. if you love to party and always keep on the move i have to say this is the best hostel i have EVER stayed in. they have day trips, evening trips, pub/club crawls. the lot! if you prefer a more quiet stay then that can also be had. the place is huge and i never found the rooms to be noisy. they have great welcome parties on thursday nights which are fun and great way to meet new people. i loved the place and will always return!

Room Tip: higher floors are better
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed for 5 days in April as my performing arts group were doing a show in New York. I absolutely loved it! All the girls were bunked up in one room like a massive sleepover, it was hilarious! It was near to the subway, the atmosphere was electric and there was always people to meet!

One downside was how noisy it got, the floor below us was the "common room" and some nights there was constant thumping of music which got pretty tiring after a while. The public areas inside the hostel were lovely and were easy to chill out in - one night we were entertained by a stand up comedy set which was pretty good, and different!

I'd recommend to shower early as the queues can be a bit of an effort.

Definitely recommend to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed durring Christmas time for 3 nights. I came here as a last resort . I have never stayed at a hostel and i was very suprised and satisfied with how clean and comfortable my stay was. The staff was helpful and nice (Especially Jimmy who was a sweetheart). I enjoyed the welcome party's with two complimentary drinks . The hostel was very informative on events and free things to do around town. Next time I will be staying here when I return.

• Stayed: December 2012